A New Category of Sloth

Old December 20th 05, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default NHTSA -- Was: A New Category of Sloth

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, DYM wrote:

> Thanks for the well reasoned and inciteful response. Believe me, I do
> understand the difference between a vehicle speeding just before a crash
> and the speed of the vehicle as a contributing factor. The only thing I
> can say at this point (until I can research this more) is that in every
> crash the speed of the vehicle is a contributing factor. This is because
> the speed of the vehicle has a big impact on the amount of kenitic
> engery that must be released at impact.

Certainly. Another excellent source of information is Dr. Leonard Evans,
www.scienceservingsociety.com .
Old December 20th 05, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:18:31 GMT, DYM > wrote:

>The only thing I
>can say at this point (until I can research this more) is that in every
>crash the speed of the vehicle is a contributing factor. This is because
>the speed of the vehicle has a big impact

You couldn't be any punnier if you tried.

Old December 20th 05, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:18:31 GMT, DYM > wrote:
>
>>The only thing I
>>can say at this point (until I can research this more) is that in every
>>crash the speed of the vehicle is a contributing factor. This is because
>>the speed of the vehicle has a big impact

> You couldn't be any punnier if you tried.

Speed is a "contributing factor" to the RESULTS of the crash(how much
damage),not necessarily the CAUSE of the crash.
I believe that more often,other things CAUSE the crashes,far more often
than just excessive speed.Like improper lane changes(not LOOKING before
changing lanes!),running red lights,failure to yield,equipment
failures(tires),for a few examples.
Not paying attention to driving is an increasing cause of many
accidents,IMO.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old December 21st 05, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, DYM wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the well reasoned and inciteful response. Believe me, I do
> > understand the difference between a vehicle speeding just before a crash
> > and the speed of the vehicle as a contributing factor. The only thing I
> > can say at this point (until I can research this more) is that in every
> > crash the speed of the vehicle is a contributing factor. This is because
> > the speed of the vehicle has a big impact on the amount of kenitic
> > engery that must be released at impact.

> Certainly. Another excellent source of information is Dr. Leonard Evans,
> www.scienceservingsociety.com .

Source of information, perhaps, but he advocates automated enforcement
of various laws including speed and red light cameras, which seems to
me an overly simplistic view of the issue of road safety.

Speaking of which, the AAA is shooting off their collective mouths
about Virginia not being able to use RLC's anymore...

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet...=1128768819619

sounds like Virginia Beach needs to check their yellow light times...
but of course that's not the popular nor lucrative course of action

nate

Old December 21st 05, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:18:31 GMT, DYM > wrote:
>
>>The only thing I
>>can say at this point (until I can research this more) is that in every
>>crash the speed of the vehicle is a contributing factor. This is because
>>the speed of the vehicle has a big impact

> You couldn't be any punnier if you tried.

Why thank you, it's one of my better qualities.

Doug
Old December 21st 05, 06:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, N8N wrote:

>> Certainly. Another excellent source of information is Dr. Leonard
>> Evans, www.scienceservingsociety.com .

> Source of information, perhaps, but he advocates automated enforcement
> of various laws including speed and red light cameras, which seems to
> me an overly simplistic view of the issue of road safety.

Of course it is that. That's why I specifically mentioned it as a source
of information.

Old December 21st 05, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

> Speaking of which, the AAA is shooting off their collective mouths
> about Virginia not being able to use RLC's anymore...
>
> http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet...=1128768819619
>
> sounds like Virginia Beach needs to check their yellow light times...
> but of course that's not the popular nor lucrative course of action
>
> nate

Quote from above article:

"
When a driver ran a red light and crashed into her car seven years ago,
Laura Nichols was so badly injured that rescue workers thought she was dead.
She suffered a broken pelvis and the loss of sight in her left eye, among
other injuries.

The wreck, which occurred in Newport News, took place about 10 in the
morning several days after her 20th birthday.

"My accident could have very well been prevented" if there had been a camera
in place to catch red-light runners, she said."

(end quote)

Uhhh . . . Laura, I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune, and glad that you
survived the collision. If a red light camera had been there, it would have
possibly taken a picture of the incident. Would that really have made you
feel better? That is, would you be happier now if you could use your one
good eye to view the picture that the red light camera took of when your
body was mangled by a driver running a red light? When lights are properly
timed, red light running is greatly reduced. When red light cameras are
installed, rear-end collisions are greatly increased. If you care about
safety, you should be lobbying to have lights timed correctly and red light
cameras OUTLAWED. I can understand your being quite emotional about this
issue, considering what you've been through. For your friends and family
still in the area, YOU can make a difference. Lobby to have all the lights
in your area properly timed. Turning red light cameras back on will not
prevent what happened to you. -Dave

Old December 21st 05, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Mike T." > wrote in
reenews.net:

> "My accident could have very well been prevented" if there had been a
> camera in place to catch red-light runners, she said."
>

> (end quote)
>

> Uhhh . . . Laura, I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune, and glad
> that you survived the collision. If a red light camera had been
> there, it would have possibly taken a picture of the incident.

Yes,and a ticket received in the mail a few weeks later!
(and who knows how many -more- RLs ran in that time period)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik