Hybrid Lovers Read This and Lament

Old November 21st 05, 05:50 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Hybrid Lovers Read This and Lament

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, NJ Vike quoted from Car & Driver:

> Although the warranties are for eight years or 100,000 miles, battery
> replacement will cost $5300 for the Toyota and Lexus hybrids, and the
> Ford Escape replacements run a whopping $7200. Moreover, the industry
> types aren't talking about total battery life. Will they actually last
> 100,000 miles?

No. My officemate has an '03 Honda Civic hybrid. It started giving
problems on his way from Montreal to Toronto. The Integrated Motor Assist
system went offline, which also meant the SLI battery (Starting, Lighting,
Ignition -- the conventional 12v item under the hood) was not being
charged. When he limped into the parking lot, his SLI battery read 9.9v.

Towed to the dealer, who after three days gave the diagnostic report: The
traction battery's dead. Good thing the battery warranty is 6 years,
otherwise it'd be a C$8,000+ event. Dealer claims this is the first-ever
failure of a traction battery in a Honda hybrid of any year or model,
anywhere in the world (Sure, right...) and that a new traction battery has
to be brought in from Japan, which will take AT LEAST three weeks.

Of course, there are multiple different issues going on here. There's the
car problem itself, then there's the dealer's fairy tales. I can think of
half a dozen courier companies that'll happily get a package from Japan to
North America in a matter of a couple of days, so that shoots the "three
weeks to come from Japan" theory all to hell. And if this were indeed the
very first-ever instance of this heretofore unheard-of failure in one of
Honda's high-profile, high-PR-value enviro models, one would think the
company would be falling all over itself to make the repair as quickly as
possible to keep the customer as quiet as possible about it.

> How will this affect resale value?

Pah. What resale value? This kind of traction battery failure does NOT
bode well for the durability of these cars. Sure, it's covered under his
battery warranty. The new replacement battery does not reset the battery
warranty clock. What about in 5 years? They are disposable cars. 10 years
*tops*. More like "end of warranty plus time to next failure".

> This brings up an undiscussed issue: At some point, all these hybrid
> batteries will die and have to be disposed of somewhere, somehow. These
> are hardly biodegradable items like spoiled vegetables. They are in fact
> self-contained toxic waste dumps. How and where millions of these
> poisonous boxes will be deposited in the new hybrid nirvana has yet to
> be considered, much less resolved.

NiMH batteries are indeed hair-raisingly toxic and expensive to
reclaim/recycle. Once no longer in the dealer chain, they will simply get
tossed -- along with the rest of the car.

DS
Old November 21st 05, 06:35 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

The whole idea of hybrids is stupid. Just make cars smaller and leave
out all the useless crap. Detroit could easily build a 2500 pound
family car that gives 40 mpg and costs $8,000 brand new and gives
250,000 trouble-free miles on nothing but routine maintenance.

Old November 21st 05, 06:46 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend, > was motivated
to say this in rec.autos.driving on 21 Nov 2005 09:35:24 -0800:
> Detroit could easily build a 2500 pound
> family car that gives 40 mpg and costs $8,000 brand new and gives
> 250,000 trouble-free miles on nothing but routine maintenance.

<intro to business lesson>

Then why don't they?

</intro to business lesson>

Old November 21st 05, 09:58 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

necromancer wrote:
> Laura Bush murdered her boy friend, > was motivated
> to say this in rec.autos.driving on 21 Nov 2005 09:35:24 -0800:
> > Detroit could easily build a 2500 pound
> > family car that gives 40 mpg and costs $8,000 brand new and gives
> > 250,000 trouble-free miles on nothing but routine maintenance.
> >

> <intro to business lesson>
>
> Then why don't they?

Cause they make more selling the $50,000 cars with all sorts of
useless gadgets. You think they sell AC and CD players and electric
seats at cost??

Old November 22nd 05, 12:16 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> necromancer wrote:
> > Laura Bush murdered her boy friend, > was motivated
> > to say this in rec.autos.driving on 21 Nov 2005 09:35:24 -0800:
> > > Detroit could easily build a 2500 pound
> > > family car that gives 40 mpg and costs $8,000 brand new and gives
> > > 250,000 trouble-free miles on nothing but routine maintenance.
> > >

> > <intro to business lesson>
> >
> > Then why don't they?

> Cause they make more selling the $50,000 cars with all sorts of
> useless gadgets. You think they sell AC and CD players and electric
> seats at cost??

Have a good weekend at the bath house, pud licker?

Old November 22nd 05, 05:13 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On 21 Nov 2005 12:58:30 -0800, "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend"
> wrote:

>necromancer wrote:
>> Laura Bush murdered her boy friend, > was motivated
>> to say this in rec.autos.driving on 21 Nov 2005 09:35:24 -0800:
>> > Detroit could easily build a 2500 pound
>> > family car that gives 40 mpg and costs $8,000 brand new and gives
>> > 250,000 trouble-free miles on nothing but routine maintenance.
>> >

>> <intro to business lesson>
>>
>> Then why don't they?

Because they are too saddled with pension and health care obligations
thanks to Organized Labor.

>Cause they make more selling the $50,000 cars with all sorts of
>useless gadgets. You think they sell AC and CD players and electric
>seats at cost??

Don't forget the most useless gadgets of all: alarm systems...

Old December 17th 05, 09:20 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

>>Because they are too saddled with pension and health care obligations
thanks to Organized Labor. <<

The nerve of those workers, wanting something so frivolous for all
those years of sweat.

Old November 22nd 05, 12:09 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

What would you expect form a guy that says Mrs. Bush murder someone? LOL

mike

th.net...

Old November 22nd 05, 07:57 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:09:54 -0500, "Mike Hunter"
> was understood to have stated the following:

>What would you expect form a guy that says Mrs. Bush murder someone? LOL

Not much...

Which is exactly what we get.

--

"Laura Bush Murdered Her Boyfriend" brags of it's homosexuallity:

the guys at the bath-house stopped laughing at my 3 inch weenie.
: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...1dd649fb?hl=en

Joshua Calvert > demonstrates his lack of understanding of the terms "sarcasm", "irony", and "hypocrisy":
Poor rightard, forced to whine about an 40 year old event.