Arco gas?

Old July 23rd 07, 10:16 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
claymore

Default Arco gas?

Steve wrote:
:: wrote:
::
::: I noticed that Arco is the cheapest priced gas around.
::: Is there anything wrong with it or it bad for Honda engines?
:::
::
:: A Honda engine is no different than any other. As for ARCO, they
:: pulled out of my area so long ago that I didn't even realize they
:: were still in business.

Why buy Arco and give Hugo Chavez more profit?

Old July 23rd 07, 11:30 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Steve[_1_]

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article >,
> Steve > wrote:
>

>>>If you have an older car, you may want to run several tanks of Shell 93
>>>in it first to get the additional cleaners through the system to clean
>>>it out. Again, see toptiergas.com.

>>Shell 93 doesn't have any more DETERGENTS than any other grade. Its just
>>a higher octane.

> No, Shell's 93 does in fact have more detergents than their other grades.

Not according to Shell. "Same great cleaning in ALL gasoline grades!"

But Chevron is far better anyway- I make sure to run a tank of Chevron
through after every few tanks of Shell.
Old July 24th 07, 12:34 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul D. DeRocco

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote
>
> You think "premium" means "better", which is what the gas company wants
> you to believe.

No, premium means higher octane, meaning more of the components that slow
down the burn and avoid pinging. Some engines run better on higher octane,
and some get higher mileage. Some don't. I was trying to figure out if mine
did.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto

Old July 24th 07, 12:37 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul D. DeRocco

> "jim beam" > wrote
> you measured but you don't believe it???

Only because I can't think of a mechanism that would explain the car feeling
slightly better when running on premium, but getting slightly poorer gas
mileage. So I figured that the driving conditions varied enough that even
ten tankfuls of each wasn't enough to average out the differences, and I was
still seeing measurement noise. That was my original point. The car does
have a knock sensor, by the way.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto

Old July 24th 07, 12:44 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul D. DeRocco

>> claymore wrote:
>>
>> Why buy Arco and give Hugo Chavez more profit?

> "Steve" > wrote
> Maybe because you're confusing Citgo with Arco?
>
> :-)

I don't by Arco, by the way, because they're owned by BP, and BP has those
really offensive TV ads where they attempt to show how environmentally hip
they are. They do "person-in-the-street" interviews in which they let
inarticulate ignorant illiterate bimbos and schmucks tell them they ought to
be trying to find alternative energy sources instead of oil, and they put
them on TV as though they agree with them. Just be what you a a goddamn
OIL company.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto

Old July 24th 07, 01:11 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul D. DeRocco

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote
>
> It's your mind, fool.
>
> Here's an idea: have someone else fill up the car, but don't tell you
> what's in it.
>
> You have fooled yourself into believing that "premium gas" equals
> "better" and so you THINK the car "feels slightly better".
>
> You, sir, are a fuel marketer's dream customer.

You, sir, are a monumental asshole. I'd much prefer it if regular felt
better, because I do indeed run the car on regular.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto

Old July 24th 07, 01:11 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Elmo P. Shagnasty

In article >,
Steve > wrote:

> >>Shell 93 doesn't have any more DETERGENTS than any other grade. Its just
> >>a higher octane.

> > No, Shell's 93 does in fact have more detergents than their other grades.
> >

> Not according to Shell. "Same great cleaning in ALL gasoline grades!"

Can you quote me somewhere that says that?

How about this:

http://tinyurl.com/yo2roc

Quote:

"Shell regular and mid-grade gasolines contain more than twice the
amount of detergents required by the EPA. This level of protection helps
prevent the future build-up of carbon deposits on your vehicle's intake
valves or fuel injectors. However, if you use discount gasolines, you
may already have intake valve or fuel injector deposits, which may need
to be cleaned up. That is where Shell V-Power(R) comes in...."

"On today's tough, demanding roads, performance is what counts. At
Shell, we believe all great performances begin with a clean engine.
Shell V-Power(R) premium gasoline can clean up deposits on intake valves
and fuel injectors left behind by low detergent gasolines. That's
because it contains more than five times the amount of cleaning agents
required by government standards...."

So Shell's Top Tier fuels contain "more than twice the amount of
detergents" required by law while their V-Power--which, unfortunately,
comes only in 90-93 octane depending on where you live--contains "more
than five times the amount of cleaning agents" required by law.

So the fact is, you can't provide a link or ANYTHING from Shell that
says, "same great cleaning in all gasoline grades".

Old July 24th 07, 03:47 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Michael R. Kesti[_2_]

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote:

>You have fooled yourself into believing that "premium gas" equals
>"better" and so you THINK the car "feels slightly better".
>
>You, sir, are a fuel marketer's dream customer.

I can top that!

A few months ago when fuel prices were very high I was filling up and
an acquaintence pulls into the station. We exchanged comments about
the prices and he says that it's especially bad because he had to fill
with premium this time. I asked why and he said that he had a smog test
scheduled in a few days and the premium would help ensure passing the
test! I just turned back to my task without saying a word.

Old July 24th 07, 03:52 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>> "jim beam" > wrote
>> you measured but you don't believe it???

> Only because I can't think of a mechanism that would explain the car feeling
> slightly better when running on premium, but getting slightly poorer gas
> mileage. So I figured that the driving conditions varied enough that even
> ten tankfuls of each wasn't enough to average out the differences, and I was
> still seeing measurement noise. That was my original point. The car does
> have a knock sensor, by the way.

knock sensors are generaly there to retard ignition in the event that a
premium tuned car is filled with regular. protection the other way
around is not required, so what you're experiencing is probably ignition
that's /too/ retarded relative to the gasoline combustion rates, hence
smoother [lower yield] power strokes. and lower gas mileage.