Four Killed as JPL Commuter Van Plunges Off 200' Cliff

Old December 9th 04, 04:22 AM
nooobody

Default Four Killed as JPL Commuter Van Plunges Off 200' Cliff

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> As reported on the KTLA Morning News, a commuter van transporting
> employees of the jet propulsion laboratory in Pasadena plunged off a

cliff (...)

sounds like too low of a lift to drag ratio

Old December 9th 04, 04:22 AM
nooobody

Old December 9th 04, 06:38 PM

It is tragic that three people should die in a van crash. What may be
even more tragic is the outcry that will come from "safety experts"
calling for dual rear wheels to prevent rollover of vans.

What may even be more tragic are crash invetigators looking to "fix the
blame" rather than fix the problem.

The press releases will say the road was built to specification. Yes,
four inch shoulder drop offs are within spec on some roads. A week or
more to replace curve warning signs is not uncommon.

Sadly, this will just be another "accident". It should be treated like
a crash and ALL preventive measures should be presented.

Was the driver trained in van charateristics?

How was the van loaded?

What were the tire pressures?

The crash made news, I believe, only because it involved a van.

At the same time, the five or six deaths involving police chase related
red light running crashes in the last week go unreported.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...132809990024&_...
Updated: 03:09 PM EST 12/08/04
Van Rolls Down Mountain Killing Three

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 8) - A commuter van from NASA's Jet Propulsion
Laboratory tumbled 200 feet off a twisting mountain road Wednesday,
killing three people and injuring seven, one critically, authorities
said.

The van carrying 10 people including the driver, plunged off Angeles
Crest Highway in the Angeles National Forest at about 6:30 a.m. and
rolled down the mountainside, Los Angeles County Fire Department
inspector Ron Haralson said.

"One person was able to get out of the van and make his way up to the
road" to get help, Haralson said.