[96 Accord LX] Intermittent Speedometer issue

Old February 28th 05, 04:39 AM
Paul Jackson

Default [96 Accord LX] Intermittent Speedometer issue

Hello,

The speedometer on my 96 Accord LX has started to behave erratically.
Sometimes it will work fine. Other times it will appear dead and come
to life after the car has been driven a while.
Other times it will start and stop randomly while driving.

The odometer seems to be working fine though.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this and if this is a
relatively easy fix for a non-mechanic?

I have the Chiltons book 30152 and I can't find anything other than a
recommendation to check/replace the speed sensor wiring/unit. There is
nothing that shows you how to actually *do* it though.

TIA
Old February 28th 05, 06:38 PM
halo2 guy

if the odometer is working fine then I would think the speed sensor is ok
because I believe it utilizes the same input for both. I might be inclined
to believe the actual speedometer unit itself might be bad.

Old March 1st 05, 01:13 AM
PaulHsu

"somewhereoveth" wrote:
> if the odometer is working fine then I would think the speed
> sensor is ok
> because I believe it utilizes the same input for both. I
> might be inclined
> to believe the actual speedometer unit itself might be bad.
>

> "Paul Jackson" > wrote in
> message
> > Hello,
> >
> > The speedometer on my 96 Accord LX has started to behave

> erratically.
> > Sometimes it will work fine. Other times it will appear

> dead and come to
> > life after the car has been driven a while.
> > Other times it will start and stop randomly while driving.
> >
> > The odometer seems to be working fine though.
> >
> > Anyone have any idea what could be causing this and if this

> is a
> > relatively easy fix for a non-mechanic?
> >
> > I have the Chiltons book 30152 and I can't find anything

> other than a
> > recommendation to check/replace the speed sensor

> wiring/unit. There is
> > nothing that shows you how to actually *do* it though.
> >
> > TIA

I have an old honda have same problem.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Honda-96-A...ict105316.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=490476
Old March 3rd 05, 03:52 PM
speedy

The electroinis in the speedo have gone bad. If the sendsor was screwy
you wouldnt gat an odometer reading AND the check engine light would
come on since it does use speed as one of the computers calculations.

-SP

Old March 8th 05, 05:37 PM

speedy wrote:
> The electroinis in the speedo have gone bad. If the sendsor was

screwy
> you wouldnt gat an odometer reading AND the check engine light would
> come on since it does use speed as one of the computers calculations.
>
> -SP
>
> Paul Jackson wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > The speedometer on my 96 Accord LX has started to behave

erratically.
> > Sometimes it will work fine. Other times it will appear dead and

come
> > to life after the car has been driven a while.
> > Other times it will start and stop randomly while driving.
> >
> > The odometer seems to be working fine though.
> >
> > Anyone have any idea what could be causing this and if this is a
> > relatively easy fix for a non-mechanic?
> >
> > I have the Chiltons book 30152 and I can't find anything other than

> > recommendation to check/replace the speed sensor wiring/unit. There

is
> > nothing that shows you how to actually *do* it though.
> >
> > TIA

I had this problem with my '96 Civic. I replaced the speedo unit with
one from a junkyard (found online for $65.) I later had the same
problem with the new unit and it turned out to be a short in the engine
wiring harness near the intake manifold and throttle body. A little
electrical tape and a zip-tie and I was good to go.

Old March 13th 05, 07:05 PM
yol1260

"RSSHM" wrote:
> speedy wrote:
> > The electroinis in the speedo have gone bad. If the sendsor

> was
> screwy
> > you wouldnt gat an odometer reading AND the check engine

> light would
> > come on since it does use speed as one of the computers

> calculations.
> >
> > -SP
> >
> > Paul Jackson wrote:
> >

>  > > Hello,
>  > >
>  > > The speedometer on my 96 Accord LX has started to
> behave
> erratically.
>  > > Sometimes it will work fine. Other times it will
> appear dead and
> come
>  > > to life after the car has been driven a while.
>  > > Other times it will start and stop randomly while
> driving.
>  > >
>  > > The odometer seems to be working fine though.
>  > >
>  > > Anyone have any idea what could be causing this and
> if this is a
>  > > relatively easy fix for a non-mechanic?
>  > >
>  > > I have the Chiltons book 30152 and I can't find
> anything other than
>  > > recommendation to check/replace the speed sensor
> wiring/unit. There
> is
>  > > nothing that shows you how to actually *do* it
> though.
>  > >
>  > > TIA
>
> I had this problem with my '96 Civic. I replaced the speedo
> unit with
> one from a junkyard (found online for $65.) I later had the
> same
> problem with the new unit and it turned out to be a short in
> the engine
> wiring harness near the intake manifold and throttle body. A
> little
> electrical tape and a zip-tie and I was good to go.

The 96’ Accord LX has an Electronic Speed Sensor (VSS) that is located
on the top of the transmission. I think all you need to do is to
replace that sensor. I replaced a used sensor which solved the same
problem that you have it with your car. You need to pay attention to
the very small pin that goes under the sensor, otherwise you lose it.
Good Luck.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Honda-96-A...ict105316.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=500374
Old March 13th 05, 07:33 PM
Michael Pardee

"yol1260" > wrote in message
news:1_500374_7fccafe572c5eb05bab01d5f04ce10a6@www .autoforumz.com...
> "RSSHM" wrote:
> > speedy wrote:
> > > The electroinis in the speedo have gone bad. If the sendsor

> > was
> > screwy
> > > you wouldnt gat an odometer reading AND the check engine

> > light would
> > > come on since it does use speed as one of the computers

> > calculations.
> > >
> > > -SP
> > >
> > > Paul Jackson wrote:
> > >

> >  > > Hello,
> >  > >
> >  > > The speedometer on my 96 Accord LX has started to
> > behave
> > erratically.
> >  > > Sometimes it will work fine. Other times it will
> > appear dead and
> > come
> >  > > to life after the car has been driven a while.
> >  > > Other times it will start and stop randomly while
> > driving.
> >  > >
> >  > > The odometer seems to be working fine though.
> >  > >
> >  > > Anyone have any idea what could be causing this and
> > if this is a
> >  > > relatively easy fix for a non-mechanic?
> >  > >
> >  > > I have the Chiltons book 30152 and I can't find
> > anything other than
> >  > > recommendation to check/replace the speed sensor
> > wiring/unit. There
> > is
> >  > > nothing that shows you how to actually *do* it
> > though.
> >  > >
> >  > > TIA
> >
> > I had this problem with my '96 Civic. I replaced the speedo
> > unit with
> > one from a junkyard (found online for $65.) I later had the
> > same
> > problem with the new unit and it turned out to be a short in
> > the engine
> > wiring harness near the intake manifold and throttle body. A
> > little
> > electrical tape and a zip-tie and I was good to go.

> The 96' Accord LX has an Electronic Speed Sensor (VSS) that is located
> on the top of the transmission. I think all you need to do is to
> replace that sensor. I replaced a used sensor which solved the same
> problem that you have it with your car. You need to pay attention to
> the very small pin that goes under the sensor, otherwise you lose it.
> Good Luck.
>
> --

Although the odometer is driven off the same sensor and it also feeds the
electronic transmission controller. That's what points to it being in the
speedometer electronics... normally a bad solder connection or electrolytic
capacitor.

Mike

Old March 15th 05, 12:40 AM
Mista Bone

Clean the connector at the VSS sensor first, that cures 99% of the VSS
codes.

I've sold 8-10 VSS senders on here and other forums, about 1/2 didn't help
but the cleaning did. I only asked $20 shipped for a VSS sensor ASSMEBLY
(Civic) which is dirt cheap!

http://www.autoforumz.com/Honda-96-A...dometer-issue-
ftopict105316.html

http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=500374