Ignition switch? Headlights cutting out.

Old December 23rd 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
timeOday

Default Ignition switch? Headlights cutting out.

My headlights (and rear defroster) are cutting out sometimes and it's
getting progressively worse. I can keep them on by holding the key in
the "start" position (just past the normal operating position), and if I
rattle the key sometimes the lights will stay on for a few moments, so I
think it's something with the ignition.

Could it possibly be the ignition switch? My worst fear is having to
replace the entire ignition and re-key the whole car.

It's a 98 Jetta GLX. How hard is it to change the ignition switch? I'm
worried it might be hard to access due to anti-theft considerations.

Old December 23rd 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

timeOday wrote:

> Could it possibly be the ignition switch? My worst fear is having to
> replace the entire ignition and re-key the whole car.

It could be the ignition switch. How big a bundle of keys do you hang
on it?

And, have you lubricated it lately? I loosen and flush out the skunge
with WD-40, followed with a high-film-strength PTFE-based oil... about
2 X per year. So far, so good. And that is all the vehicles VW or
otherwise.

Could also be the relays as both functions go through a relay (not the
same one) on your fuse panel. VW relays of that vintage are pretty
notoriously crappy.

Try cleaning the ignition switch first. It may take two tries if it is
really binding.

DO NOT USE A GRAPHITE BASED LUBRICANT!!!

Graphite is a good conductor. Oops!

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old December 24th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

timeOday wrote:

> Thanks. Do you just squirt the oil into the keyhole, or disassemble
> something first? Where does the oil run out?

I wrap a rag around the column and lock and spray away pretty
liberally. WD-40 is 100% volatile (eventually... faster in warm weather
of course) so it will dry But the point of it is to rinse out the crud
in the lock and free the cams that activate the switches. The PTFE oil
I use comes in a needle applicator which keeps it well confined. Just
wipe down when done, and then the next day.

> Any idea whether it's hard to replace the ignition switch, should that
> be necessary?

Plugs in and out, after getting to it. No big deal, really. If you
don't mind two keys, there is no reason to do the rest.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old December 24th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

If this was a vehicle running with DTR I would suspect the handbrake switch.
If not please disregard! ;-)

Happy Holidays to all!
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old December 25th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
timeOday

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> If this was a vehicle running with DTR I would suspect the handbrake switch.
> If not please disregard! ;-)

Pardon if I'm being dense, but what's DTR? The handbrake switch is one
of the many other electrical problems with this car. Sometimes when I'm
driving, the red "brake" light is on in the dash, even though the
handbrake is definitely all the way released.

Other electrical problems include nonworking power locks, broken CD
changer, 2 of the 4 power windows don't work, the keyfob transmitters
don't work, and once or twice it has blown a fuse for the electric
accessories. All that with only 75K miles on it. Whoever wired this
thing should be shot. Or more fittingly, electrocuted.
Old December 25th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Day Time Running lights which light up the headlights when the ign is ON and
the handbrake switch is OFF.

It depends on what year and which model VW you have.
Lets put that info in the Subject above. ;-)

. ..

Old December 25th 06, 07:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
timeOday

Default Ignition switch? Headlights cutting out. (1998 Jetta GLX)

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> Day Time Running lights which light up the headlights when the ign is ON and
> the handbrake switch is OFF.
>
> It depends on what year and which model VW you have.
> Lets put that info in the Subject above. ;-)

OK, should have put it in the title. But as mentioned in my original
post, it's a '98 Jetta GLX.
Old December 25th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

thanks
sometimes that info gets lost as the replies delete it.

you should have DTR (Day Time Running lights) on your '98 Jetta. Usually I
find that both bulbs are burnt out and the owner did not realize it. :-)
I have not seen a bad handbrake switch yet but it you are already having
that brake warning light problem, maybe it is in that switch. Of course
check the brake fluid level. ;-)
Do you have any exterior lights when the vehicle is running but sitting
still? What about when you turn the light switch on?
Do the high beams come on? Can they stay on with the ign on and the
headlight switch on?
If you pull up on the handbrake, does the warning light come on?
Have you owned this Jetta since new or could a previous owner have modified
the DTR system?

Old December 25th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, timeOday wrote:

>My headlights (and rear defroster) are cutting out sometimes and it's
>getting progressively worse. I can keep them on by holding the key in
>the "start" position (just past the normal operating position), and if I
>rattle the key sometimes the lights will stay on for a few moments, so I
>think it's something with the ignition.

By cutting out, you don't mean they are blinking at a somewhat
regular rate, do you?

Ignition Switch 79 SB rene VW air cooled 5 November 4th 05 09:12 PM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Ion intermittent ignition switch problem ELY Saturn 3 August 14th 04 03:18 AM
Switch to activate upon ignition? Michael Gaskins General 2 June 1st 04 07:12 PM
remove ignition switch on 92 spider voloce? ody Alfa Romeo 0 May 3rd 04 10:36 PM