"Gary", "Stuart"

Old July 18th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.rolls-royce-bentley

Default "Gary", "Stuart"

Hello, I'm just wondering what the following paragraph means:
"My test car was fitted with a Stuart. The Stuart's ability to
accelerate and brake without causing my champagne to fall over was
remarkable, and in direct contrast to the Gary that was installed in
the Maybach. The Gary hustled. If you're in a hurry you need a Gary.
The Stuart drove like a Buddhist butler."
Sourced from:
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...4449_2,00.html

I don't understand what Stuart and Gary refer to in this case; I'd
guess some sort of engine but I'm not sure and not too technical. I've
tried searching, but the names are pretty generic and I've not been
successful.

Thanks in advance.

Old July 18th 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.rolls-royce-bentley
MasterBlaster

> wrote

> Hello, I'm just wondering what the following paragraph means:
> "My test car was fitted with a Stuart. The Stuart's ability to
> accelerate and brake without causing my champagne to fall over was
> remarkable, and in direct contrast to the Gary that was installed in
> the Maybach. The Gary hustled. If you're in a hurry you need a Gary.
> The Stuart drove like a Buddhist butler."
> Sourced from:
> http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...4449_2,00.html
>
> I don't understand what Stuart and Gary refer to in this case; I'd
> guess some sort of engine but I'm not sure and not too technical. I've
> tried searching, but the names are pretty generic and I've not been
> successful.

3 paragraphs later:

"I spent four wonderful days BEING DRIVEN AROUND in these monsters"

Stuart and Gary are apparently the chauffeurs assigned to the cars.

Old July 18th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.rolls-royce-bentley

Thank you, that does seem somewhat plausible. However, it still puzzles
me that he would refer to them as "a Stuart", "the Gary", "a Gary", or
"the Stuart". Are you quite sure that these can't be nicknames or
shortenings of brand names for something engine-related?

Thanks.

Old July 19th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Knifeblade_03[_12_]

While the thought of the Stuart and Gary being person's names for
drivers is very plausible, is it possible that these are names used in
the UK for the transmissions? Weaving through the site U posted found
one 5 and one 6speed transmission, on the respective cars. A 5 or 6
speed trans., would allow for very smooth shifting.

Just a thought.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826