1998 Park Ave. ticking when accelerating

Old April 15th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1998 Park Ave. ticking when accelerating

I have a 98 Park Ave with 128k on the motor.
It seems to run fine but at times the acceleration is weak.

- When I start it in the morning it starts great but it makes a slight
noise and sounds a little loud (like exhaust?).
- It makes a ticking noise on the driver side while accelerating. Not
terribly loud but it gets louder the more I accelerate. It also sounds
like it's sucking air. Any help would be great.

Old April 15th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Could be an exhaust leak.

------------------------------------
Mike Mangione
http://www.carforums.net

Old April 16th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Sounds like a miss or perhaps is an exhaust manifold leak!

oups.com...

Old April 28th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Hey everyone,

I just got the car back from the shop...

1. There was a sticky lifter... they did an induction and let it sit
overnight to clear out carbon deposits and what not. It helped
performance wise but there is still a slight ticking. Only when I
accelerate and more when the car is cold

2. They also said there is an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold. I
will need to get a new one. Does anyone think the exhaust leak could
still be causing the ticking.

Thanks

Old April 28th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

criii wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I just got the car back from the shop...
>
> 1. There was a sticky lifter... they did an induction and let it sit
> overnight to clear out carbon deposits and what not. It helped
> performance wise but there is still a slight ticking. Only when I
> accelerate and more when the car is cold
>
> 2. They also said there is an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold. I
> will need to get a new one. Does anyone think the exhaust leak could
> still be causing the ticking.
>
> Thanks

Most definitely a leak at the exhaust manifold could cause a ticking
sound. I've seen cars with a hole in the manifold as well as a leak at
the gasket caused by a loosened bolt.

Old April 28th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

criii wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I just got the car back from the shop...
>
> 1. There was a sticky lifter... they did an induction and let it sit
> overnight to clear out carbon deposits and what not. It helped
> performance wise but there is still a slight ticking. Only when I
> accelerate and more when the car is cold
>
> 2. They also said there is an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold. I
> will need to get a new one. Does anyone think the exhaust leak could
> still be causing the ticking.
>
> Thanks

Absolutely. a small exhaust leak close to the heads can drive you nuts
because the sound can exactly mimic the sound of a valvetrain tick.

nate

Old April 28th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I just purchased an exhaust manifold online for about $72 including
shipping. My guy a the dealer said he could have it installed for about
$50. That should hopefully take care of all the problems. Everything
else works great. So fart I've dropped about $200 into it and I bought
it for $4200. I'll let everyone know if it's better after the install
of the new exhaust manifold

Old April 29th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

criii wrote:
> I just purchased an exhaust manifold online for about $72 including
> shipping. My guy a the dealer said he could have it installed for about
> $50. That should hopefully take care of all the problems. Everything
> else works great. So fart I've dropped about $200 into it and I bought
> it for $4200. I'll let everyone know if it's better after the install
> of the new exhaust manifold

==============
==============

2 things............

Where did you find "an exhaust manifold online for about $72 including
shipping" ???

and........

My guy at the dealer would laugh my ass out the shop if I even
suggested it "could"
be installed "for about $50"! (fact, not fiction)

so........
you got yerself a used car lot tech working on this thing?

if so...
be advised........
they are NOT considered dealer techs.

and.........
you get what you pay for,
so be prewarned.

respectfully submitted
for thought,

~:~
MarshMonster
~takes a hit off his dooby......gotta go fix that broken manifold bolt
now~

Old April 29th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

criii wrote:
> I just purchased an exhaust manifold online for about $72 including
> shipping. My guy a the dealer said he could have it installed for about
> $50. That should hopefully take care of all the problems. Everything
> else works great. So fart I've dropped about $200 into it and I bought
> it for $4200. I'll let everyone know if it's better after the install
> of the new exhaust manifold

That ain't new.....not for $72.00 You should check it over thoroughly
to make sure it too doesn't have a hole and isn't warped.

Old May 1st 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"criii" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I just purchased an exhaust manifold online for about $72 including
> shipping. My guy a the dealer said he could have it installed for about
> $50. That should hopefully take care of all the problems. Everything
> else works great. So fart I've dropped about $200 into it and I bought
> it for $4200. I'll let everyone know if it's better after the install
> of the new exhaust manifold

I hope your just replacing the gasket and not the entire exhaust manifold!?