2001 Jeep Electrical Problem - Hopefully not a big one...

Old February 15th 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
NewbieJeepGuy

Default 2001 Jeep Electrical Problem - Hopefully not a big one...

I have posted in this forum before for a 90 wrangler and a conversion
I did an everyone was helpful so I thought I would try this issue.

I Have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a month ago the window/lock
console on the drivers door failed to work a couple of times when it
was quite cold out so I didn't think to much at the time. Now my
interior lights stay on when I have the jeep running and they won't go
off. I have checked all the doors and nothing is open, the other few
things that are acting wierd are the following.

The red theft light no longer blinks and if I push my panic button on
the key fob it doesn't go off. Also where the temperature reading and
mileage reading on the upper console it just has lines where the
numbers should be.

Any ideas that will hopefully be easy? The jeep drives fine other
than those issues.

Thanks.
Old February 16th 09, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

NewbieJeepGuy wrote:
> I have posted in this forum before for a 90 wrangler and a conversion
> I did an everyone was helpful so I thought I would try this issue.
>
> I Have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a month ago the window/lock
> console on the drivers door failed to work a couple of times when it
> was quite cold out so I didn't think to much at the time. Now my
> interior lights stay on when I have the jeep running and they won't go
> off. I have checked all the doors and nothing is open, the other few
> things that are acting wierd are the following.
>
> The red theft light no longer blinks and if I push my panic button on
> the key fob it doesn't go off. Also where the temperature reading and
> mileage reading on the upper console it just has lines where the
> numbers should be.
>
> Any ideas that will hopefully be easy? The jeep drives fine other
> than those issues.

Bad connection in the drivers door wiring harness or contamination
due to road salt. The door-ajar sensor is actually built into the
latch and isn't "servcicable".

Thing is it's all communications bus stuff, no real hard wires to
follow anymore since everything runs on the bus. One fault can
cause all sorts of other issues.

I'd start by checking the door harness where it connects to the back
of the switch pod. (you're going to have to take the door panel off)
Watch the plastic, it has sharp edges! Past experience is the connectors
break. I've had to repair the ones on my ZJ and need to rip into
the rear drivers side door sometime when it's warmer. lock solinoid is
not working properly.

--
DougW

Old February 16th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
NewbieJeepGuy

Any easy instructions/documentation on the internet on how to take the
panel apart? I must not have put anything good in the search engines.

Thanks,
Old February 16th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

NewbieJeepGuy wrote:
> Any easy instructions/documentation on the internet on how to take the
> panel apart? I must not have put anything good in the search engines.

Helps to have the window down.

(1) Remove trim plug from mirror flag bezel.
(2) Remove screws attaching trim panel to door

...Think there are three, one up by the mirror, one
in the arm rest, and one by the door release...

(3) Using trim remover (C-4829 or equivalent),
detach trim panel perimeter push-in fasteners from
door inner panel. (flat screwdriver, use a bit of
cardboard so you don't scratch the paint.

...the little plastic trees can break... Autozone and
several places have replacement. Just work slowly.

(4) Lift trim panel upward and separate from door.
(5) If equipped, disconnect harness connectors for
power accessories.
(6) Disconnect latch rods from inside handle actuator.
(7) Separate trim panel from vehicle.

Any time you work with the plastic clips that are used
to attach acutators/rods, be very careful. Never work
them cold. They can break and replacements are not cheap.

--
DougW

Old February 16th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
NewbieJeepGuy

Ok, after a few minutes I got my door panel off the door. I had to
disconnect the speaker (obvious wire), a wire that connects to the
from the drivers panel to the adjust the power mirrors. And then the
wire that goes to the drivers panel for the windows and door locks. I
reconnected all of them but still am having the same issues of lights
on while running and the door lock/window controls don't work. Also
the puzzling part is still the theft protection doesn't seem to be
working. Is there a fuse somewhere that i need to be looking for as
well? Or did I not look far enough at the drivers power panel
controls yet?

Thanks.
Old February 17th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
NewbieJeepGuy

Another thing I forgot to mention is that when I open the drivers door
the interior lights don't go on. But when you open the other doors
the lights do come on. Also the other windows will not roll down
either, but the passenger door lock system does work. Hope that helps
a bit more.
Old February 17th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

NewbieJeepGuy wrote:
> Another thing I forgot to mention is that when I open the drivers door
> the interior lights don't go on. But when you open the other doors
> the lights do come on. Also the other windows will not roll down
> either, but the passenger door lock system does work. Hope that helps
> a bit more.

That's telling me it's the door module or communications with it.
The number of things that's wrong seems to indicate power/ground
or dead module.

The only fuse services both driver and passenger door modules.
It's Fuse 12 in the Power Distribution Center, 50A.

The problem with these things is you either have to check each line
or use a scantool to find faults. Fixing is generally replacing
unless your good with electronics.

Pull that fuse for a few minutes then put it back. If for some
reason the modules processor hung, that should reset it.

Problem with these newer vehicles is you have so much reliance
on "modules" where there used to be simple wires.

--
DougW

Old February 17th 09, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
NewbieJeepGuy

Thanks for the ideas, I have tried them all. I just want to make sure
I understand things a bit better as I'm new to the mechanical and
electrical aspects of vehicles.

The fact that my Theft Protection (flashing light/panic button)
doesn't work, my drivers side control module for power windows/locks
does not work, or my other windows don't work. The overhead
temperature gauge panel and mileage information only shows me dashes
could all be relating to just the door module being bad? It's wierd
that the interior lights don't come on when I open the drivers door,
but they come on when the other doors open and then they stay on when
the jeep is running and all doors are closed. I tried to find the
drivers door switch but not sure that would have anything to do with
it either. If you have anything to add other than probably having
someone look at it (which I'm not sure anyone in my town would be good
with this) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again for your thoughts, I greatly appreciate them and the help.
Old February 17th 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
NewbieJeepGuy

One more thing I Just noticed is that the controls for the radio on
the steering wheel do not work either. I tried checking most other
things but the rest seems fine. I'm sure I'll find more things but
who knows.
Old February 17th 09, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

NewbieJeepGuy wrote:
> One more thing I Just noticed is that the controls for the radio on
> the steering wheel do not work either. I tried checking most other
> things but the rest seems fine. I'm sure I'll find more things but
> who knows.

You have a control bus problem. It's going to take a scantool to figure
out where the fault is.

See what fault codes pop up.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

--