Z4 - bad points?

Old March 21st 05, 11:03 PM
tim

Default Z4 - bad points?

Are there any? Electric hood leaks? Poor rear-view mirror perhaps? Noisy?

All thoughts welcomed.

TIA
tim

Old March 22nd 05, 12:45 AM
Tom Korth

"tim" > wrote in message
> Are there any? Electric hood leaks? Poor rear-view mirror perhaps? Noisy?
>
> All thoughts welcomed.

The "power top" (I'm in the U.S.) works very well. I had a very slight
water leak which was easily fixed under warranty by adjusting the
weather-stripping. There is a small (about 3"x3") plastic piece in the top
mechanism which broke, but it was very easy to replace. I don't have the
auto-dimming mirror, so mine is fine. As in any modern roadster, rear
vision isn't wonderful with the top up, but the Z4 beats my wife's 2000 Saab
convertible.

Wind noise is not bad with the top down and very good with the top up - if
you order the "electric hood". IIRC, the manual top is unlined and,
therefore, noisier.

My main complaint is a rather stiff ride, probably due to the OEM runflat
tires. On the other hand, cornering is greatly improved over the Z3 and the
added trunk ("boot") space is appreciated on long trips.

Tom

Old March 22nd 05, 02:28 PM
Malt_Hound

tim wrote:
> Are there any?

No. There are no points in *any* modern automobile as they are all
fitted with electronic ignition.

> Electric hood leaks?

The hood is not electric. The soft-top might be though, though the
electric part seldom leaks.

> Poor rear-view mirror perhaps?

Well, it's not the richest looking mirror I've ever seen.

> Noisy?

No. In fact many will replace the exhaust with one that is even noisier.

> All thoughts welcomed.

I bet you did not welcome the above thoughts. ;-)

Sorry, I have a Z3, but no actual experience with a Z4. I just couldn't
resist being a smart @$$.

-Fred W
Old March 23rd 05, 01:45 PM
Sam Smith

"tim" > wrote in message
> Are there any? Electric hood leaks? Poor rear-view mirror perhaps? Noisy?
>
> All thoughts welcomed.
>
> TIA

I'm getting a new Alpina Roadster S Lux this June - so I will let you know!

---
Sam

Old March 24th 05, 08:39 PM
CFL

DRP535 wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:03:19 -0000, "tim" > wrote:
>

>>Are there any? Electric hood leaks? Poor rear-view mirror perhaps? Noisy?
>>
>>All thoughts welcomed.

> Geezzzz where do I start?
>
> Oh I know! The looks. It's so hideously ugly you can't get within 30 feet
> of one without retasting your last meal.

I like the looks...Strange me.

Old March 25th 05, 12:34 PM
Alan

Sam Smith wrote:
> "tim" > wrote in message
>
>>Are there any? Electric hood leaks? Poor rear-view mirror perhaps? Noisy?
>>
>>All thoughts welcomed.
>>
>>TIA

> I'm getting a new Alpina Roadster S Lux this June - so I will let you know!
>
> ---
> Sam

You're very lucky Sam- the Roadster S is an absolutely wonderful Car.
Old March 25th 05, 08:06 PM
MAd MAx

Is there a pic anywhere available ?
Thanks

Old March 25th 05, 09:45 PM
Randy

MAd MAx wrote:
> Is there a pic anywhere available ?
> Thanks

To google, be googled, be googling, to have been googled...

http://www.tuningnews.net/news/040203/alpina-z4.php
http://www.tuningnews.net/news/040203/pic.php?id=01
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/articles/alpina_z4.asp
http://www.newcarnet.co.uk/NCN_3409_...chiveitem.html

Price list:

* Basic: £38,000 (approx. $70,000)
* On the road charges: £900 (approx. $1,700)
* Lux Pack: £3,950 (approx. $7,300)

Randy
Old March 25th 05, 11:22 PM
Tom Korth

"Alan" > wrote in message
> Sam Smith wrote:
>> "tim" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Are there any? Electric hood leaks? Poor rear-view mirror perhaps? Noisy?
>>>
>>>All thoughts welcomed.
>>>
>>>TIA

>> I'm getting a new Alpina Roadster S Lux this June - so I will let you
>> know!
>>
>> ---
>> Sam

> You're very lucky Sam- the Roadster S is an absolutely wonderful Car.

Maybe I'm missing something, but a .4 second improvement in 0-60 time over
the 3.0 doesn't seem like much for an additional 75HP and $25,000. I guess
that's why neither Alpina nor BMW is marketing it here in the U.S.

Tom

Old March 26th 05, 10:31 PM
MAd MAx

Thanks Randy and sorry. Didn't even think to go googling.
Nice car.

"Randy" > a écrit dans le message news:
> MAd MAx wrote:
> > Is there a pic anywhere available ?
> > Thanks

> To google, be googled, be googling, to have been googled...
>
> http://www.tuningnews.net/news/040203/alpina-z4.php
> http://www.tuningnews.net/news/040203/pic.php?id=01
> http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/articles/alpina_z4.asp
> http://www.newcarnet.co.uk/NCN_3409_...chiveitem.html
>
> Price list:
>
> * Basic: £38,000 (approx. $70,000)
> * On the road charges: £900 (approx. $1,700)
> * Lux Pack: £3,950 (approx. $7,300)
>
> Randy

Points to Electronic conversion MJT Ford Mustang 11 March 8th 05 01:30 AM
2005 CRV Jack/Lift points (4WD LX) [email protected] Honda 0 February 28th 05 04:01 PM
b '77 bus points question veteran VW air cooled 1 December 30th 04 01:00 AM
jack points z4869375 Honda 5 October 17th 04 08:35 AM
88 Aries Shift Points Dave libbey Dodge 3 May 7th 04 05:59 AM