98 XLT rear axle/bearing float.

Old March 20th 05, 04:59 PM
David

Default 98 XLT rear axle/bearing float.

In trying to diagnose a bad shake/grind/drumming noise from under my high
mileage 4x4 Exploder, I took off the rear wheels and rotors (disks) and
calipers. I noted that if I pulled and pushed the wheel studs I could feel 2
to 3 mm (1/8") or so of play. This is not rocking the wheel type of bearing
'end float' but parallel float.

Is this normal? I have never had the rear caliper off and tried this before?

If its not normal, what will the probable cause be?

David
Raleigh

Old March 20th 05, 06:05 PM
Jim Warman

This is normal.... pushing in, the end of the axle butts up against the
differential pinion shaft (not to be confused with the crown and pinion).
Pulling out, the C-clip butts against the inside of the differential side
gear.... 1/8th inch travel is perfectly acceptable.

om...

Old March 22nd 05, 12:31 AM
David

Thanks Jim, I was hoping you would say that.

David