Tis the season for A/C questions...

Old July 18th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MT-2500[_5_]

Default Tis the season for A/C questions...

jeffcoslacker Wrote:
> When they are running a slight undercharge, there is a tendency to form
> ice on the evaporator core...(don't make me go into the physics of why,
> just accept it for sake of discussion)...so in a situation where the
> ambient temp was a bit lower, but still high humidity (when you were
> driving at night) the evap core might have iced over pretty good while
> it was cycled on, then when it cycled out the ambient air was not as
> cool because the surface area for cooling was compromised by the
> icing...
>
> And yes, interior/exterior color has a LOT to do with A/C
> efficiency...just a 15% window tint on your rear glass would make a
> huge difference in how hot the car gets while sitting and how fast it
> cools down...radiant heat from interior surfaces can make it feel 10
> degrees or more hotter than the air temp...that's why many high-end
> cars now have a dual-purpose dash lightsensor, it turns on the
> headlights when it gets dark, but also signals the A/C system to work
> harder when ambient sunlight is strong...to keep ahead of interior
> heating...

Right on there jeffcoslacker
You got it right.
And sometimes with freon just a little low it will be colder.

But before anybody goes out and gets one.

Wal Mart DEATH KITS

You cannot properly and safely recharge an air condition system with
them.

The one side stop and go gauge does not tell you what your system is
doing or is over charged or undercharged.
A overcharged or malfunction air condition system can reach over 500
lbs of pressure.
Enough to blow up that can or system and freeze you at first and the
burn you or blind you and if any propane /butane in there blow and
light you up.

The stop leak crap and who knows what kind of oil in the kits there
will stop your system for sure.
Just like pouring super glue in it.
And some kits even contain freon with a butane mixer.
Good for a big blast.

If you are going to do it do it right and safe.
Here is what you need to start with.
http://tinyurl.com/jt94c

In the older days you could just throw in a can and go.
But over the years just adding freon is getting harder to do.
Newer systems have to have the correct amount of freon down to the
ounces.
Most will need pumped down and vacuumed down and the right and amount
of oil and a set amount freon charge installed to get the air to cool
right and the system to last.
If an air condition is low there is usually a leak that needs fixed and
also a lose of lubricating oil from system.
Also air and moisture enters a low system
If you are going to try to do it get the proper type air condition
gauge set with the low and high side gauges.
Hook up the gauges and get a reading with compressor running at idle
and at 2000 rpm on the high and low side.
Post back pressure reading and we can help you.
MT

--
MT-2500
MT-2500's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=382930