1995 chevy lumina temp. reading

Old January 29th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1995 chevy lumina temp. reading

I have a 1995 Chevy Lumina, and every so often my temp reading in the
car shows that the car is running hot, even sometimes in the morning
when I first start the car. There are no leaks of any steam coming from
the radiator or the engine. The hot light will stay on for about 5 min
then the reading goes down to about 140 deg. , without me even doing
anything. Does any one who why my car is giving this phony reading and
how I can fix it..

Old January 29th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

could be bad temp sender on block.

oups.com...

Old January 29th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

mbmalone05 wrote:

> I have a 1995 Chevy Lumina, and every so often my temp reading in the
> car shows that the car is running hot, even sometimes in the morning
> when I first start the car.

This means you car is running for a while or not?

> There are no leaks of any steam coming from
> the radiator or the engine. The hot light will stay on for about 5 min
> then the reading goes down to about 140 deg. , without me even doing
> anything. Does any one who why my car is giving this phony reading and
> how I can fix it..

Whats about heating, there are any changes?

Regards,

Ralf
--
www.omnibusclub.de
Erfinder des Abgasturboladers Dr. Alfred J. Büchi: "Die Abgase,
Old January 29th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

mbmalone05 > wrote:
>I have a 1995 Chevy Lumina, and every so often my temp reading in the
>car shows that the car is running hot, even sometimes in the morning
>when I first start the car. There are no leaks of any steam coming from
>the radiator or the engine. The hot light will stay on for about 5 min
>then the reading goes down to about 140 deg. , without me even doing
>anything. Does any one who why my car is giving this phony reading and
>how I can fix it..

I'd swap out the sending unit before anything else.
--scott

Old January 31st 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

I, too, have a 95 Lumina. Had the same prob. U have air in the cooling
system. To correct...1. Idle car with rad cap off and radiator full.
2. Allow temperature to rise until thermistat opens,(allowing coolant
to circulate thru the entire system.) As the coolant level drops in
the radiator add coolant as necessary to completely fill the system. Do
all of these procedures with the heater on. This is sometimes a bit
messy as coolant sometimes wants to bubble out of radiator just prior
to the thermistat opening. I loosely keep the cap on to prevent much of
the over spill. Also, u might be quite surprised as to how long it
takes to heat up with the radiator cap off, so just be patient. I think
mine took 30 mins - 45 mins. Its necessary for u to be in position with
the antifreeze at the time the thermistat opens as, once again, this is
the time that you'll put it in. U might have to do this procedure a
couple of times before your system is completely up to capacity. One
last thing, There is a bleed screw on top of the thermistat housing.
Sometimes after intial start, the system with heat rather quickly as
observed on the temp gauge. If you were to check the upper rad hose at
this time, u'll notice it is under pressure. Relieve this pressure with
the bleed screw while running and hot. You'll probably have to do this
a few times also. Good luck ...Jim

Old February 6th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

The Problem was the temperature sensor. Thanks to all for your help