AC Compressor Gone?

Old September 3rd 05, 04:16 PM
hokie

Default AC Compressor Gone?

First post to this NG. My '99 328i with 42K miles has finally had its first
hick-up. Last week upon a 30 mile trip in moderate heat I had my AC On. AC
in this car was perfect. Upon exiting the freeway and stopping at the first
light, my engine shut off and CEL came on. When I tried to start it again,
it did, but with some nasty noises from the engine bay and then promptly
shut down again. I opened the hood and smelt something burning. Upon
poking around, I found the clutch area of the AC compressor is the area that
the burning smell was originating. When I shut down the AC and started the
car again, it ran fine. A couple days later I turned the AC switch on, and
the engine ran normally, but I wasn't brave enough to let it run longer and
see if it still cools, because someone told me I can wipe out the belt if
the AC Comp clutch seizes.
My friends and a mechanic I spoke to thinks my AC compressor is history.
The dealer quoted (pre inspection) $1700 for a rebuilt AC compressor, belt,
receiver and dryer. Ouch. To diagnose it correctly, they want $110. Ouch.
And I don't see myself doing the job.
Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? Another mechanic told me that
in 7 years of working on bimmers, he hadn't seen a busted AC compressor. I
live in the Detroit/Windsor area. If anyone can recommend any reliable
German car shops, I would appreciate it as well. Thanks.

Old September 3rd 05, 04:54 PM
fbloogyudsr

"hokie" > wrote
> First post to this NG. My '99 328i with 42K miles has finally had its
> first
> hick-up. Last week upon a 30 mile trip in moderate heat I had my AC On.
> AC
> in this car was perfect. Upon exiting the freeway and stopping at the
> first
> light, my engine shut off and CEL came on. When I tried to start it
> again,
> it did, but with some nasty noises from the engine bay and then promptly
> shut down again. I opened the hood and smelt something burning. Upon
> poking around, I found the clutch area of the AC compressor is the area
> that
> the burning smell was originating. When I shut down the AC and started
> the
> car again, it ran fine. A couple days later I turned the AC switch on,
> and
> the engine ran normally, but I wasn't brave enough to let it run longer
> and
> see if it still cools, because someone told me I can wipe out the belt if
> the AC Comp clutch seizes.
> My friends and a mechanic I spoke to thinks my AC compressor is history.
> The dealer quoted (pre inspection) $1700 for a rebuilt AC compressor,
> belt,
> receiver and dryer. Ouch. To diagnose it correctly, they want $110.
> Ouch.
> And I don't see myself doing the job.

The diagnostic price sounds about right, but the replacement cost sounds
high.

> Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? Another mechanic told me
> that
> in 7 years of working on bimmers, he hadn't seen a busted AC compressor.
> live in the Detroit/Windsor area. If anyone can recommend any reliable
> German car shops, I would appreciate it as well. Thanks.

Look in the yellow pages for "Auto Air Conditioning" and call around for
prices. Almost all A/C systems are made by a couple of manufacturers,
so you don't need to go to a BMW/foreign car repair shop.

Although I haven't personally experienced a jammed A/C compressor,
I have talked to people that have. At least BMW uses a separate
belt for the compressor - if it freezes and takes out your accessory
belt it's AAA time.

FloydR

Old September 3rd 05, 06:54 PM
Jim

"hokie" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> First post to this NG. My '99 328i with 42K miles has finally had its
> first
> hick-up. Last week upon a 30 mile trip in moderate heat I had my AC On.
> AC
> in this car was perfect. Upon exiting the freeway and stopping at the
> first
> light, my engine shut off and CEL came on. When I tried to start it
> again,
> it did, but with some nasty noises from the engine bay and then promptly
> shut down again. I opened the hood and smelt something burning. Upon
> poking around, I found the clutch area of the AC compressor is the area
> that
> the burning smell was originating. When I shut down the AC and started
> the
> car again, it ran fine. A couple days later I turned the AC switch on,
> and
> the engine ran normally, but I wasn't brave enough to let it run longer
> and
> see if it still cools, because someone told me I can wipe out the belt if
> the AC Comp clutch seizes.
> My friends and a mechanic I spoke to thinks my AC compressor is history.
> The dealer quoted (pre inspection) $1700 for a rebuilt AC compressor,
> belt,
> receiver and dryer. Ouch. To diagnose it correctly, they want $110.
> Ouch.
> And I don't see myself doing the job.
> Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? Another mechanic told me
> that
> in 7 years of working on bimmers, he hadn't seen a busted AC compressor.
> live in the Detroit/Windsor area. If anyone can recommend any reliable
> German car shops, I would appreciate it as well. Thanks.

You will probably find that independent shops will do this job for less
(often much less). However, A/C work is expensive. About 7 years ago, I
spent about $1100 for a compressor, etc., repair on my 91 Explorer.

If the compressor really is locked solid, it may have sent particles
throughout the system. Any time that you open up the A/C system, the dryer
(removes water from the refrigerant) is history. So, you can see that the
costs really escalate.

Jim

Old September 4th 05, 04:01 PM
IcemanMax