147 headlamp levelling inoperative

Old December 20th 06, 11:38 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default 147 headlamp levelling inoperative

X-No-Archive

Hi

My 2001 147 headlamp levelling doesn't work. An Alfa dealer has looked
at it and doesn't think it's the motors and require more time to "trace
the wiring back". The headlamp position on the Multifunction display
works, the lights just don't move.

I have noticed that on the nearside unit, the reflector 'cone' is much
closer to the the (inner) glass (well plastic) surface than the offside
one. Is this normal?

The fuse is ok, is there anything else I can check? I also get the
"number plate light fail" "Right side light fail", "left side light
fail" message quite often too.

Thanks in advance

Old December 31st 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
John, UK.

wrote:
> X-No-Archive
>
> Hi
>
> My 2001 147 headlamp levelling doesn't work. An Alfa dealer has looked
> at it and doesn't think it's the motors and require more time to "trace
> the wiring back". The headlamp position on the Multifunction display
> works, the lights just don't move.
>
> I have noticed that on the nearside unit, the reflector 'cone' is much
> closer to the the (inner) glass (well plastic) surface than the offside
> one. Is this normal?
>
> The fuse is ok, is there anything else I can check? I also get the
> "number plate light fail" "Right side light fail", "left side light
> fail" message quite often too.
>
> Thanks in advance

Hi David,
Sorry I cannot help with the headlight section.
Your fault with the rear lights and number plate light will I'm sure be
just an earth problem.
I had the same warning for the rear fog, [really annoying] even though
it was switched off, I checked the contacts on the bulb as the bulb
felt a little loose , then slightly bent the earth contact to give a
tighter fit to the bulb, no more problems with it over last 3 years.
I may be wrong but [when systems are switched on or off], the earth
system, when contact is broken, must send out the warning to the dash
screen. As I say I may be wrong, I'm sure one of the more tecnical guys
will soon say what happens.