headlights on all day

Old September 25th 06, 02:03 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Kriznaft

Default headlights on all day

i have a 325is 95 and the high beams on on as soon as i turn on my car
... they are quite a bit dimmer then if i turn on my lights .. i know
there suposed to be like that but i want to know how make them not come
on untill i want them to.

Old September 25th 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

Kriznaft wrote:
> i have a 325is 95 and the high beams on on as soon as i turn on my car
> .. they are quite a bit dimmer then if i turn on my lights .. i know
> there suposed to be like that but i want to know how make them not come
> on untill i want them to.

That is called "Daytime Running Lights" or DRLs for short.

This link should help you locate the module to remove.
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/ele...ng_lights.html

--
-Fred W
Old September 25th 06, 06:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ulf

Fred W wrote:
> Kriznaft wrote:
>> i have a 325is 95 and the high beams on on as soon as i turn on my car
>> .. they are quite a bit dimmer then if i turn on my lights .. i know
>> there suposed to be like that but i want to know how make them not come
>> on untill i want them to.
>>

> That is called "Daytime Running Lights" or DRLs for short.
>
> This link should help you locate the module to remove.
> http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/ele...ng_lights.html

I don't get how BMW can be stupid enough to use the high beams as DRLs.
Turn signals, fog lights or low beams at a reduced voltage would have
been much better...

Ulf
Old September 26th 06, 04:59 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Kriznaft

sweet.. thanks guys ... this worked

Old September 28th 06, 03:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

Ulf wrote:

> I don't get how BMW can be stupid enough to use the high beams as DRLs.
> Turn signals, fog lights or low beams at a reduced voltage would have
> been much better...

Actually, no. The high beams at reduced intensity are the best option
for two reasons.

One: They are more apt to get the attention of other drivers as they
are fairly bright, even at reduced intensity. Two: If you burn one of
them out (due to them being constantly on) you will not lose any of the
more important light functions: signalling turns, or low beams. Don't
forget, not all cars come equiped with fog lights. Having fog lights
where I live is completely unnecesary as we seldom get real fog.

--
-Fred W
Old September 30th 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ulf

bjn wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:04:38 -0400, Fred W
> > wrote:
>
>> Ulf wrote:
>>
>>> I don't get how BMW can be stupid enough to use the high beams as DRLs.
>>> Turn signals, fog lights or low beams at a reduced voltage would have
>>> been much better...

>> Actually, no. The high beams at reduced intensity are the best option
>> for two reasons.

> The best option is a set of lights specifically designed to be used as
> running lights, i.e., with the appropriate intensity and beam pattern.

Exactly.

>> One: They are more apt to get the attention of other drivers as they
>> are fairly bright, even at reduced intensity.

> Yes, they are fairly bright, and annoyingly distractive in my rear view
> mirror. I don't consider either of those attributes to be a feature.

They're more than fairly bright, they're way too bright to be used as DRLs.

>> Two: If you burn one of
>> them out (due to them being constantly on) you will not lose any of the
>> more important light functions:

> This is not a justification to use the high beams as running lights, this
> is a reason to have a separate set of running lights.
>
> If I remember correctly, GM made the same foolish engineering decision
> regarding running lights. I thought BMW knew better....

Yup, GM likes to equip Saturns with them. Fortunately a few new BMW's
have "angle eyes" DRLs. I assume this is mostly due to Audi's successful
LED DRLs.

Ulf
Old October 1st 06, 12:31 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 22:39:29 GMT, Ulf > wrote:

>Fortunately a few new BMW's
>have "angle eyes" DRLs.

I'm reminded of the old joke about the schoolkid in math class who
talked about 'a cute angel.'
--
Dan.
Old October 2nd 06, 01:54 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

Ulf wrote:

> Yup, GM likes to equip Saturns with them. Fortunately a few new BMW's
> have "angle eyes" DRLs. I assume this is mostly due to Audi's successful
> LED DRLs.

"Angle" (sic) eyes are not DRLs. I suppose that they they take the
place of "city lights" in those obscure European places that still
require such, but they are most certainly NOT DRLs.

DRLs are *supposed* to be obnoxious. If they aren't getting your
attention, they aren't doing what they are intended to do...

--
-Fred W
Old October 2nd 06, 12:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ulf

Fred W wrote:
> Ulf wrote:
>
>> Yup, GM likes to equip Saturns with them. Fortunately a few new BMW's
>> have "angle eyes" DRLs. I assume this is mostly due to Audi's
>> successful LED DRLs.

> "Angle" (sic) eyes are not DRLs. I suppose that they they take the
> place of "city lights" in those obscure European places that still
> require such, but they are most certainly NOT DRLs.

Please keep up. On the "older" BMW's they're used as parking lights
only, but starting on the new E90 coupe they'll be used as DRLs too. And
most countries in the world require parking lights, even the US, so
they're not reserved for "obscure European places."

> DRLs are *supposed* to be obnoxious. If they aren't getting your
> attention, they aren't doing what they are intended to do...

No, they're not. High beams, even at a reduced voltage, are *too* bright
to be used with oncoming traffic. They're also illegal outside NA, why
do you think that is..?

Ulf
Old October 2nd 06, 01:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

Ulf wrote:
> Fred W wrote:
>
>> Ulf wrote:
>>
>>> Yup, GM likes to equip Saturns with them. Fortunately a few new BMW's
>>> have "angle eyes" DRLs. I assume this is mostly due to Audi's
>>> successful LED DRLs.

>> "Angle" (sic) eyes are not DRLs. I suppose that they they take the
>> place of "city lights" in those obscure European places that still
>> require such, but they are most certainly NOT DRLs.

> Please keep up. On the "older" BMW's they're used as parking lights
> only, but starting on the new E90 coupe they'll be used as DRLs too. And
> most countries in the world require parking lights, even the US, so
> they're not reserved for "obscure European places."

Please try to comprehend. Parking lights and city lights are two
different things. Parking lights are used when the car is parked
(obviously) in an attempt to keep it from being hit by passing
motorists. City lights were intended to be used in lieu of headlights
when operating in certain designated city limits, where the streetlights
supposedly were adequate, to prevent glare to oncoming drivers. That
practice is obsolete AFAIK, but the "city lights" are still sometimes
found on some cars and are used as parking lights.

There are no requirements to have or use parking lights or city lights
anywhere in the US that I am aware of. Having *any* lights on when a
car is parked is not common practice here. What is required are
"running lights" which are usually the same lamps that you might call
"parking lights" except they are illuminated while driving so that other
drivers can get a sense of the width of the vehicle, especially in the
event of a burnt out headlamp.

>> DRLs are *supposed* to be obnoxious. If they aren't getting your
>> attention, they aren't doing what they are intended to do...

> No, they're not. High beams, even at a reduced voltage, are *too* bright
> to be used with oncoming traffic. They're also illegal outside NA, why
> do you think that is..?

High beams even at full voltage are not too bright to be used as DRLs
when they are intended to be used, DURING THE DAY!!! They are run at
reduced level to save the headlamps from burning out, not to decrease
glare to oncoming drivers. During daylight hours your pupils are
adjusted to the higher ambient light and glare from headlights is not an
issue. You may be irritated by these headlights, but you know they are
there, so they are accomplishing their goal. Running around during the
day with just angel eyes on is akin to having no DRLs as nobody will be
alerted to your presence by them.

If you're saying that you are using your DRLs at night (instead of your
headlights) and that is when there is a glare problem, then you are
obviously using your lights incorrectly. In most cars, when operating
on DRLs there are no rear or running lights on, which is obviously
against the law at night.

Do you have some evidence that high beam running lights are illegal
everywhere except North America? I kind of doubt that this is true.

--
-Fred W

Headlights won't come on in 2003 Odyssey Odysseus Honda 0 April 4th 06 05:27 AM
Headlights won't come on in 2003 Odyssey [email protected] Honda 0 April 4th 06 05:21 AM
Blinking Headlights porky Technology 8 February 24th 06 08:03 PM
1999 Explorer Automatic Headlights Mickle79 Ford Explorer 0 January 13th 06 12:59 PM
96 Blazer and 01 headlights Sam Sedlak 4x4 1 October 26th 04 10:32 PM