is250 vs. 325i

Old August 15th 06, 04:00 AM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
bfd[_1_]

Default is250 vs. 325i

"Richard Sexton" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Elmo P. Shagnasty > wrote:

> >> Yeah it screams "look at me I look a lot like a Mercedes
> >> but use even more expsneive Toyota parts that aren't
> >> engineered to last decades". What a deal.

> >Ah. As opposed to even more expensive Mercedes parts that aren't
> >engineered to last any more than a few years.
> >
> >Face it--M-B ain't what it used to be.

> I'll be the first to admit that, I don't have much confidence in the new
> cars. But if you can afford a Maybach you probably don't care.
>
> I did see an old 240Z yeterday but the point remains you don't see many
> old Japanese cars. I imagine getting parts for them might be an issue but
> I'm just guessing.
>
> Ironically the motor in that 240Z is a copy of the MB 6 from that era.

Actually, the old 240Z from 1970-73 had a 2.4 liter engine that was
bulletproof. It was a larger version of the engine used in the old Datsun
510 (1968-73). The main problem with those old Datsuns wasn't the engine or
lack of parts, but that the steel body on them were so thin that most rusted
out, even here in California.

In general, Toyota/Lexus may be a bit more reliable than BMW. However, you
buy a BMW for the way it drives. If you don't notice a difference or can't
appreciate it, then get the Toyota.

Btw, if you look under the hood of a Lexus, most parts say Toyota, so yes,
it is a TOYOTA!

Old August 15th 06, 06:05 AM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Brooke

I would forget the IS 250 and 325I and look at the IS 350 and 330I. I went
through the same decision and ended up with the IS 350. The 330I was a very
nice looking car and had the best ride of anything that I have driven, but
the IS 350 has lots of power and lots of cool gadgets. The IS 350 also has
a very good ride, and since I spend most of my driving time stuck in
traffic, the curve handling performance is not important.

It is also cool to turn on the Power button, disable the VDIM, and smoke
your tires in the IS 350!

. ..

Old August 15th 06, 02:56 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

E Brown wrote:

> According to Edmunds.com, the cost per mile for the 2003 Lexus IS
> 300 is .60 cents, while a 2003 330i is .63 cents, averaged over 5
> years of ownership while driving 15,000 miles/year.
> epbrown

....which, considering the method of acquiring the data, is statistically
insignificant.

--
-Fred W
Old August 15th 06, 03:00 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

Default German car? no thanks (was is250 vs. 325i)

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article >,
> Elmo P. Shagnasty > wrote:
>
>>Now *try* to find a Honda or Toyota, either low brand or high brand, no
>>matter how old, with non-working tail lights. Good luck.

> You're saying the bulbs never blow on Japanese cars? They must be
> different Hondas and Toyotas we get in London...

well, actually, now-a-days they don't use bulbs at all. L.E.D.s

--
-Fred W
Old August 15th 06, 03:09 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >,
> "bfd" > wrote:
>

>>Btw, if you look under the hood of a Lexus, most parts say Toyota, so yes,
>>it is a TOYOTA!

> Look under the hood of a Benz and the parts all say Daimler-Chrysler.
>
> So they're nothing but Chryslers. Interesting...

Yeah. What's your point? Does this somehow relate to a BMW?

Good thing most of us in the lexus and bmw newsgroups don't give a rats
behind about MBs...

--
-Fred W
Old August 15th 06, 06:53 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Fred W > wrote:
> >>Now *try* to find a Honda or Toyota, either low brand or high brand, no
> >>matter how old, with non-working tail lights. Good luck.

> > You're saying the bulbs never blow on Japanese cars? They must be
> > different Hondas and Toyotas we get in London...
> >

> well, actually, now-a-days they don't use bulbs at all. L.E.D.s

All cars? They may look like LEDs but often aren't. And are usually
restricted to top of range models.

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 15th 06, 07:43 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw

Robert A. Cibiras wrote:
> I am interested in trading my Acura TL, and have
> narrowed the most likely possible replacements to
> the Lexus is250 and the BMW 325i, both with manual
> transmission.

Go with the Lexus. Trust me. If I had it to do over
again, I would never have bought this German car.
I will NEVER buy another German car.

-----
Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1,
Israel's favor.
Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1.
---------
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html
----------
"Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We,
the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it."
---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff

Old August 15th 06, 07:47 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw

Floyd Rogers wrote:

> I don't know why people say that BMWs are expensive to maintain.

As far as parts prices, BMW parts are really no more expensive than
for any other make, as far as my observations are concerned.
The problem with BMW is reliability. Except for the engines
(which may be the best in the world), BMW owners can expect
failures in other systems, and often.

-----

Old August 15th 06, 07:49 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw

Richard Sexton wrote:
> In article >,
> Floyd Rogers > wrote:
> >I don't know why people say that BMWs are expensive to maintain.

> This is the way my father in law explained it to me 30 years ago: "the
> Germans are quite up front about maintenance costs. The Japanese want you
> to believe their cars are cheaspre cheap to maintain but in reality they cost
> about the same".

My Japanese cars have been *exceedingly* inexpensive to maintain,
and as reliable as an anvil.

-----

Old August 16th 06, 01:07 AM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Brett[_1_]

There's no bias towards German cars at all in that post . . . from
someone that sells Mercedes parts. I am also biased, as I have an
IS350.

When thinking of long term costs, it is possible that German cars are
cheaper. Remember how mechanics/dealers get cheaper parts, other cars
that break. With more German cars breaking in the long term, there
will be more available parts, increasing the supply, and dropping the
price :-)

-b

http://parts.mbz.org

325i vs 325xi SLD1969 BMW 14 October 17th 05 09:59 AM
Car & Driver tests new 325i - they like it GRL BMW 0 October 8th 05 08:34 PM
'95 325i is a little slow vs. '02 330 Tom Allen BMW 9 May 1st 05 12:42 PM
BMW 325i reliability and maintenance Dan BMW 3 April 16th 05 04:34 PM
93 325i Erik BMW 7 January 2nd 05 05:13 PM