BMW Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

Old March 11th 06, 10:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

Default BMW Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

"Derek Hornby" > wrote in message
> Accelerator jam car hits 135mph
> A motorist drives for 60 miles at speeds of 135mph after the accelerator
> on
> his BMW car jams.
> Full story:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/-/1/hi/england/4796264.stm

> If the driver had turned the engine off, surly that would have
> slowed down the car.
> Derek

He He! What a load of ******** ;-) Even if true he must have being over the
speed limit at the time! Probably traveling at 135mph.

I'll wait, and find out the true facts. Probably an ass hole who thinks he's
above he law.

JS

Old March 11th 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

John Smith wrote:

> "Emperor's New Widescreen" > wrote in message

> have >>>> > > slowed down the car.

> that >>>> you lock the steering) or clutch in and select N. Engine
> will go to >>>> the red line and make a lot of noise. Better than
> crashing though.

> > > No

> > Oh yes there is!!

> Not on the on's I drive! Where?

In the engine, the correct question would be, "does it have a clutch
pedal".

--
wigwambam
Old March 11th 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

"John Smith" > wrote in message

> "Emperor's New Widescreen" > wrote in message

> >> No

> > Oh yes there is!!

> Not on the on's I drive! Where?

Between the engine and the gearbox.

Old March 11th 06, 11:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

"Emperor's New Widescreen" > wrote in message

> "John Smith" > wrote in message

>> > Oh yes there is!!

>> Not on the on's I drive! Where?

> Between the engine and the gearbox.
>

>> JS

Good Lord there is some crap on Usenet.
There is a torque converter between the engine and 'box on conventional
automatics which may have a lock-up clutch to give a direct drive without
slip above a certain speed which may vary. However there are a number of
multi-plate clutch packs inside these gearboxes which are engaged and
disengaged hydraulically and, these days, controlled electronically.
None of these clutches are directly controlled by the driver.

Now it seems to me that the only plausible cause of this 'accident' is if
the cruise control malfunctioned. He could still have knocked the auto into
neutral or switched the engine off though.

Huw

Old March 11th 06, 11:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

In article .com>,
Clark Spyendchipz > writes
>Allegedly, he thought doing so would disable the vehicle's power
>steering.
>
>Funny how he broke down in tears though, beer belly, bleached blond
>hair, ear-ring, BMW driver, I bet he used to be a proper Jack-The-Lad at
>his local pub.
>
>These young boys certainly are in touch with their feminine side these
>days.

I had an auto gearbox Cavalier once where the auto choke jammed on
resulting in very high revs, not 135 mph I admit but, pulled to side of
road, engaged neutral, switched off engine, called garage, problem
solved.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Old March 12th 06, 12:04 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:12:13 -0000, "Huw"
> wrote:

>Now it seems to me that the only plausible cause of this 'accident' is if
>the cruise control malfunctioned.

Well, let's get this back on course. Has the car definitely got a
neutral. I think I know the answer to that one, but let's hear it from
someone who does know about cars and this one in particular.

> He could still have knocked the auto into
>neutral or switched the engine off though.

The report said the gears had jammed so one would assume that amongst
the other disasters to have struck this rolling pile of crap, neutral
wasn't an option... As for switching the engine off, presumably his
hands were already full what with phoning the AA, the Police, Mum and
the RSPCA.

Old March 12th 06, 01:19 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

On 11 Mar 2006 11:57:06 -0600, Mr X > wrote:

>In article >, Derek
>Hornby > writes
>
>> Accelerator jam car hits 135mph
>>A motorist drives for 60 miles at speeds of 135mph after the accelerator on
>>his BMW car jams.

>"I was in tears most of the time on the phone to the police..."
>
>So he was on a mobile phone, in tears, and driving at 135mph?

It was a hands free phone.

And *he* called the police to say he was out of control, rather than
them chasing him because he was speeding.

He claims he couldn't get into neutral, which sounds quite likely
given it was an auto, and he thought he would lose the steering if he
turned off the ignition.

He managed to keep the speed down to about 70 for quite a few miles,
by using the brakes, but eventually they faded.

To me, the most surprising thing is that he survived the eventual
crash virtually unscathed.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Wisdom is knowing what to do with what you know.
Old March 12th 06, 01:49 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

"Alex Heney" > wrote

> He claims he couldn't get into neutral, which sounds quite likely
> given it was an auto,

How do you figure this?

and he thought he would lose the steering if he
> turned off the ignition.
>
> He managed to keep the speed down to about 70 for quite a few miles,
> by using the brakes, but eventually they faded.

If he kept it to 70 for a few miles he could have easily stalled it in the
first few minutes just by stomping suddenly and sharply on the brakes unless
the cruise control was deffective in which case it would have been diabled
by switching it off manually or switching the ignition off.

> To me, the most surprising thing is that he survived the eventual
> crash virtually unscathed.

To me the most surprising thing is that so many people think the guy is
genuine. That there are so many gullible people out there that take things
at face value. The man is either retarded or a bull****ter. It is that
simple. Even if the car was defective that does not alter anything.

Huw