BMW Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

Old March 11th 06, 09:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

Default BMW Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

In article >, Peter wrote:
> Derek Hornby wrote:
>
> > Accelerator jam car hits 135mph
> > A motorist drives for 60 miles at speeds of 135mph after the accelerator
> > on his BMW car jams.
> > Full story:
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/-/1/hi/england/4796264.stm

> > If the driver had turned the engine off, surly that would have
> > slowed down the car.
> > Derek

> He could have put the gear lever or automatic transmission into neutral.
> Don't try and tell me that the lever and clutch pedal (if any) were also
> jammed.

The report says this is more or less what did happen. The accelerator was
faulty, the brakes were unable to slow him down, and he couldn't put the car
in neutral because "the gears were jammed" (whatever that means). Luckily his
phone seems to have been a hands-free one, otherwise this could have been a
really dangerous situation. It really wasn't his day, was it?

Rod.

Old March 11th 06, 09:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

chippy wrote:

> Bozo wrote:

> > > I expect there's a lock to stop you doing that. Might get some
> > > backfiring or summat - safety regs y'know.

> > Either turn off the engine (not a good idea to turn it so far that
> > you lock the steering) or clutch in and select N. Engine will go to
> > the red line and make a lot of noise. Better than crashing though.

> is there a clutch on an auto?

Thanks, I have never owned an auto, too prone to accelerator sticking,
key sticking, gearlever sticking and brake fade.
Mind the phone works under all adverse conditions.

--
wigwambam
Old March 11th 06, 10:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:54:45 GMT, Bozo > wrote:

>Derek Potter wrote:
>>>If the driver had turned the engine off, surly that would have
>>>slowed down the car.

>> I expect there's a lock to stop you doing that. Might get some
>> backfiring or summat - safety regs y'know.

>Either turn off the engine (not a good idea to turn it so far that you
>lock the steering)

He must have been driving for half an hour without trying it, that's
why I wondered if the car had a conventional key.

> or clutch in and select N. Engine will go to the red
>line and make a lot of noise. Better than crashing though.

He says the box was jammed too. Odd, very odd.
Old March 11th 06, 10:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

On 11 Mar 2006 11:57:06 -0600, Mr X > wrote:

>In article >, Derek
>Hornby > writes
>
>> Accelerator jam car hits 135mph
>>A motorist drives for 60 miles at speeds of 135mph after the accelerator on
>>his BMW car jams.

>"I was in tears most of the time on the phone to the police..."
>
>So he was on a mobile phone, in tears, and driving at 135mph?
>
>Sounds like total bull**** to me..

Gotta agree - plus the odd way he couldn't turn the engine off nor
even drop out of gear. Yet it seems he really did phone the police.
Old March 11th 06, 10:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

In article > wrote...

> Either turn off the engine (not a good idea to turn it so far that you
> lock the steering) or clutch in and select N. Engine will go to the red
> line and make a lot of noise. Better than crashing though.

The car had an automatic transmission, IIRC.

marc
Old March 11th 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

In article > wrote...

> If the driver had turned the engine off, surly that would have
> slowed down the car.

One click of the key would have done it, but I can understand why he
would not have wanted to do it - one slip of the fingers and you'll
engage the steering lock.

marc
Old March 11th 06, 10:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

In article > wrote...

> "I was in tears most of the time on the phone to the police..."
> So he was on a mobile phone, in tears, and driving at 135mph?
> Sounds like total bull**** to me..

According to him he was in tears because he was convinced he was going
to die.

marc
Old March 11th 06, 10:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

On 11 Mar 2006 20:52:33 GMT, "chippy" > wrote:

>chippy wrote:
>
>> Bozo wrote:

>> > Either turn off the engine (not a good idea to turn it so far that
>> > you lock the steering) or clutch in and select N. Engine will go to
>> > the red line and make a lot of noise. Better than crashing though.

>> is there a clutch on an auto?

>Thanks, I have never owned an auto, too prone to accelerator sticking,
>key sticking, gearlever sticking and brake fade.

You may joke about it, but that happens all the time with mine. I just
put a big pile of cushions in my garage

>Mind the phone works under all adverse conditions.

Ah, well of course phones tend to work outside of BMWs as well as
inside them.

Old March 11th 06, 11:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

"John Smith" > wrote in message

> "chippy" > wrote in message
> > Bozo wrote:

> >> Either turn off the engine (not a good idea to turn it so far that
> >> you lock the steering) or clutch in and select N. Engine will go to
> >> the red line and make a lot of noise. Better than crashing though.

> > is there a clutch on an auto?

> No

Oh yes there is!!

Old March 11th 06, 11:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,uk.legal

"Emperor's New Widescreen" > wrote in message

> "John Smith" > wrote in message

>> > is there a clutch on an auto?

>> No

> Oh yes there is!!