BMW's nothing but problems??? Really???

Old January 18th 06, 04:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default BMW's nothing but problems??? Really???

In article >,
Floyd Rogers > wrote:
> None of the M cars come with an automatic. They *do* come with
> the SMG transmissions.

The SMG *is* an auto. It simply allows more manual input than most
epicyclic ones - but this is not intrinsic in either.

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 18th 06, 04:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote
> Floyd Rogers > wrote:
>> None of the M cars come with an automatic. They *do* come with
>> the SMG transmissions.

> The SMG *is* an auto. It simply allows more manual input than most
> epicyclic ones - but this is not intrinsic in either.

Except it's clear (to me) that the OP wants a true autobox for
creeping around in traffic, which the SMG is not good at.
And I don't want to debate the meaning of "auto", so stuff it.

FloydR

Old January 18th 06, 05:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
Floyd Rogers > wrote:
> > The SMG *is* an auto. It simply allows more manual input than most
> > epicyclic ones - but this is not intrinsic in either.

> Except it's clear (to me) that the OP wants a true autobox for
> creeping around in traffic, which the SMG is not good at.

Not at the moment, but will be in a couple of years when BMW finally
adopts a twin layshaft/clutch version.

> And I don't want to debate the meaning of "auto", so stuff it.

I was just interested in the snobbery implied. In the UK most learn on a
manual and have a manual as their first car. So don't consider it an
exclusive feature but the norm.

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Old January 18th 06, 06:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

sunderland wrote:
> An automatic in a BMW is pretty much a waste. Buy a Mercedes/Chrysler
> if that's what you want. BMW shouldn't even MAKE a M3/M5 with a
> slushbox. Big power + rear wheel drive + transmission shifts in the
> middle of a curve = problems.

Which is why modern BMW's autos know about steering input and lateral
acceleration, amongst other things - no surprise shifts at the wrong moment.

An adaptive auto with Steptronic (or better yet ALPINA Switchtronic)
manual mode gives the best of both worlds.

Old January 18th 06, 06:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

szguitar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Many of my friends have been giving me advice of DONT buy a BMW they
> are a money pit car, $900 alternators, etc... nothing but problems.

A wild overstatement. The e36 has proven to be very reliable, and after
the first year or so of production, the e46 has too. Since the e90 is
brand new, 1) there is little info on its reliability yet, and 2) it's
likely to be less reliable in its first year than it will be in years
thereafter.

> I thought the best people to ask are actual BMW owners. Would you do it
> again?

Actually, after owning 3 e36s (325i, 325is, M3), I've been looking
around at a lot of alternatives for my next car, but I just don't see
any way I'd be happy with anything other than a used e46 330 or M3
(unless it's a new e90 325i with sport package).

I guess I've been spoiled for other makes.

> I love the way they look, the cars I've test drove felt like great
> engineering went into them. I've heard things such as real men own
> only 5 series and up? What's the deal with that?

Drivel. 5 series are bigger softer and less agile than 3 series.
Except for the M5, of course. If "real men" prefer boulevard cruisers
to sports cars, then you heard right.

> I need help in deciding whether to buy a BMW and if so, which model
> convertible would be the most reliable with the least maintenance
> costs?

If this is your primary criterion, buy a Honda S2000 or Toyota MR
Spyder. They're the most reliable convertibles out there. And bland.

> I would prefer something that's a pretty quick and fun to drive
> in the hills and an automatic (M3 or M5?).

All M5s are manual. I'd choose an auto (SMG) M3, personally. It's
actually faster than the manual.

> Pro's and con's of going
> with an automatic in a BMW? I personally prefer a stick however,
> traffic has gotten so bad it's a drag constantly going on and off the
> clutch.

If your traffic is bad, I'd *definitely* get a SMG. You can manually
paddle shift when you feel the need for speed, and otherwise be shiftless.

> Since I've never owned a BMW all advice on years and models to avoid
> and the best years/models, tips etc. would be much appreciated.

Avoid the first year of a new model. That's about it.

The factory set the e46 M3s' rev limiter too high, letting some fools
damage the engine. I suspect that's more common on manuals than autos,
though. If you buy a e46 M3, I'd chip it (e.g. Jim Conforti) to bring
down the rev limit a little, especially if you see yourself pushing the
car hard. But most M3 owners don't (...chip or drive hard).

On older M3s, I'd also look at the shock towers to see if there's
cracking. It's a pretty stiff suspension. In fact, you'd better drive
one before buying. A sport 330 might be a lot easier to live with,
especially if you live in Pothole Land.

Randy

Old January 18th 06, 08:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Randy" > wrote
> szguitar wrote:

> All M5s are manual. I'd choose an auto (SMG) M3, personally. It's
> actually faster than the manual.

The new M5 comes (currently) only with an SMG.

> The factory set the e46 M3s' rev limiter too high, letting some fools
> damage the engine.

Not true. They (finally) admitted to two problems, both related to
bearing failures (one was a bad batch of bearings, the other oiling IIRC).

FloydR
Old January 18th 06, 10:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"JimV" > wrote in message
. ..
> You'll get lots of opinions on this, even from BMW owners. Keep in mind
> that a lot of folks here are under warranty or contract so they don't pay
> out of pocket for every repair. BMWs are expensive to maintain as they
> age, especially if you're paying Hans at the dealer $90/hr to work on it
> and full markup on parts. If you can handle some of it yourself it's not
> so bad. BMWs are fairly reliable, but not Japanese reliable. But then they
> don't drive or look like Japanese cars either. It's a

> trade off. Real BMW owners don't own automatics... :-)

The ones who can afford them do, the ones who can't act like they wouldn't
have it any other way. :-)

Old January 18th 06, 11:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Floyd Rogers wrote:
> "Randy" > wrote

>>The factory set the e46 M3s' rev limiter too high, letting some fools
>>damage the engine.

> Not true. They (finally) admitted to two problems, both related to
> bearing failures (one was a bad batch of bearings, the other oiling IIRC).

Did BMW redress this in more than just words? Was there a recall?

How can a buyer know if an M3 has been "fixed"? Or if it needs to be?

Randy

Old January 18th 06, 11:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Randy" > wrote
> Floyd Rogers wrote:
>> "Randy" > wrote

>>>The factory set the e46 M3s' rev limiter too high, letting some fools
>>>damage the engine.

>> Not true. They (finally) admitted to two problems, both related to
>> bearing failures (one was a bad batch of bearings, the other oiling
>> IIRC).

> Did BMW redress this in more than just words? Was there a recall?
>
> How can a buyer know if an M3 has been "fixed"? Or if it needs to be?

There were two recalls. Easy to track from the vin.

FloydR

Old January 19th 06, 01:41 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Jack Dotson wrote:
> "JimV" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>You'll get lots of opinions on this, even from BMW owners. Keep in mind
>>that a lot of folks here are under warranty or contract so they don't pay
>>out of pocket for every repair. BMWs are expensive to maintain as they
>>age, especially if you're paying Hans at the dealer $90/hr to work on it
>>and full markup on parts. If you can handle some of it yourself it's not
>>so bad. BMWs are fairly reliable, but not Japanese reliable. But then they
>>don't drive or look like Japanese cars either. It's a

>>trade off. Real BMW owners don't own automatics... :-)

> The ones who can afford them do, the ones who can't act like they wouldn't
> have it any other way. :-)

That's silly, Jack. The automatic option does not increase the price of
the car very much at all. Most manual transmission owners have it
because the *prefer* to drive one. It's not a matter of economics...

--
-Fred W

FAQ for this newsgroup Dima BMW 5 May 11th 05 10:19 PM
various problems with my MX nytrex Mazda 6 February 7th 05 07:08 PM
Need more information on E36 and E30 BMWs Lukasz A Kaczmarek BMW 5 December 11th 04 08:49 PM
STARTING PROBLEMS WITH EARLY BMW'S SPECIFICALLY 735IL Hans Van Der Heyden BMW 0 October 13th 04 09:09 AM
These problems normal for a 5-year-old Saturn? Philip Nasadowski Saturn 7 August 30th 04 03:55 AM