Finally joined the GPL Nurburg 500 sec club

Old September 12th 05, 07:49 AM
Jeff Reid

Default Finally joined the GPL Nurburg 500 sec club

The 500 second club refers to getting a sub 8:20 lap time
in Grand Prix Legends at Nurburg Ring. My new time is
just under 8:19 (8:18.77).

Surpisingly, what got me started was Nascar Racing Season 2003.
Hearing that the Sierra server may be getting shutdown soon,
I decided to try NR2003 online racing, mostly superspeedway
events, where little skill is required. You're in a tight
pack of 30+ cars, and it's mostly wreck avoidance, pitting
well, and catching a draft soon after you exit the pits.
A typical race lasts about 20 minutes, and you're usually
waiting for another 10 minutes, so about 30 minutes per race.
I managed my share of wins, but realized that I wasn't really
improvingany skills at all while running these races.

I remembered that getting a sub 8:20 at Nurburg was one goal
I had never accomplished, but my previous attempts were just
single lap runs, aborting at the first crash. This time I
setup for 3 laps, and if I crashed, I just reset the car
(new fuel, but cold tires), and kept going, determined to
really learn the track, and the car. It took a while to get
relearn GPL again, all the bumps and jumps in the track,
and one or more incidents on almost every lap, and it was
late so I quit after getting an 8:22.2. After a good nights
sleep, I started up again, and got an 8:18.77 on my very
first lap.

Old September 12th 05, 10:25 AM
Asgeir Nesoen

It's surprising how a good nights sleep helps. I have been struggeling
at late night to achieve some goal with a sim, and it has been
oh-so-easy the next morning.

---A---

Old September 12th 05, 12:16 PM
Jan Verschueren

"Asgeir Nesoen" wrote...
> It's surprising how a good nights sleep helps. I have been
> struggeling at late night to achieve some goal with a sim,
> and it has been oh-so-easy the next morning.

Driving racecars is like making stew. If you leave it over night and heat it
up the next day, it always tastes better.

Jan.
=---

Old September 12th 05, 01:49 PM
Dave Henrie

"Jan Verschueren" > wrote in
:

> Driving racecars is like making stew. If you leave it over night and
> heat it up the next day, it always tastes better.
>
> Jan.
> =---

Him I must be making Clam Chowder then, Cuz I always taste SAND!

dave henrie
Old September 12th 05, 06:33 PM
Malc

"Jan Verschueren" > wrote in message

> Driving racecars is like making stew. If you leave it over night and heat

it
> up the next day, it always tastes better.

Nah it's like riding a bike. Massive risk of injury if you screw up, a hell
of alot of effort to travel a short distance & the distinct impression that
everyone else on the road is out to get you.

Malc.

Old September 12th 05, 07:38 PM
Nick

Jeff Reid wrote:
> Hearing that the Sierra server may be getting shutdown soon,

Is that true? Would races not require logging in to Sierra any more?

Old September 12th 05, 09:07 PM
Jeff Reid

>> Hearing that the Sierra server may be getting shutdown soon,
> Is that true? Would races not require logging in to Sierra any more?

There would only be TCP/IP races, no chat room or list of races
unless someone generates a program to duplicate the Sierra interface.
Also no stats.

Since all NR2003 related code belongs to iRacing now, I'm suprised
that Sierra has kept their server up this long.

Old September 12th 05, 10:19 PM
ymenard

"Jeff Reid" > wrote
> Since all NR2003 related code belongs to iRacing now, I'm suprised
> that Sierra has kept their server up this long.

They still do it for Tribes 1, which was released in 1998!

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old September 13th 05, 10:56 AM
Jeff Reid

> The 500 second club refers to getting a sub 8:20 lap time
> in Grand Prix Legends at Nurburg Ring. My new time is
> just under 8:19 (8:18.77).

Did another session, down to 8:15.32 (just barely legal,
there's a 2 wheels on the track rule, and at one spot, my
inside tires were just barely on the outside paint).
That's probably going to be it for right now, as the other
10 tracks need relative improvement.

Old September 13th 05, 12:33 PM
Malc

"Jeff Reid" > wrote in message

> Did another session, down to 8:15.32 (just barely legal,
> there's a 2 wheels on the track rule, and at one spot, my
> inside tires were just barely on the outside paint).
> That's probably going to be it for right now, as the other
> 10 tracks need relative improvement.

Having two wheels on the track is only essential for a WR, for anything else
it's just something to aim for. Nurby is hard enough without worrying about
stuff like that.

Rather than moving on to the other tracks immediately I suggest you try to
match your time in another chassis while you are still dialled in to the
track. You can use pretty well the same basic setup for all cars with some
minor tweaks to allow for weight distribution, gearing etc. Try making a
copy of your lo1 (lotus F1) setup file & renaming it to co1, fe1 or whatever
to save copying everything between setups.

If you can match your time in any other car, when you go back to the Lotus
you'll probably set another PB, and so on. I did this for about 4 years to
get my first sub-8, it takes a great deal of patience and time though.

Malc.

Finally! JohnH Driving 16 July 30th 05 12:08 AM
Vancouver Area - Acura Club ideas Echo Honda 0 June 18th 05 10:30 AM
Average Drivers Club GTR Division David Fletcher Simulators 0 May 27th 05 03:48 PM
8th Annual Saturn Performance Club Summer Rally 7/27-31 Kevin M. Keller Saturn 2 March 13th 05 12:43 AM
Have Your Club Volunteer Time Help Win Great Prizes! Greg Adams 4x4 0 October 15th 04 05:33 AM