ABS light is on

Old January 4th 11, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Mrcheerful

Default ABS light is on

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>> Terry Pinnell > wrote:
>>> I have a 1996 N-reg BMW 328SE Auto. Its ABS light is coming on and
>>> staying on while driving. However, using the CHECK button on the
>>> computer panel displays 'Check Controls OK'.

>> This means the ABS system has detected an error. Someone needs to
>> connect
>> up a scanner to find the error.
>>
>>> I haven't been able so far to test it out on a suitable surface, but
>>> should I assume it's broken? If so, is a repair likely to be within
>>> the capabilities my local garage (which regularly services the
>>> car), or am I going to have to take it to an expensive BMW dealer
>>> please?

>> I would suggest a local independant BMW service guy, not a dealer
>> but someone who has done the BMW training and has the special
>> tooling. You can try your local garage but many of the generic scan
>> tools won't be able to get the error off the system.
>>
>> Once you know what the actual error message is, then you can find
>> out what
>> is likely to be wrong and then how to fix it. If you're lucky it's
>> just a bad wheel sensor somewhere.
>> --scott

> Thanks all, appreciate the fast responses.
>
> Booked it in for a scan. The mechanic I spoke to thought it might well
> just be a wheel sensor as you suggested. One symptom I mentioned to
> him that I missed from my post was that the light doesn't come on
> when the engine is started, only when in motion. (And I *think* not
> when I'm reversing out of the drive.)

the car cant tell whether the wheel sensor is giving a signal till it moves
and abs is probably disabled in reverse. So wheel sensor or wiring is
certainly high on the list to check.

Old January 4th 11, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Terry Pinnell" > wrote in message
>I have a 1996 N-reg BMW 328SE Auto. Its ABS light is coming on and staying
> on while driving. However, using the CHECK button on the computer panel
> displays 'Check Controls OK'.
>
> I haven't been able so far to test it out on a suitable surface, but
> should I assume it's broken? If so, is a repair likely to be within the
> capabilities my local garage (which regularly services the car), or am I
> going to have to take it to an expensive BMW dealer please?

The ABS light being on means the ABS will not work -- your tires will lock
if you use the brakes in a panic, or on ice even if not in a panic.

ABS looks for a tire to stop turning as you apply the brakes. It it finds
one then the brakeing pressure is removed from that wheel for a moment and
then is reapplied. The result is that the wheel is allowed to turn so you
retain directional control over that wheel. The light being on means the
system is disabled and the tire will lock and remain so until you release
the brakes.

This is not a fatal condition -- we drove around for decades without ABS
systems. Indeed, in the early days of ABS, lots of people wanted information
on how to disable them.

In any case, you have a failed speed sensor in one or more of the wheels.
Odds favor just one failed sensor, but there are four of them and you have
no clue which one. You need a diagnostic device that connects to the Data
Link Connector (the round one by the right-side shock tower in the engine
bay) to read which one has failed. Replacing a speed sensor is not a
difficult task, and one that most people should be capable of undertaking at
home.

Old January 4th 11, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

Old January 4th 11, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Chris Whelan

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:04:38 -0800, Jeff Strickland wrote:

[...]

> The ABS light being on means the ABS will not work

No it doesn't.

It means the system "thinks" there is a fault which *might* mean the ABS
won't work.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old January 4th 11, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Chris Whelan

Old January 4th 11, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Adrian

Chris Whelan > gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

>> The ABS light being on means the ABS will not work

> No it doesn't.
>
> It means the system "thinks" there is a fault which *might* mean the ABS
> won't work.

I've never yet come across an ABS system that didn't fail-safe and turn
off completely at the first sniff of a fault.
Old January 4th 11, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Adrian

Old January 4th 11, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Chris Whelan

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:35:19 +0000, Adrian wrote:

> Chris Whelan > gurgled happily, sounding
> much like they were saying:
>
>>> The ABS light being on means the ABS will not work

>> No it doesn't.
>>
>> It means the system "thinks" there is a fault which *might* mean the
>> ABS won't work.

> I've never yet come across an ABS system that didn't fail-safe and turn
> off completely at the first sniff of a fault.

The wiring loom to the dash gets damaged; a short from a live wire
connects to the ABS warning light...

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old January 4th 11, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Chris Whelan

Old January 4th 11, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Chris Whelan" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:04:38 -0800, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> The ABS light being on means the ABS will not work

> No it doesn't.
>
> It means the system "thinks" there is a fault which *might* mean the ABS
> won't work.
>
> Chris

Same thing.

If you cannot rely on the system working, then it does not work even if
there is random functionality.

86 C4 ABS LIGHT edsplacecars Corvette 1 October 25th 06 05:15 PM
ABS light on... Dangerousdt Honda 0 July 11th 06 05:04 AM
ABS Light Bill Hall Ford Explorer 5 May 22nd 06 10:10 PM
ABS Light came on xxxxxxxx Ford Explorer 3 December 31st 04 09:12 AM