belt routing 1999 528i M52TU ?

Old June 18th 09, 08:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
kjb

Default belt routing 1999 528i M52TU ?

Hi all,
I'm in quick need of belt routing diagram. Can anyone help please?
Thanks

Old June 18th 09, 08:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"kjb" > wrote in message
news
> Hi all,
> I'm in quick need of belt routing diagram. Can anyone help please?
> Thanks

I did a Google search when I needed one.

You can do it by following a si8mple rule though, any pulley that is smooth
will contact the outside surface of the belt, any pulley that is ribbed
contacts the inside. When you come off of the crank, your inclination is to
go straight up to the waterpump, and this is where you get screwed up.

Come off of the crank on the passenger side (USA models), but wrap around
the top of the crank and go over to the spring loaded idler pulley, then
wrap around that pulley and go back to the water pump. The rest of the belt
can only fit one way if you observe the rules about ribbed and smooth
pullies.

Old June 18th 09, 09:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
kjb[_2_]

Jeff,
Thank you sir!!!

Old June 18th 09, 09:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"kjb" > wrote in message
> Jeff,
> Thank you sir!!!

You're welcome.

I helped my neighbor replace the belt on his car a few weeks ago, and we had
trouble with routing around the spring-loaded idler. We had the belt looking
like it should work, but it was too long by about 2 inches.

We found the routing diagram via a Google search, and found we were going
around the idler in the wrong direction. Once we got that part right, the
rest was easy.

Good luck.

Old June 19th 09, 01:35 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"kjb" > wrote in message
> Jeff,
> Thank you sir!!!

You asked me a question outside of the group. This is poor form. You shoule
stay inside of the group so everybody can benefit from yoru question and my
answer.

You asked about changing the belt without removing the fan or shroud.

I replaced the belt on the same motor, but in a 3 Series car, and I was able
to get the job done by only removing the engie cover from the bottom of the
engine bay. The fan and shroud was not disturbed. You are working in a 5
Series, so your mileage may vary.

Old June 21st 09, 11:51 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/d/g/4.png