97 528i for 11K

Old February 3rd 05, 04:28 PM
The Malt Hound

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> The Malt Hound <Malt_Hound@*no spam please*yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > In the UK it would be ruled out by the cost of insurance for a
>> > young
>> > driver - very likely as much as the car itself. Wonder why things
>> > are
>> > obviously different in the US?
>> >

>> They are not. I would suggest that Dad do some insurance pricing
>> before he buys daughter the bimmer. Between that and the likely
>> maintenance costs, I'm pretty sure there would be a better car for
>> his
>> little girl.

>> BTW - I have been pretty lucky with SAABs for my 2 girls. Safe
>> cars.
>> Low insurance costs. They depreciate fast so PO has paid the huge
>> depreciation already and they are relatively cheap. But I do all
>> of
>> the maintenance (even relatively major stuff) myself.

> In the UK, even a 'safe' car like a SAAB or Volvo would still be
> prohibitive to insure for a young person. Unless wealthy, they've be
> looking at the smallest cars of around 1 litre.

Perhaps there is where our insurance differs. The insurance liability
rates (I wouldn't bother with collision and comprehensive on cheap
cars) are dependant both on the driver *and* the car being insured.
The difference between a SAAB 9000cse and a Honda Civic is the SAAB is
cheaper because it is a safer car. Fewer and smaller medical claims.

-Fred W

Old February 3rd 05, 06:08 PM
Michael

"Michael Low" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The E39 528 would make a great used buy - for you. However, it's not
> quite the same as used cars from "our early days". Repairs and
> maintenance can consume a lot more than the concept of "student's cars"
> of yore. Unless you or your daughter is good with a wrench and OBD II
> diagnostics you may end up paying for a lot of worn parts and fixes
> that the current owner may be hoping to pass on to the next buyer.
>
> Don't buy a used car for your kid that already has problems. If the
> problem were simple to fix the previous owner would have fixed it
> already.
>
> The 528 is really part of the current maintenance model for BMWs - lots
> of electronics and exacting tolerances. It's not like an old clunker
> that won't bother you if you detect a few imperfections with it. They
> will bother your daughter.
>
> The ideal used car for a youngster is one that is very tolerant of wear
> and tear and allows the youngster to try their hand at fixing or at
> least learn a relatively inexpensive lessons about driving, car
> maintenance and out-of-warranty part replacement costs. IMO, the 528
> is bit too complex and a bit big for a first car.

My feelings match your statements. My first preference for a new driver is
a Volvo. Handling isn't in the same league but crash survivability is
higher. I've been in wrecks in two Volvos and four BMW's, and sorry to say
but a Volvo is a tank in a wreck. The BMW's are much more able to avoid
wrecks due to their superior handling but can a sixteen year old avail
themselves of that ability? and they seem to have soooo much more
electrocrap on them now. The passenger side mirror dips automatically when
you put the car in reverse...what is that BS?

my BMW history
1973 2002 tii (why oh why did I sell this car?)
1974 2002 (totaled New Year's eve 1976, tequila was involved)
1976 2002
1982 or 81? 325e (big mistake)
198? 528i (rock solid workhorse)
1983 633 Csi w/ a five speed (they don't come much prettier), current garage
car.

Obviously I like the old ones. All the techno crap on this 97 scares me
just a bit.

Thanks to all for the input and advice.

Daily drive is a 97 960 Volvo w/ 205k on the odo.

Old February 3rd 05, 06:12 PM
Michael

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> Michael Low > wrote:
> > The ideal used car for a youngster is one that is very tolerant of wear
> > and tear and allows the youngster to try their hand at fixing or at
> > least learn a relatively inexpensive lessons about driving, car
> > maintenance and out-of-warranty part replacement costs. IMO, the 528
> > is bit too complex and a bit big for a first car.

> In the UK it would be ruled out by the cost of insurance for a young
> driver - very likely as much as the car itself. Wonder why things are
> obviously different in the US?

Checked w/ our insurance agent and it has changed so that a new driver is
charged the same HIGH fee whether they drive a Yugo or a Benz.

Go figure.

PS High fee is $1800/yr

Old February 3rd 05, 06:50 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Michael > wrote:
> The passenger side mirror dips automatically when
> you put the car in reverse...what is that BS?

Very useful when parallel parking - maybe more a Euro thing? But you can
disable it, of course.

--
*Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 3rd 05, 06:53 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Michael > wrote:
> > In the UK it would be ruled out by the cost of insurance for a young
> > driver - very likely as much as the car itself. Wonder why things are
> > obviously different in the US?

> Checked w/ our insurance agent and it has changed so that a new driver is
> charged the same HIGH fee whether they drive a Yugo or a Benz.

> Go figure.

> PS High fee is $1800/yr

Could easily be 2000 gbp + a year for a new young driver on the very
smallest cheapest car. With no collision cover - ie, you'd pay for the
damage to your car yourself if at blame.

On a Merc, it might be impossible to obtain cover at any cost.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Old February 3rd 05, 07:07 PM
The Malt Hound

"Michael" > wrote in message

> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
>> In article . com>,
>> Michael Low > wrote:
>> > The ideal used car for a youngster is one that is very tolerant
>> > of wear
>> > and tear and allows the youngster to try their hand at fixing or
>> > at
>> > least learn a relatively inexpensive lessons about driving, car
>> > maintenance and out-of-warranty part replacement costs. IMO, the
>> > 528
>> > is bit too complex and a bit big for a first car.

>> In the UK it would be ruled out by the cost of insurance for a
>> young
>> driver - very likely as much as the car itself. Wonder why things
>> are
>> obviously different in the US?

> Checked w/ our insurance agent and it has changed so that a new
> driver is
> charged the same HIGH fee whether they drive a Yugo or a Benz.
>
> Go figure.
>
> PS High fee is $1800/yr

Wow. Where is that? I don't pay that much for my 18 y/o son.

-Fred W

Old February 3rd 05, 07:25 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
The Malt Hound <Malt_Hound@*no spam please*yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Checked w/ our insurance agent and it has changed so that a new
> > driver is
> > charged the same HIGH fee whether they drive a Yugo or a Benz.
> >
> > Go figure.
> >
> > PS High fee is $1800/yr

> Wow. Where is that? I don't pay that much for my 18 y/o son.

You might like to have a play with a UK online quote insurance company to
see just how well off you are. Use my post code which is for just outside
Central London, so not the cheapest area. ;-) It's SW12 8HN.

The URL below is for Direct Line - one of the largest UK insurance
companies, and quite competitive.
http://www.directline.com/

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Old February 3rd 05, 07:35 PM
Michael

"The Malt Hound" <Malt_Hound@*no spam please*yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Michael" > wrote in message
> >
> > PS High fee is $1800/yr
> >

> Wow. Where is that? I don't pay that much for my 18 y/o son.

Piedmont NC

Drops by half (no problems of course) after 12 months and then by another
half after the second 12 months.

Old February 3rd 05, 08:12 PM
Michael Low

Yeah, helps prevent curb rash on your alloy rims and running over the
odd drunken elf lying in the gutter. The newer cars all seem have
"where the hell's the rear-end?" visibility.

Old February 4th 05, 02:54 AM
fbloogyudsr

"Michael" > wrote
> "Michael Low" > wrote
>... The passenger side mirror dips automatically when
> you put the car in reverse...what is that BS?

Put the selector switch to the passenger side and it won't do it.

We had a discussion (rant) about this feature a couple of years ago.
But you know what? I have found it very useful in avoiding curb rash.

Floyd

528i vs 530i vs 540i USA Versions FSJ BMW 37 January 16th 05 07:38 PM
1979 BMW 528I Any Info? mrchris BMW 1 January 2nd 05 02:18 PM
97 528i Runs hot then cool WHWHITE BMW 3 January 2nd 05 05:33 AM
528i Steering issue/questions Jeff BMW 1 October 6th 04 11:37 PM