Orange county, speed limit reduced?

Old December 3rd 04, 06:01 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Ramone Cila" > wrote in message

> "Jason G" > wrote in message
> > In article >, Jeff Strickland says...
> >
> > >I am not sure it would have helped me, here's why. I was driving and

the
> cop
> > >was in front of me and the radar was aimed at the back of the cars in

> front
> > >of me.

> > Oh yes, they like that, sit on the entrance ramp shoulder and shoot you

in
> the
> > back. Hardly seems sporting.
> >
> > Yes, the Valentine could help there, because of the reflections you

> mention.
>
> The Valentines are so sensitive, and radar bounces around to such a

degree,
> you don't have to be in the funnel to get a warning. That's one reason you
> get detection over hills and around bends. It is physically impossible for
> the gun to be reading you, but the detector is picking up bounces...all

over
> the place.
>
> The V1 is really quite incredible.I don't drive without it
> anymore.....course with my point level I'd be a fool not to :^)

My ticket cost me nearly $200. My point count is OK, but I can't take too
many fines. I should invest my next fine into a Valentine, and save the
hassle later ...

Old December 3rd 04, 06:18 PM
Matt O'Toole

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> My ticket cost me nearly $200. My point count is OK, but I can't take
> too many fines. I should invest my next fine into a Valentine, and
> save the hassle later ...

How does the "point count" affect your insurance though? Sometimes it's a lot,
sometimes not at all, depending on the insurance company. Over the few years
the points remain on your license, the extra premiums can really add up.

Matt O.

Old December 3rd 04, 06:21 PM
Matt O'Toole

Trey wrote:

> I believe in the 80s, and early 90s, they reduced the speed limit on
> the freeways to 55mph in an effort to "conserve fuel".

That was the 70s, in response to the Arab oil embargo. There was a lot of green
consciousness back then too, and class war politics against "the man" and his
big cars.

Matt O.

Old December 3rd 04, 07:33 PM
Trey

Peter Bozz wrote:
>>> And in any case, the official government position is that the speed
>>> limit is there to keep us, motorists, safe. A nice side effect for
>>> them, is the cash they get everytime someone gets photographed for
>>> doing 101kph in a 100 zone. "Safety first."

>> I believe in the 80s, and early 90s, they reduced the speed limit on
>> the freeways to 55mph in an effort to "conserve fuel". So its not
>> always a safety issue. Sometimes they really are just thinking about
>> your pocket book.

> True, true. But then, they launch an aggressive enforcement policy,
> making the fines such, that a single transgression is sufficient to
> wipe out any savings I made on fuel for the last 3 years. Kinda
> doesn't make sense...
>
> I don't really buy it that the government is concerned about my pocket
> book (except for what they can pull *out* of it, of course) :-) But
> maybe the US government is different....

I think the speed reduction back then was more to conserve fuel at the
national fuel reserve level, in order to avoid another '70s fuel crisis.
They can really care less about saving you money. If they really cared, they
would impose tighter regulations and more tax on the gas guzzlers and
excessively large vehicles.

Old December 3rd 04, 08:47 PM
Ramone Cila

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> My ticket cost me nearly $200. My point count is OK, but I can't take too
> many fines. I should invest my next fine into a Valentine, and save the
> hassle later ...

I must admit to suffering some sticker shock when buying my first one, I now
have them in each car and truck, but. as you imply, what they have saved me
in fines is far more than I have spent to purchase them. The one time in the
last 3 years that I driving without it I got caught for that 85 on a 55 and
paid about $ 250.00. One time and I get caught...it's just my luck!

I think they are still selling at $ 399.00.

Old December 3rd 04, 08:50 PM
Ramone Cila

"Matt O'Toole" > wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
> > My ticket cost me nearly $200. My point count is OK, but I can't take
> > too many fines. I should invest my next fine into a Valentine, and
> > save the hassle later ...

> How does the "point count" affect your insurance though? Sometimes it's a

lot,
> sometimes not at all, depending on the insurance company. Over the few

years
> the points remain on your license, the extra premiums can really add up.

That's for sure and nowadays the insurance companies count the lowest point
as 3 no matter what the local municipality has charged you. So if you get a
4 pointer and the city reduces that to 2, your insurance carrier will still
record it as a 3 pointer. If you get a 1 pointer your carrier will still
record it as a 3.

And you are right, the premium adjustment does add up.

Old December 3rd 04, 11:42 PM
Matt O'Toole

Trey wrote:

> I think the speed reduction back then was more to conserve fuel at the
> national fuel reserve level, in order to avoid another '70s fuel
> crisis. They can really care less about saving you money. If they
> really cared, they would impose tighter regulations and more tax on
> the gas guzzlers and excessively large vehicles.

At the time, gas prices had skyrocketed, so a tax would never have worked
politically.

Matt O.