Hmmmm?

Old October 27th 04, 05:01 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Dunno, but

"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by
candlelight."

;-
DAS
---

[...]

Old October 27th 04, 05:37 PM
Ramone Cila

"pete" > wrote in message

> I had a BMW 320i 6 cylinder for about two weeks and took it back and
> traded it for a V8 E39. Neither car is anywhere near as nimble as my
> Polo around town or country lanes but the V8 is just so superior in
> every way and has changed my driving habits for the better too.

Take note though: The E39 with the 3 liter engine was a better car. Almost
everything about the driving experience, save straight line acceleration,
was better. It out-slalomed the V8 model in most magazines tests as well (if
you compare Sport to Sport and standard to standard suspensions), being that
much a better weighted car with R&P steering.

My 1st E39 was a 530, my 2nd a 540 and I always wished I had stayed with the
530 for sheer driving pleasure. The 530 was/is an astoundingly great
automobile.

Old October 27th 04, 07:07 PM
KoKaineBoy

Fred - have you ever heard of the 2-series?
It is coming ot North America soon and will solve this apparent 'problem'
you've noticed...

Old October 27th 04, 10:02 PM
marlinspike

"Frank Kemper" > wrote in message
> I drive an inline6, and I have tried BMW 4-bangers. Believe me: they are
> not the right stuff.

What about the 2002? Or that 1.4l 4cyl race car engine BMW had that bumped
out a minimum of 1200hp (it maxed out the dyno)?
Richard

Old October 27th 04, 11:26 PM
Frank Kemper

"marlinspike" > haute in die Tasten:

> What about the 2002? Or that 1.4l 4cyl race car engine BMW had that
> bumped out a minimum of 1200hp (it maxed out the dyno)?
> Richard

The 2002 for sure was a nice car. But it was not available with a six
cylinder engine, so there was no choice. And the turbocharged formula one
engine you are referring to was never for sale for US customers;-)

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old October 27th 04, 11:55 PM
dizzy

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:40:11 -0400, "Fred W." <Fred.Wills@'remove this
to reply to' myrealbox.com> wrote:

>"Frank Kemper" > wrote in message
.. .
>> "DP" > haute in die Tasten:
>>
>>> http://www.bmw.com/3seriessedan/

>> My personal opinion? Looks better than the E46. But let's wait unil I have
>> seen one in
>> real.

>I agree. This is the best looking design that has come from BMW in quite
>some time now. The iDrive is optional (as it should be). The only question
>is, can the active steering and run-flat tires be deleted as well?

I agree with everything above. No spare? What about the 6 months
that we're running Winter tires?

>Personally, I think that BMWNA would do well to bring the 4 cyl and diesel
>to the US,

This I do not agree with. Every cheap Korean cars have 6-cylinders,
now. I'm never going back to a shaky, flatulent, 4-banger, that's for
sure...

Old October 28th 04, 01:23 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
dizzy > wrote:
> I'm never going back to a shaky, flatulent, 4-banger, that's for
> sure...

But the BMW fours are smoother than some sixes. They have balance shafts.

--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 28th 04, 02:12 AM
Nate Nagel

Fred W. wrote:

> "Frank Kemper" > wrote in message
>
>>"DP" > haute in die Tasten:
>>

>>>http://www.bmw.com/3seriessedan/

>>My personal opinion? Looks better than the E46. But let's wait unil I have
>>seen one in
>>real.

> I agree. This is the best looking design that has come from BMW in quite
> some time now. The iDrive is optional (as it should be). The only question
> is, can the active steering and run-flat tires be deleted as well?
>
> Personally, I think that BMWNA would do well to bring the 4 cyl and diesel
> to the US, though past history suggests we will just get the two 6 cyl
> engines.
>
> -Fred W

At least iDrive isn't mandatory. But still, I miss the older BMW
styling. Something about a 2002 or 3.0 that hasn't been captured since.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old October 28th 04, 10:17 AM
Frank Kemper

Nate Nagel > haute in die Tasten:

> At least iDrive isn't mandatory.

For those who are eager to know: BMW will bring the E90 with two different types of
dashboard: If you want a Navi system, you have to buy the dashboard version with a big
LCD screen in the middle and with I-Drive (looks similar to the E60), if you do not
want a Navi, then you can get a somewhat more conservative dashboard without this LCD
screen. Currently I do not know if there is also a version with I-Drive and LCD screen,
but without Navi - and I do not know if these informations are valid for countries
other than Germany. According to the info I read, there will be a new 2.5 straight six
with around 230 HP and a newly designed valvetronic 3 litre straight six with more than
270 HP. They did not mention any V8 engine planned for the E90, and estate and
convertible versions are scheduled for 2007. Although the E90 gets bigger than the E46
(additional room for the rear passengers), it is said that the weight will stay
basically the same. And BMW designed the E90 in that way that they can assemble it on
the same assembly line as the new 1' series.

Those of you who definitely want a BMW E90 with V8 engine, should wait one year or two
and ask Alpina for one. They have fitted BMW 3's for years with V8 engines, so I think
they will continue with the E90. The link: www.alpina.de

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old October 28th 04, 10:37 AM
Andre Buhk

Frank Kemper schrieb:

> Those of you who definitely want a BMW E90 with V8 engine, should wait one year or two
> and ask Alpina for one. They have fitted BMW 3's for years with V8 engines, so I think
> they will continue with the E90. The link: www.alpina.de

But they stopped it 1998. There was no E46 with V8.

andre