How good IS BMW's 6 cylinder engine?

Old August 29th 07, 06:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default How good IS BMW's 6 cylinder engine?

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:28:57 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:01:36 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
>wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> bfd > wrote:
>>> Further, a 5 or 6 speed manual is a must for any enthusiast.

>>What makes you think enthusiastic drivers don't like autos? I am and I do.

>"Enthusiast" implies a degree of enthusiasm for the activity and precision
>control of driving which is well beyond that which can be exhibited with an
>automatic transmission.
>
>-- Larry

Depends Larry ---- Remember the Chaparral racing sports cars of the late 1960s
and early 1970. First ground effect cars + auto transmission. Ground effect?
They had skirts and totally enclosed rear wheels and the rear had 2 x fans
sucking the air out driven by a 2 stroke mercury outboard engine. They were
also the first to fit aero foils.

Boy were they fun............................ especially for the drivers until
banned by the unsporting rule changes by people that couldn't beat them.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

--
I used to be an Egotistical Meglomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

Old August 29th 07, 07:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
pltrgyst[_1_]

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:27:01 +0100, "Mike G" > wrote:

>>>What makes you think enthusiastic drivers don't like autos? I am and I do.

>> "Enthusiast" implies a degree of enthusiasm for the activity and precision
>> control of driving which is well beyond that which can be exhibited with
>> an automatic transmission.

>OK, I'll bite.
>You have a very narrow...

Yep.

>... and misguided idea of what defines a driving enthusiast.

Nope.

I have driven tanks (literally) with automatic transmissions. You can enjoy the
experience, but it doesn't qualify one as a "driving enthusiast."

Although I would disagree with the OP as well -- the number of forward gears
doesn't matter much. I've driven six-speeds which would have been better
considered as four-speeds for real-world driving purposes. Unless you've got a
really small engine that needs the extra gears, six speeds is overkill for the
street.

-- Larry
Old August 29th 07, 10:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:37:28 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:37:35 +0100, wrote:
>
>>Depends Larry ---- Remember the Chaparral racing sports cars of the late 1960s
>>and early 1970. First ground effect cars + auto transmission. Ground effect?
>>They had skirts and totally enclosed rear wheels and the rear had 2 x fans
>>sucking the air out driven by a 2 stroke mercury outboard engine. They were
>>also the first to fit aero foils.
>>
>>Boy were they fun............................ especially for the drivers until
>>banned by the unsporting rule changes by people that couldn't beat them.

>Yes, I was a big Jim Hall fan too -- but I hated those transmissions. 8 And
>today's F-1 transmissions, for that matter.
>
>This being an ancient fogey gets old at times...but there's nothing like driving
>a quick, light vehicle, with a lot for the driver to do.
>
>-- Larry

Larry - it sounds as if we have both been around the block a few
times........... Wheeeeeeee!
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Old August 29th 07, 10:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mike

Anyone else get a valve lifter ticking in the E90 I6 (2007 330), when engine
is cold?

Goes away after 5 min or so.

Thanks,

Mike

.. .

Old August 30th 07, 03:50 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >, bfd853
@comcast.net says...

> > wrote in message
> .. .
> > In article >,
> > lid says...

> >> The BMW I6 is a sweet motor, and one of the main reason to buy a BMW.
> >>

> > I think that everyone responding so far was in agreement...BMW makes a
> > great engine. That has always been my impression from what I've read
> > and heard. I am now looking for my next car...a BMW 3 series. Maybe
> > 2006 or 2007 since I can't quite see paying for a brandy new one. Any
> > options I should stay away from, or any I should definitiely get?
> > Once again, I appreciate all responses. Thanks to all.

> Easy, stay away from BMW NAV and idrive. Compared to the Japanese version,
> its garbage!
>
> What you should get: if you're buying new, definitely get the Xenon light
> option. At about $800, its a bargain. Further, a 5 or 6 speed manual is a
> must for any enthusiast. Moreover, don't forget the sports suspension. Are
> limited slip differentials still available? If so, get one!

What is wrong with the NAV system? I've heard that it takes a little
bit to get used to, but is there also a defect in the system, or another
reason to stay away from it?
Also, how is the 6 speed automatic tranny? I have a manual shift car
right now, and I need a break, so I am thinking automatic.
Old August 30th 07, 05:06 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Chom_Noamsky

You will NOT regret a manual tranny... easy shifts, smooth.... if you know
HOW to drive manual, don't waste your $$ on an automatic.
I went from manual bimmer to auto 540 and it was fast but BORING... manual
is so much more responsive and controllable.
Unless your leg is falling off, you don't NEED a break

.. .

Old August 30th 07, 06:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd[_1_]

> wrote in message
.. .
> In article >, bfd853
> @comcast.net says...
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> .. .
>> > In article >,
>> > lid says...

>> > I think that everyone responding so far was in agreement...BMW makes a
>> > great engine. That has always been my impression from what I've read
>> > and heard. I am now looking for my next car...a BMW 3 series. Maybe
>> > 2006 or 2007 since I can't quite see paying for a brandy new one. Any
>> > options I should stay away from, or any I should definitiely get?
>> > Once again, I appreciate all responses. Thanks to all.

>> Easy, stay away from BMW NAV and idrive. Compared to the Japanese
>> version,
>> its garbage!
>>
>> What you should get: if you're buying new, definitely get the Xenon light
>> option. At about $800, its a bargain. Further, a 5 or 6 speed manual is a
>> must for any enthusiast. Moreover, don't forget the sports suspension.
>> Are
>> limited slip differentials still available? If so, get one!
>>

> What is wrong with the NAV system? I've heard that it takes a little
> bit to get used to, but is there also a defect in the system, or another
> reason to stay away from it?

What's wrong with the NAV? Have you tried one? I say go try a BMW NAV
system, then check out anything from Lexus, Nissan, or Honda. Even Jaguar
was smart enough to purchase the same NAV system used by Lexus (Nippon Denso
made). The big difference, in the Japanese cars, you get either touch screen
or voice command NAV system. Works like a charm. BMW, now how do I work that
idrive thing again? Try them both, then get back to us.

> Also, how is the 6 speed automatic tranny? I have a manual shift car
> right now, and I need a break, so I am thinking automatic.

OK, if you really want an auto tranny, Roundel says that the new ZF6HP19TU
six-speed automatic, found in the new 335i and 535i, is fantastic and works
better than the E60 M5 SMG. The only thing is make sure you change the fluid
every what 100k miles or so, if you plan to keep the car long term.

Personally, I like a nice manual tranny with some good synthetic fluid from
Redline or Purple Royal. Changed every 25-30K miles, its a nice and smooth
shift!

Old August 30th 07, 08:39 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

"Chom_Noamsky" wrote
> You will NOT regret a manual tranny... easy shifts, smooth....

In all honesty, the manual on my 530i (e39) is the most finnicky, difficult
transmission I have ever owned or driven (many). You have to be extra slow
releasing the clutch if you want to do it smoothly, and even then sometimes
you end up jerking the car. There is something about the clutch pedal
spring weight that just misleads a driver letting him know that the pedal
has already been released while the in reality the clutch has not yet
engaged. And I am not alone in this observation... a lot of e39 guys on
various internet forums complain of the same.

This is after I removed the CDV. Before that, it was even less predictable,
although slightly less jerky. Someone on bimmerforums recommended replacing
the dual weight springs under the clutch pedal - I might have to try it some
day.

Hopefully the current crop of manual trannies is less picky.

Pete

Old August 30th 07, 10:13 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:50:15 GMT, > wrote:

>In article >, bfd853
says...

>> > wrote in message
>> .. .
>> > In article >,
>> > lid says...

>> > I think that everyone responding so far was in agreement...BMW makes a
>> > great engine. That has always been my impression from what I've read
>> > and heard. I am now looking for my next car...a BMW 3 series. Maybe
>> > 2006 or 2007 since I can't quite see paying for a brandy new one. Any
>> > options I should stay away from, or any I should definitiely get?
>> > Once again, I appreciate all responses. Thanks to all.

>> Easy, stay away from BMW NAV and idrive. Compared to the Japanese version,
>> its garbage!
>>
>> What you should get: if you're buying new, definitely get the Xenon light
>> option. At about $800, its a bargain. Further, a 5 or 6 speed manual is a
>> must for any enthusiast. Moreover, don't forget the sports suspension. Are
>> limited slip differentials still available? If so, get one!
>>

>What is wrong with the NAV system? I've heard that it takes a little
>bit to get used to, but is there also a defect in the system, or another
>reason to stay away from it?
>Also, how is the 6 speed automatic tranny? I have a manual shift car
>right now, and I need a break, so I am thinking automatic.

The 6 speed auto in my 730d is fantastic. Cannot tell when it shifts except
when foot through the floor boards. Snicks into 6 (overdrive) imperceptibly
except when @ 100 mph the rev counter drops to 1900rpm.

go for it.