BMW Alfina

Old September 23rd 04, 10:55 PM
JB

Default BMW Alfina

I was driving around York, PA recently when I approached a car that,
from the rear, looked like some kind of Jag. When I pulled along
side, it was a BMW "Alfina." The BMW website doesn't mention it and
when you do a search on the newgroups, most of what little you get is
in another language. Is this car imported in to the US? What does it
cost? Specs?
Old September 23rd 04, 11:28 PM
Rick Clark

>JB honked his horn and wrote:

> I was driving around York, PA recently when I approached a car that,
> from the rear, looked like some kind of Jag. When I pulled along
> side, it was a BMW "Alfina." The BMW website doesn't mention it and
> when you do a search on the newgroups, most of what little you get is
> in another language. Is this car imported in to the US? What does it
> cost? Specs?

Probably an 'Alpina'. No idea on costs.

--
Cheers

Rick

'92 E36 325 Coupe
http://bmw.aqua-maniac.co.uk
Old September 23rd 04, 11:38 PM
Tom Korth

"JB" > wrote in message
om...
>I was driving around York, PA recently when I approached a car that,
> from the rear, looked like some kind of Jag. When I pulled along
> side, it was a BMW "Alfina." The BMW website doesn't mention it and
> when you do a search on the newgroups, most of what little you get is
> in another language. Is this car imported in to the US? What does it
> cost? Specs?

Assuming it was a late model roadster, you saw the last iteration (2002
IIRC) of the limited production BMW Z8, known as the Z8 Alpina. It has a
V-8 motor, about 400 HP and a 5 speed automatic box. Cost new was around
$130,000.

Tom

Old September 23rd 04, 11:38 PM
Mark \(UK\)

JB wrote:
> I was driving around York, PA recently when I approached a car that,
> from the rear, looked like some kind of Jag. When I pulled along
> side, it was a BMW "Alfina." The BMW website doesn't mention it and
> when you do a search on the newgroups, most of what little you get is
> in another language. Is this car imported in to the US? What does it
> cost? Specs?

That would be Alpina, http://www.alpina-automobile.de.

Depends which model, they do versions of several BMW models.

Mark

Old September 23rd 04, 11:46 PM
Tom Korth

"Tom Korth" > wrote in message

> "JB" > wrote in message
> om...
>>I was driving around York, PA recently when I approached a car that,
>> from the rear, looked like some kind of Jag. When I pulled along
>> side, it was a BMW "Alfina." The BMW website doesn't mention it and
>> when you do a search on the newgroups, most of what little you get is
>> in another language. Is this car imported in to the US? What does it
>> cost? Specs?

> Assuming it was a late model roadster, you saw the last iteration (2002
> IIRC) of the limited production BMW Z8, known as the Z8 Alpina. It has a
> V-8 motor, about 400 HP and a 5 speed automatic box. Cost new was around
> $130,000.
>
> Tom

The following link lists two BMW Certified Pre-Owned Z8's (both non-Alpina
with 6 speed manual transmission) for sale within 500 miles of PA. Happy
hunting!

http://www.bmwusa.com/BMW2003/Templa...=NoModifyGuest

Tom

Old October 11th 04, 01:50 PM
DECjr

I saw it tooling around Route 30 in York on Sunday at noon. It was going
eastbound and exited onto 83 southbound. It was being driven by an older
gentleman.

It was metallic and a hard top, or maybe a hard top convertible, but the
top was on. Incredible! Part Jag, ppart Porsche. I went around it,
slowed, went around it again, slowed down again, and generally made a
nuisance of myself while ogling it.

I also thought it was spelled “Alfina”, and I found your message through
Google to Totally BMW by spelling it that way.

One sexy car.

Old October 11th 04, 02:21 PM
Frank Kemper

"DECjr" > haute in die Tasten:

> It was metallic and a hard top, or maybe a hard top convertible, but
> the top was on. Incredible! Part Jag, ppart Porsche. I went around
> it, slowed, went around it again, slowed down again, and generally
> made a nuisance of myself while ogling it.

Is it that what you saw:

http://www.bmwnation.com/IMAGES/ARTI...0084_IMG_alpin
a_z8_l.jpg

This is an Alpina Z8, which has a 4.8 litre V8 engine (375 hp) modified
by Alpina and a 5 speed tiptronic gearbox. The car is based on the
original BMW Z8, which has the 394 hp V8 engine from the E39 M5 and a
manual 6 speed gearbox. The original Z8 has been discontinued one year
ago or so. Do not know if Alpina still sells new Z8's but be prepared to
have 250.000 US-Dollar in your pocket when you go shopping in southern
Germany-)

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old October 13th 04, 09:09 PM
DECjr

The paint and rear is the same as
http://rahulcars6.tripod.com/BMW/CarShow%20187.jpg

The car looked very similar to that shown in
http://www.bmwnation.com/IMAGES/ARTI...lpina_z8_l.jpg.
Of course, it had the hard top. The angle I had was lower, and the curves
more pronounced from that angle, but yes, I think that's it. Thanks.

Wonder if I can hit the lottery...

Old October 14th 04, 10:35 AM
Frank Kemper

"DECjr" > haute in die Tasten:

> Of course, it had the hard top.

A BMW Z8 with hard top looks this way:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/abc/BMW...e-1280x960.htm

IIRC the hardtop is included with the car at no extra fee (which seems
okay for a 250.000 Dollar car and the fact that the Mercedes SL does not
need a separate hardtop). AFAIR the R129 Mercedes SL was also delivered
with a free hardtop.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance