PIC: Leaked: The BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe

Old February 15th 14, 03:41 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy[_2_]

Default PIC: Leaked: The BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe

lid (cazza13) wrote:

>I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews on the 4-series. I have
>every confidence that it will be the best yet. This is one sharp
>looking car.

No, it's really not. I saw one in person, the other day. It's
hideous, and I can't believe that BMW needs so many variantions of the
3.

Sedan. Couple. Convertible. Wagon. "Gran Coupe".

Arguably the X1 and X3 as well, although the X1 is based on the E90.

The prices are getting rather stunning, as well. You can spend
$60,000 US on a 328i!

For about the same price, they had a 2012 E90 M3 convertible with only
4,000 miles on it!

Old February 15th 14, 06:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

>Saw one of those 6 Gran Coupes in the wild the other day.
>
>Looks nice, but I dare say it is a bit cramped and difficult to get in and
>out of.

I saw one at the dealer, recently. I couldn't figure it out, a 4-door
6-series. Not the car for me, but undeniably a nice luxury barge.

The prices, though, and the decline of the sportiness, are conspiring
to keep me away from BMW, in the future. My beloved E46 is getting
near the end, and I'm leaning strongly toward the Lexus IS350. If one
is careful with the options, the IS is a damn nice car for under
$45,000. IMO, its as good-as or better-than the 328i in almost every
way, with the one exception being that BMW's turbo 4-banger is
considerably more efficient.

Old February 15th 14, 09:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"dizzy" > wrote in message
> R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>
>>Saw one of those 6 Gran Coupes in the wild the other day.
>>
>>Looks nice, but I dare say it is a bit cramped and difficult to get in and
>>out of.

> I saw one at the dealer, recently. I couldn't figure it out, a 4-door
> 6-series. Not the car for me, but undeniably a nice luxury barge.
>
> The prices, though, and the decline of the sportiness, are conspiring
> to keep me away from BMW, in the future. My beloved E46 is getting
> near the end, and I'm leaning strongly toward the Lexus IS350. If one
> is careful with the options, the IS is a damn nice car for under
> $45,000. IMO, its as good-as or better-than the 328i in almost every
> way, with the one exception being that BMW's turbo 4-banger is
> considerably more efficient.

"decline of sportiness"

Yes BMW's have ABS brakes, so they don't slide when you brake in the wet -
that's why I bought my first 735i in 1985*.
Yes BMW's have DSC so they don't stick the tail out if you give it too much
wellie.
Yes BMW's have 8 speed auto boxes that are far more efficient than and now
out perform the most skilfully changed manual

Exotica (like Aston Martin) aside they still go faster on the straight bits
and round corners than most of the opposition and with a lot less fuss, the
5's and 7s are comfortable too, so me I will stick with BMW's.

* back in 1985 I hired a Pontiac Grand AM in Oregon. It was probably the
worst car I have ever driven (although I have been in worse). A feeble
derated 3 litre injection engine, an appalling 3 speed auto box and handling
so bad that you had to wind down the windows and listen for tyre squeal to
know when to back it off. Still for straight line US roads with a 55mph
limit it is probably all the average American driver needs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac...5.E2.80.931991

Old February 16th 14, 03:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

>"decline of sportiness"
>
>Yes BMW's have ABS brakes, so they don't slide when you brake in the wet -
>that's why I bought my first 735i in 1985*.
>Yes BMW's have DSC so they don't stick the tail out if you give it too much
>wellie.
>Yes BMW's have 8 speed auto boxes that are far more efficient than and now
>out perform the most skilfully changed manual

ZF's 8-speed auto can be found in many cars. The other stuff ancient
history, and the competition has since caught up.

BMW probably does still make the best engines, and they are still
(thank God) primarily rear-wheel drive, but I don't think that they
are out-classing their competition the way that they used to. They
have a lot more competition than they used to. They used to be the
no-brainer choice for sporty yet practical cars, but the new 3 and 5
series are getting hammered, in the reviews.

>Exotica (like Aston Martin) aside they still go faster on the straight bits
>and round corners than most of the opposition and with a lot less fuss, the
>5's and 7s are comfortable too, so me I will stick with BMW's.

I don't know... They are now huge, heavy barges, with huge seats that
allow one to slide-around. I guess they are designed for fat
Americans.

I was (still am, I guess) considering getting a nice CPO E90, but am
thinking "probably not" because the seats suck, unless they are the
M-sport seats.

That, and the rarity of rear-drive (as oppsed to AWD) cars, which is
another thing that ****es me off, but is another story.

If they would build me a brand-new E46, I would buy it today. I think
their new cars are not as good.

Old February 16th 14, 03:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

dizzy > wrote:
>BMW probably does still make the best engines, and they are still
>(thank God) primarily rear-wheel drive, but I don't think that they
>are out-classing their competition the way that they used to. They
>have a lot more competition than they used to. They used to be the
>no-brainer choice for sporty yet practical cars, but the new 3 and 5
>series are getting hammered, in the reviews.

This is true, but I don't see this as a bad thing in any way. The
competition is getting better, but that means everyone has more choice.

I agree that the 3 and 5 series are huge and bloated these days, though,
but that seems to be what the market really wants. It's hard to do huge
and bloated and sporty at the same time although I have to give BMW credit
for doing better than most with the X-series.

>>Exotica (like Aston Martin) aside they still go faster on the straight bits
>>and round corners than most of the opposition and with a lot less fuss, the
>>5's and 7s are comfortable too, so me I will stick with BMW's.

>I don't know... They are now huge, heavy barges, with huge seats that
>allow one to slide-around. I guess they are designed for fat
>Americans.

Have you actually been to Bavaria? They make Americans seem skinny and sober.

>If they would build me a brand-new E46, I would buy it today. I think
>their new cars are not as good.

They are certainly not as interesting. But there's very little market today
for a brand-new E46, and that market is well-supplied by restoration folks.
Call the Werkshop and they will sell you an almost-new E46 for less than an
E90.
--scott