What I want vs. what the reality could support

Old April 8th 11, 11:26 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
Zathras

Default What I want vs. what the reality could support

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 01:55:58 -0700 (PDT), AD > wrote:

>On Apr 7, 7:25*pm, Zathras >
>wrote:
>> On 7 Apr 2011 10:44:24 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>> >You're talking about two totally different cars here.

>> What's different apart from the extra turbo, software tweaks and
>> compulsory auto box? I'd be surprised if a 335D would perform hugely
>> better than my manual car on snow covered roads.
>>

>Wheelspin might be easier to induce on ice in 335d :^)

That's an interesting one - the peak torque figure in a 325d arrives
at a lowly 1300rpm whereas on the 335d it comes in at 1750rpm. The
actual peak torque figures are probably irrelevant on ice but what it
means on my car is that if your foot is on the accelerator/gas pedal
at all then you're most likely putting peak torque out the back axle.

Even in the dry, I need good tyres in good condition to avoid
occasional wheel slip away from junctions even on the factory 255
section Michelins. It would not surprise me if the auto 335d with it's
slipping clutches and bands were to be actually easier to get off the
mark without wheel spin. Comparing to a pals 325d auto, his back tyres
last longer than mine but his car takes off at much higher revs than I
let mine normally do.

>Saw a 335d at a tire shop when switching to summer shoes this morning.
>Not sure if it was an auto or a euro car with a stick though.

IFAIK, they are only available as automatics :-( I'm not old enough
(I tell myself) to want that yet. :-) Even 330d cars with manual are
not super common in the UK. That's why I ended up with a 325d. It's
not so bad though as I still get that magnificent I6 and a manual box
to have the most fun with it.

Old April 11th 11, 09:39 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Apr 8, 1:26*pm, Zathras >
wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 01:55:58 -0700 (PDT), AD > wrote:
> >On Apr 7, 7:25 pm, Zathras >
> >wrote:

> >> What's different apart from the extra turbo, software tweaks and
> >> compulsory auto box? I'd be surprised if a 335D would perform hugely
> >> better than my manual car on snow covered roads.

> >Wheelspin might be easier to induce on ice in 335d :^)

> That's an interesting one - the peak torque figure in a 325d arrives
> at a lowly 1300rpm whereas on the 335d it comes in at 1750rpm. The
> actual peak torque figures are probably irrelevant on ice but what it
> means on my car is that if your foot is on the accelerator/gas pedal
> at all then you're most likely putting peak torque out the back axle.
>
> Even in the dry, I need good tyres in good condition to avoid
> occasional wheel slip away from junctions even on the factory 255
> section Michelins. It would not surprise me if the auto 335d with it's
> slipping clutches and bands were to be actually easier to get off the
> mark without wheel spin. Comparing to a pals 325d auto, his back tyres
> last longer than mine but his car takes off at much higher revs than I
> let mine normally do.

If I were in a market for a car lesser than M3 I would've been
appalled by the lack of a limited slip option on 3xx series.
I think that was not offered since E36
heck, even RX-8 manual has LSD. It's not even an option.
You slash $900 off the auto and mazda graciously puts the money into
the back of a stick shift car.
In my used A4 vs used 3xx decision A4 might not have won as easily
if limited slip diff was present on E46. I guess few cusomers
care enough (or know what a limited slip diff is), hence the chances
of that
surfacing in E90 are slim to none.

> >Saw a 335d at a tire shop when switching to summer shoes this morning.
> >Not sure if it was an auto or a euro car with a stick though.

> IFAIK, they are only available as automatics *:-( *I'm not old enough
> (I tell myself) *to want that yet. :-) *Even 330d cars with manual are
> not super common in the UK. That's why I ended up with a 325d. It's
> not so bad though as I still get that magnificent I6 and a manual box
> to have the most fun with it.

I hear ya. Most of the bmw diesels in here are from their homeland,
where, I assume,
manual IS an option.

I'm in the only country in the world where domestic market cars are
worse than
those exported. Hmm, US of A might be the other of the very few
exceptions.
Old April 11th 11, 09:39 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

Old April 11th 11, 05:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
Zathras

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 01:39:28 -0700 (PDT), AD > wrote:

>If I were in a market for a car lesser than M3 I would've been
>appalled by the lack of a limited slip option on 3xx series.

Indeed. There are two things I would do to improve my 3 series:

1/ Improve the throttle response. I don't know if a remap would
drastically change this.
2/ LSD. Available from a number of suppliers now.

I would do these before getting rid of runflats where the only issue I
can see myself is price (I'm one of the few to use the excellent
Michelins though).

Old April 11th 11, 05:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
Zathras

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 01:39:28 -0700 (PDT), AD > wrote:

>If I were in a market for a car lesser than M3 I would've been
>appalled by the lack of a limited slip option on 3xx series.

Indeed. There are two things I would do to improve my 3 series:

1/ Improve the throttle response. I don't know if a remap would
drastically change this.
2/ LSD. Available from a number of suppliers now.

I would do these before getting rid of runflats where the only issue I
can see myself is price (I'm one of the few to use the excellent
Michelins though).

Reality of success visittosucceed Technology 0 March 15th 09 01:22 PM
Reality Check-In teem[_1_] Saturn 0 September 23rd 06 03:32 AM
Ford GT vs. GT4 (Reality vs. Virtual Reality) [email protected] Simulators 1 October 12th 05 04:13 AM
Reality check Bob Buchanan Corvette 66 September 23rd 04 03:53 PM