Water Leak Passenger Side Interior Under Glove Compartment

Old July 21st 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Gary[_3_]

Default Water Leak Passenger Side Interior Under Glove Compartment

Inside my 1991 Miata, the water literally pours onto the rug on the
passenger side when the A/C is on. I turn off the A/C and no water problem.
Should I assume that the hose has become loose inside and to get it from the
interior?

Also, should I dismantle the glove compartment. I see two screws at the base
of the glove compartment. Is it as easy as just unscrewing those two screws
and once the glove compartment is removed, that I would have easy access to
the hose that is either disconnected or in need of unclogging?

Old July 21st 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Gary wrote:
> Inside my 1991 Miata, the water literally pours onto the rug on the
> passenger side when the A/C is on. I turn off the A/C and no water problem.
> Should I assume that the hose has become loose inside and to get it from the
> interior?

Possibly, but the overflow box is probably clogged where the hose
connects. There will be a short rubber hose running from the plastic box
out through the firewall.

Disconnect this hose at the box, it is only held on by pressure, then
push a screwdriver, coat hanger, or whatever works into the opening to
dislodge the debris.
Get ready for some nasty water to come out and put the hose back on as
quickly as possible. Laying a towel down first is a good idea.

If a lot of water comes out, then that was definitely the problem. The
entire process takes only a few minutes.

> Also, should I dismantle the glove compartment. I see two screws at the base
> of the glove compartment. Is it as easy as just unscrewing those two screws
> and once the glove compartment is removed, that I would have easy access to
> the hose that is either disconnected or in need of unclogging?

No need for any of that. Just pull the carpet back a bit and you will
have access.

Pat
Old July 21st 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

pws wrote:

> Possibly, but the overflow box is probably clogged where the hose
> connects. There will be a short rubber hose running from the plastic box
> out through the firewall.

Actually, that is from the overflow box to the transmission tunnel. The
rubber hose is very short.

Pat
Old July 21st 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Opening things up from the inside will allow the collected water to gush out
on the carpet. It also will break any seal between the firewall and the A/C
box. Clearing the drain hose is a much better idea, and normally solves the
problem.

Old July 21st 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chuck wrote:
> Opening things up from the inside will allow the collected water to gush out
> on the carpet. It also will break any seal between the firewall and the A/C
> box. Clearing the drain hose is a much better idea, and normally solves the
> problem.

True, it is a better way to do it, but that requires getting underneath
the car and using something flexible to run through the curve in the
drain tube.

I like staying out from underneath the car more and more as I get older,
and I've never had a problem with a seal leaking after the drain tube
was removed and replaced.

Pat
Old July 26th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Gary[_3_]

"pws" > wrote in message

> No need for any of that. Just pull the carpet back a bit and you will
> have access.

Hi Pat,

Ok, I found the black rubber drain hose/tube. Unplugged it from the plastic
box and there was no water pouring out. I poked up into the plastic box with
a vinyl probing tube (I did not want to use metal) and no water or debris
could be seen. It looks like the plastic box is debris free!

Next, I pushed a flexible vinyl tube, which has an outside diameter smaller
than the inside diameter of the rubber drain hose, down the length of the
rubber drain hose. I pushed it into the drain hose until I could see the
vinyl tube dangling under the car. I had to straighten out the rubber drain
hose to reduce tension on the vinyl tube while reaming the drain tube, and
that made it easier to push it through. I think it cleaned it, if there was
a problem with dirt in the drain hose.

QUESTION:

If I had this water overflow a few days ago, for the first time ever, but I
could not get water or sludge pouring out when I disconnected the drain tube
from the plastic box, WHERE DID THAT WATER COME FROM?

Is it possible that water poured out from above the plastic box? Also, how
come there are no illustrations, photos, or anything to clue us in on what
the interconnection is with all these A/C parts under the glove box? Its
like working in the dark, you have no idea of what to do next.

Old July 26th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Gary" > wrote:

> QUESTION:
>
> If I had this water overflow a few days ago, for the first time
> ever, but I could not get water or sludge pouring out when I
> disconnected the drain tube from the plastic box, WHERE DID THAT
> WATER COME FROM?

It's possible it drained out if the drain was only partially clogged?

> Is it possible that water poured out from above the plastic box?

Could be but I don't see how?

Old July 26th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> It's possible it drained out if the drain was only partially clogged?

That was my thought, and if so, then it probably will not clog again for
some time.

I would run the A/C and see if it happens again. If it does, try
unclogging it as soon as it starts leaking water and see if there is any
more water in there.
That is the only place for water to leak from regarding the A/C, though
it is possible that the box itself is cracked or otherwise leaking.

I agree, not much room to move around down there. I dread any work
behind the dash. Being skinny helps a bit, but not much. :-)

Pat
Old July 26th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Gary wrote:

> Hi Pat,
>
> Ok, I found the black rubber drain hose/tube. Unplugged it from the plastic
> box and there was no water pouring out. I poked up into the plastic box with
> a vinyl probing tube (I did not want to use metal) and no water or debris
> could be seen. It looks like the plastic box is debris free!

How long had it been since you last used the A/C when you did this?

> Next, I pushed a flexible vinyl tube, which has an outside diameter smaller
> than the inside diameter of the rubber drain hose, down the length of the
> rubber drain hose. I pushed it into the drain hose until I could see the
> vinyl tube dangling under the car. I had to straighten out the rubber drain
> hose to reduce tension on the vinyl tube while reaming the drain tube, and
> that made it easier to push it through. I think it cleaned it, if there was
> a problem with dirt in the drain hose.

That would definitely clear it.

> QUESTION:
>
> If I had this water overflow a few days ago, for the first time ever, but I
> could not get water or sludge pouring out when I disconnected the drain tube
> from the plastic box, WHERE DID THAT WATER COME FROM?

Same thoughts as XS11E, it may have drained slowly.
Are you driving in a humid area? The A/C can produce a lot of
condensation around here, and a partially clogged drain would allow the
box to overfill, even if it emptied the water from the box over time.

> Is it possible that water poured out from above the plastic box? Also, how
> come there are no illustrations, photos, or anything to clue us in on what
> the interconnection is with all these A/C parts under the glove box? Its
> like working in the dark, you have no idea of what to do next.

The miata enthusiast manual and the factory service manuals show this,
but nothing is very easy to get to, and there is wiring EVERYWHERE, lots
of sharp screws to cut yourself on too.
Oh the joy! :-)

Pat
Old July 26th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

pws > wrote:

> I agree, not much room to move around down there. I dread any work
> behind the dash. Being skinny helps a bit, but not much. :-)

Speaking of skinny, I won't say I'm not skinny but I can't even put the
cover back on the fuse box, had to get help.

Heck, it takes me 3 minutes to put the car on to go somewhere and
equally long to take it off when I arrive!