Best weight of oil?

Old March 25th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Best weight of oil?

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>In article >,
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> Synthetics have NO "real world" advantages.

>Well, their smaller, uniformly-sized molecules theoretically offer
>better lubrication. Do we need better lubrication? Nope, not if we keep
>an eye on the dipstick. High-boost turbo cars might be an exception, due
>to heat.

According to redline, their synthetic adds power by reducing friction.

redline oil.com

With the high cost and low yield of Miata power moods, I guess putting
synthetic in the gear box and differential might make some sense.
Especially if you want to stay in C-Stock in autocross.

Putting synthetic into the engine does not seem to make much financial
sense from that perspective, I would think.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old March 25th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E > wrote:

>Start with Ford, GM and Chrysler, all are using synthetics in their
>cars, all have not extended the change interval.

>Yup. Synthetics have NO "real world" advantages.

That brings up the question: who is crazy:

(a) you;
(b) Ford, GM, and Chrysler;
(c) all of the above.

Hard to answer, but based on recent history, the insanity of Ford,
GM, and Chrysler is self-evident. Do you drive a white Miata?

Old March 26th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Synthetics have stable shear values and tend to thicken less as they
age. Synthetics are also less likely to form sludge or to cook and
form varnish and coke in high heat.

Sludge tends to form if you neglect to make oil changes in a timely
manner. The varnish and coke problem occurs at hot spots in certain
engines, particularly the impeller side bearings in a turbo. Shutting
down the engine after a high rpm run without a cooldown period for the
turbo, for example, can lead to failure of the turbo.

However, if your owner's manual does not call for a synthetic oil, you
don't need it,

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:02:23 GMT, Lanny Chambers

Old March 26th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

<opinions, hogwash and unsupported "data" snipped>

my claims originate directly from my experience, and were presented as such.
you obviously believe otherwise, and are certainly entitled to. however, i
fail to see what makes your word anything other than what i am accused of.

because the manufacturer says so? please. i'm sure i don't need to point
out that manufacturer's recommendations are certainly influenced by their
legal departments as well as their engineers. you probably shouldn't
believe everything you're told.

$0.02,

dookie

Old March 28th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I have seen worse. I once changed the oil in a freinds car. I undid the
sump plug, and nothing came out! Turns out there was so much gunk in there
it had sealed the hole. I managed to poke a screwdriver in & out it come.