Toll Road operators buy newspapers

Old January 26th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default Toll Road operators buy newspapers

I've been told by a few people in this group that there is nothing
underhanded going on in Texas with regards to the toll road plans where
by many new roads and some existing ones would be controlled by foreign
corporations. That there is nothing wrong with taking people's land for
such projects.

Well, obviously there is something wrong when that same foreign
corporation buys up newspapers to control the information flow to the
people.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/15/1570.asp

Toll Road Giant Buys Newspapers to Silence Critics
Critics charge that the Macquarie purchase of American Consolidated Media
is designed to silence critics of a Texas toll road project.

Australian toll road giant Macquarie agreed Wednesday to purchase forty
local newspapers, primarily in Texas and Oklahoma, for $80 million.
Macquarie Bank is Australia's largest capital raising firm and has
invested billions in purchasing roads in the US, Canada and UK. Most
recently the company joined with Cintra Concesiones of Spain in a
controversial 75-year lease of the 157-mile Indiana Toll Road.

Sal Costello, the leading opponent of toll road projects as head of the
Texas Toll Party, says the move is directly related to a 4000-mile toll
road project known as the Trans-Texas Corridor. It will cost between $145
and $183 billion to construct the road, expected to be up to 1200 feet
wide, requiring the acquisition of 9000 square miles of land in the areas
through which it will pass.

"The newspapers are the main communication tool for many of the rural
Texan communities, with many citizens at risk of losing their homes and
farms through eminent domain," Costello wrote.

Many of the small papers purchased, most have a circulation of 5000 or
less, have been critical of the Trans-Texas Corridor. An article in the
Bonham Journal for example, states, "The toll roads will be under control
of foreign investors, which more than frustrates Texans."

also see:
http://bonhamjournal.com/main.asp?Se...c tionID=&S=1

Old January 26th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

Brent P wrote:

> I've been told by a few people in this group that there is nothing
> underhanded going on in Texas with regards to the toll road plans where
> by many new roads and some existing ones would be controlled by foreign
> corporations. That there is nothing wrong with taking people's land for
> such projects.
>
> Well, obviously there is something wrong when that same foreign
> corporation buys up newspapers to control the information flow to the
> people.

You're hilarious !

Graham

Old January 26th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
C. E. White

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..

> I've been told by a few people in this group that there is nothing
> underhanded going on in Texas with regards to the toll road plans where
> by many new roads and some existing ones would be controlled by foreign
> corporations. That there is nothing wrong with taking people's land for
> such projects

Any mention of toll roads really burns me up. Until now North Carolina has
been a toll road free state. However in recent years the state legislature
has been diverting fuel tax money to other uses. Now the politicians are
claiming there is not enough money available to maintain and expand the road
system. The politician's solution is to authorize the construction of toll
roads. This disgusts be greatly. I've had to deal with toll roads in other
states and I hate them. I personally will not vote for any politician that
supports toll roads. I have no idea why there is so much opposition to a
moderate tax increase. A $0.05 a gallon increase would be completely
transparent given the recent rapid swings in gasoline prices.

Ed

Old January 26th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Eeyore said in
rec.autos.driving:

> Brent P wrote:
>
> > I've been told by a few people in this group that there is nothing
> > underhanded going on in Texas with regards to the toll road plans where
> > by many new roads and some existing ones would be controlled by foreign
> > corporations. That there is nothing wrong with taking people's land for
> > such projects.
> >
> > Well, obviously there is something wrong when that same foreign
> > corporation buys up newspapers to control the information flow to the
> > people.

> You're hilarious !

What's so hilarious, Graham?

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to
purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve
neither Liberty nor Safety."
--Benjamin Franklin
Old January 26th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article k.net>, C. E. White wrote:

> Any mention of toll roads really burns me up. Until now North Carolina has
> been a toll road free state. However in recent years the state legislature
> has been diverting fuel tax money to other uses. Now the politicians are
> claiming there is not enough money available to maintain and expand the road
> system. The politician's solution is to authorize the construction of toll
> roads. This disgusts be greatly. I've had to deal with toll roads in other
> states and I hate them. I personally will not vote for any politician that
> supports toll roads. I have no idea why there is so much opposition to a
> moderate tax increase. A $0.05 a gallon increase would be completely
> transparent given the recent rapid swings in gasoline prices.

That's pretty typical. Divert funds away from the purposes people want
and are willing to pay for to other things that people aren't willing to
pay for _and_ investments. Then when there isn't enough money for the
things people want, force a tax increase.

Check out comprehensive annual financial reports of government agencies.
The budget is just that, a budget. It says we are spending X on Y. Now
the financial reports actually go into the assets and investments. Often
times government has far more money and resources than it lets on. This
was discovered with TxDOT and just to verify that this sort of thing is
happening I checked out a very small chicago south suburban government
entity and found they had considerable investments and cash along with
the mechanical assets that were required to do what they were supposed to
do.

Old January 26th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

necromancer wrote:

> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Eeyore said in
> rec.autos.driving:
> > Brent P wrote:
> >
> > > I've been told by a few people in this group that there is nothing
> > > underhanded going on in Texas with regards to the toll road plans where
> > > by many new roads and some existing ones would be controlled by foreign
> > > corporations. That there is nothing wrong with taking people's land for
> > > such projects.
> > >
> > > Well, obviously there is something wrong when that same foreign
> > > corporation buys up newspapers to control the information flow to the
> > > people.

> > You're hilarious !

> What's so hilarious, Graham?

The idea that's there's anything wrong with foreign companies owning things in
the USA. The other thing being the idea that owning *one* newspaper can
*control* the 'information flow'. Brent's quite loopy over such issues.

I assume you guys reckon it's OK for US companies to own businesses overseas btw
?

Graham

Old January 27th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Eeyore said in
rec.autos.driving:

> necromancer wrote:
>
> > Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Eeyore said in
> > rec.autos.driving:

> > > You're hilarious !

> > What's so hilarious, Graham?

> The idea that's there's anything wrong with foreign companies owning things in
> the USA. The other thing being the idea that owning *one* newspaper can
> *control* the 'information flow'. Brent's quite loopy over such issues.

wants to purchase, American Consolidated Media, isn't about one
newspaper, its about *40* newspapers (ref: http://tinyurl.com/2d83g6)
that <big coincidence> are mainly along the route that they want their
toll road to follow and there is bitter opposition to the confiscation
of people's homes/land for this project. </big coincidence>

Just curious, what do you think the reaction in the UK would be if a
consortium of foreign investors wanted to build a highway into the heart
of your nation with no customs control untill it was 50% of the way into
your country? And they wanted to displace many of your neighbors in the
process?

> I assume you guys reckon it's OK for US companies to own businesses overseas btw
> ?

Personally, I don't care for it.

Old January 27th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

necromancer wrote:

> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Eeyore said in
> rec.autos.driving:
> > necromancer wrote:
> > > Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Eeyore said in
> > > rec.autos.driving:

> > > What's so hilarious, Graham?

> > The idea that's there's anything wrong with foreign companies owning things in
> > the USA. The other thing being the idea that owning *one* newspaper can
> > *control* the 'information flow'. Brent's quite loopy over such issues.

> wants to purchase, American Consolidated Media, isn't about one
> newspaper, its about *40* newspapers (ref: http://tinyurl.com/2d83g6)

So it's a newspaper group. 40 local papers, no big deal.

> that <big coincidence> are mainly along the route that they want their
> toll road to follow and there is bitter opposition to the confiscation
> of people's homes/land for this project. </big coincidence>

Confiscation ? I don't believe that.

> Just curious, what do you think the reaction in the UK would be if a
> consortium of foreign investors wanted to build a highway into the heart
> of your nation with no customs control untill it was 50% of the way into
> your country?

I think we'd be delighted to have an extra way of crossing the English Channel !

Would you care to be more serious ? It's not as if this road you're talking about is
running to/from a foreign country either.

I reckon most ppl would be quite pleased to see a new highway actually. The damn
governments ( of left or right ) here seem to have all but given up on building new
roads.

> And they wanted to displace many of your neighbors in the
> process?

Any such scheme would have to go through the normal planning process.

> > I assume you guys reckon it's OK for US companies to own businesses overseas btw
> > ?

> Personally, I don't care for it.

Why's that ?

Graham

Old January 27th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Eeyore said in
rec.autos.driving:

<< snip >>

> > wants to purchase, American Consolidated Media, isn't about one
> > newspaper, its about *40* newspapers (ref: http://tinyurl.com/2d83g6)

> So it's a newspaper group. 40 local papers, no big deal.

Supoose that microsoft wanted to buy the london times to squelch talk
about / opposition to linux (which, IIRC originated in europe)?

> > that <big coincidence> are mainly along the route that they want their
> > toll road to follow and there is bitter opposition to the confiscation
> > of people's homes/land for this project. </big coincidence>

> Confiscation ? I don't believe that.

May as well be. They (with the cooperation of their stooges in
state/local government and emminent domain) will run the people off
their land, throw them a peanut or two in compensation and say "let them
eat cake," if they don't like it.

> > Just curious, what do you think the reaction in the UK would be if a
> > consortium of foreign investors wanted to build a highway into the heart
> > of your nation with no customs control untill it was 50% of the way into
> > your country?

> I think we'd be delighted to have an extra way of crossing the English Channel !
>
> Would you care to be more serious ? It's not as if this road you're talking about is
> running to/from a foreign country either.

You think Mexico (the road's southern terminus is at or near the Mexican
border) is a part of the USA? Don't go to Baja California (or any other
part of Mexico) and say that infront of a Federalie if you know what's
good for you.

> I reckon most ppl would be quite pleased to see a new highway actually. The damn
> governments ( of left or right ) here seem to have all but given up on building new
> roads.

In most circumatances, people would. This isn't one of them.

> > And they wanted to displace many of your neighbors in the
> > process?

> Any such scheme would have to go through the normal planning process.

I've yet to hear of such a thing occuring in this case.

> > > I assume you guys reckon it's OK for US companies to own businesses overseas btw
> > > ?

> > Personally, I don't care for it.

> Why's that ?

Because I believe in the soverignty of all nations and cultures, not
just the US and I oppose our imposing our way on other nations be it by
monkey boi invading countries (ala Iraq) or by four eyes gates and the
walton family. In other words, we (americans) should keep out culture
(and our products and inovations) to ourselves.

--
necromancer

Deadpy Psychopath. And Proud of it, Man!!
Old January 28th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article t>, necromancer wrote:

> You think Mexico (the road's southern terminus is at or near the Mexican
> border) is a part of the USA? Don't go to Baja California (or any other
> part of Mexico) and say that infront of a Federalie if you know what's
> good for you.

It gets even better. If you read deeper into the plans, the profits from
the tolls are to be used to build out the road system into mexico. That's
right, US taxpayers, paying for the roads in taxes and tolls will have
some of those funds diverted to build infastructure in Mexico.