Problem with 93 Accord

Old February 21st 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Problem with 93 Accord

I have a problem with my 93 Accord 10th Anniv. Edition. It has 130k miles
on it, spotless maintenance record. Tonight on my way home from work, the
car began to shake badly, but settled down once I was on the highway. When
I got off the highway onto the exit ramp, the shaking began again really
badly, moving in a front and back motion almost. It settled down again,
but anytime I slow the car down to stop or turn, the shaking begins again.
Anyone know what could be the cause of this, and what I can do to fix it
quick and in a hurry? Thanks in advance.

Old February 21st 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Does the engine run normal when it shakes? You're not losing power or
anything?
If you stand still and rev the engine, does the car shake?

There are many things that could cause shaking, but the simplest to
check would be tires tires (if it only happens while rolling): One of
the tires may have lost a weight.
If it shakes while standing still and revving, check the motor mounts.

Remco

Old February 21st 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

No loss of power, can drive normally once back up to speed, just when I am
slowing down to stop or turn.

Old February 21st 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

chefkojak wrote:
> No loss of power, can drive normally once back up to speed, just when I am
> slowing down to stop or turn.

See if you can determine wheter it is coming from the tires or
elsewhere. You could do this by process of elimination:

Inspect your ties for bulges or damage. If you don't see any, swap the
tires back to front and see if it changes. It could be that a weight
fell off or something is wrong with your tires.

If could also be a mechanical issue like a CV joint, engine mount, etc
- if you swap your tires and the problem does not move or change, the
problem is most likely mechanical in nature.

Report back so it can help others here with future problems.
Remco

Old February 21st 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Old February 22nd 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

As I attempted to drive the vehicle again, I noticed that the shaking does
occur when the vehicle is not in motion. The general consensus amongst
friends, coworkers, and family (many of whom are what I call
"quasi-mechanics") is that is either the motor mount, or the tie rod. So,
to be on the safe side, my buddy and I are going to change both on
Thursday.
Thanks again for the help, Remco, I appreciate it. Let you all know how it
goes and if that is truly the problem after we change both.

Old February 22nd 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"chefkojak" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> As I attempted to drive the vehicle again, I noticed that the shaking
> does occur when the vehicle is not in motion. The general consensus
> amongst friends, coworkers, and family (many of whom are what I call
> "quasi-mechanics") is that is either the motor mount, or the tie rod.
> So, to be on the safe side, my buddy and I are going to change both on
> Thursday.
> Thanks again for the help, Remco, I appreciate it. Let you all know
> how it goes and if that is truly the problem after we change both.

The tie rod? If you're sitting there still and the car's shaking, the tie
rod isn't even moving. It's part of the steering. Sounds to me like you
have classic "rough idle". There's a procedure in the manual for diagnosing
this. I'd be looking at cleaning the induction system and maybe some fuel
injection cleaner. Then if that has no affect, I'd look at the ignition
system, wires plugs and the like.

It might be the motor mount too but, on most Honda's they're easily
inspected. The one I'd suspect if the engine rocks fore and aft is the one
from the tranny to the rear crossmember. That one's a bitch to change, at
least on an integra and civic, I haven't done one on an accord.
Old February 22nd 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Dufus Systems wrote:
> "chefkojak" > wrote in
> lkaboutautos.com:
>
> > As I attempted to drive the vehicle again, I noticed that the shaking
> > does occur when the vehicle is not in motion. The general consensus
> > amongst friends, coworkers, and family (many of whom are what I call
> > "quasi-mechanics") is that is either the motor mount, or the tie rod.
> > So, to be on the safe side, my buddy and I are going to change both on
> > Thursday.
> > Thanks again for the help, Remco, I appreciate it. Let you all know
> > how it goes and if that is truly the problem after we change both.
> >

> The tie rod? If you're sitting there still and the car's shaking, the tie
> rod isn't even moving. It's part of the steering. Sounds to me like you
> have classic "rough idle". There's a procedure in the manual for diagnosing
> this. I'd be looking at cleaning the induction system and maybe some fuel
> injection cleaner. Then if that has no affect, I'd look at the ignition
> system, wires plugs and the like.
>
> It might be the motor mount too but, on most Honda's they're easily
> inspected. The one I'd suspect if the engine rocks fore and aft is the one
> from the tranny to the rear crossmember. That one's a bitch to change, at
> least on an integra and civic, I haven't done one on an accord.

Yup, listen to Dufus - he clearly knows his stuff. Your name is clearly
a misnomer, Dufus

If it is happening while standing still, it might be the motor mount or
the way the car is running. Motor mount problems often show themselves
when you rev the engine, not so much when it is idling.
Does it idle badly? You can often feel it by putting your hand on the
exhaust outlet - don't touch it, but you'll be able to feel if the car
is missing or is running irregularly.
If it runs badly, clearly check ignition, timing and fuel delivery.
Also see if you have a vacuum leak. Spritz a little starting fluid
around vacuum hoses and see if the sound of the engine changes or RPM
picks up temporarily. If it does, inspect the vicinity of where you
spritzed as you'll most likely have a vacuum leak there.
Check www.tegger.com for general things to check for.

I would not bother replacing a tie rod unless you are having a
different problem steering. It would most likely not be related to your
problem.

Good luck. Do report back with your findings as it may help someone
else out.

Remco

Old February 22nd 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Remco" > wrote in
oups.com:

> your problem.
>
> Good luck. Do report back with your findings as it may help someone
> else out.
>
> Remco

One time, I was at the race track, and hit second instead of 4th at 90
MPH. Tach pegged at 10K RPM before I punched the clutch back in. I ran
around the track for another 5 minutes with my fingers crossed hoping I
hadn't damaged anything. Parked it. When it was time for the next
session, I started it up and then shut it right down. Was vibrating like
hell. I had both broken that rear motor mount AND bent a couple valves.
Good thing it was a honda motor though. I was able to limp it 5 hours
home. It would smooth out at 3500 RPM so, it didn't feel that bad. Ended
up costing me $1500 to fix.

chefkojak, you never miss shifted did you? It's fairly common to mis-
shift a honda if you're playing boy racer. Bend a valve by over-revving
and you'll have to get the head re-built.

Old February 25th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

It's an automatic, and I drive like an old woman since my accident 3 years
ago. *laughs*

Turns out it was a stupid problem I should have taken care of myself. My
fuel injection system was dirty, and (not sure how this happened) but one
of my spark plugs was fouled. Got it cleaned and changed the plugs, runs
just fine.