Ways to save gas

Old December 8th 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Ways to save gas

Mopeds,scooters,and motorcycles.

Old December 8th 05, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,talk.politics.misc

Default Best Way to Save Gas

"US 71" > wrote in message
. net...

> "Squattingdawg" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> Stay Home, or walk

> Or Bicycle

Segway perhaps?

Old December 8th 05, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,talk.politics.misc

>> Or Bicycle

> Segway perhaps?

I remember when that first was introduced, all the major news networks were
playing it up like it was the best invention since the horseless carriage.
Funny that in the years since then, I haven't seen even ONE of them in use,
anywhere in the United States. -Dave

Old December 8th 05, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,talk.politics.misc

"Mike T." > wrote:

> < on Segways >
>
> I remember when that first was introduced, all the major news networks
> were playing it up like it was the best invention since the horseless
> carriage. Funny that in the years since then, I haven't seen even ONE
> of them in use, anywhere in the United States. -Dave

I hadn't seen one either, up to a couple of weeks ago when I saw one
running down the sidewalk in Pentagon City, VA.

Maybe this was the one:

http://www.wvec.com/sharedcontent/AP...D8DVLEP80.html

Some cities and businesses have banned them outright.

http://www.knoxstudio.com/shns/story...2-06-05&cat=AN

Old December 8th 05, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,talk.politics.misc

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:29:12 -0500, in misc.transport.road
"Mike T." > wrote in
ews.net>:

>>> Or Bicycle

>> Segway perhaps?
>>

>I remember when that first was introduced, all the major news networks were
>playing it up like it was the best invention since the horseless carriage.
>Funny that in the years since then, I haven't seen even ONE of them in use,
>anywhere in the United States. -Dave

You can get tours of the Loop riding them.
Old December 8th 05, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,talk.politics.misc

Sherman L. Cahal wrote:
> Mark wrote:
> > actually the governement could do a better job timing the traffic
> > signals so we don't have to stop and go and our cars would get closer
> > to the highway mileage instead of the city mileage...
> >
> > Mark

> IIRC, isn't the figure for the increase in gas efficiency, if our
> traffic lights were better coordinated, around 40%?\

Thats why govts. are spending big bucks to upgrade signal systems.
Take Cary NC for example. They just finished an upgrade of their
system, which has maybe 60 or 70 signals or something like that, and it
cost several million dollars. Older signals do not have the
capeability to "talk" to other signals next to it, which is an integral
part of signal coordination. Thus, the controllers and signals must be
upgraded. Communications cable must be routed to connect the system,
or wireless communication equipment must be used. And of course all of
this has to be designed first. And implemented, and tested, and
someone has to spend time figuring out timing plans, etc.

Now, let me tell you, driving through Cary is noticibly better ever
since they turned on some of the corridors. Most of the time, you just
don't stop at signals, because they are green when the platoon of cars
arrives. Some lights are "planned stops", meaning the light is
purposely made to be red when the vehicles start arriving, in order to
get the vehicles to bunch up and form a platoon (usually planned stops
are after a long gap between signals), but the signal will only stay
red long enough to collect a platoon and then it turns green shortly
thereafter. The only downside is that if you are on a side street, you
often don't get "immediate service" like you used to.

My point is that coordinated signal systems are great, but they are
expensive.

Old December 8th 05, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,talk.politics.misc

"Mike T." > wrote in
reenews.net:

>>> Or Bicycle

>> Segway perhaps?
>>

> I remember when that first was introduced, all the major news networks
> were playing it up like it was the best invention since the horseless
> carriage. Funny that in the years since then, I haven't seen even ONE
> of them in use, anywhere in the United States. -Dave

There is a guy that works for the local utility company, his job is to
inspect and inventory utility poles. He uses a Segway. to get around.
Ideal application actually.

Doug
BTW, I also spotted a Delorian in Quakertown, PA.

Old December 8th 05, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,talk.politics.misc

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:29:12 -0500, "Mike T." >
wrote:

>I remember when that first was introduced, all the major news networks were
>playing it up like it was the best invention since the horseless carriage.
>Funny that in the years since then, I haven't seen even ONE of them in use,
>anywhere in the United States. -Dave

I did, in a small town parade in Illinois, the cops were using them
for "patrols". Not the kind that Jaybird talks about...
Old December 8th 05, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,talk.politics.misc

On 8 Dec 2005 15:08:49 -0800, "Mike Tantillo" >
wrote:

>My point is that coordinated signal systems are great, but they are
>expensive.

But they aren't expensive. The TCO is actually much lower due to the
savings in fuel and wear and tear on vehicles.
Old December 9th 05, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,talk.politics.misc

James Robinson wrote:
> "Mike T." > wrote:
> >
> > < on Segways >
> >
> > I remember when that first was introduced, all the major news networks
> > were playing it up like it was the best invention since the horseless
> > carriage. Funny that in the years since then, I haven't seen even ONE
> > of them in use, anywhere in the United States. -Dave

> I hadn't seen one either, up to a couple of weeks ago when I saw one
> running down the sidewalk in Pentagon City, VA.
>
> Maybe this was the one:
>
> http://www.wvec.com/sharedcontent/AP...D8DVLEP80.html
>
> Some cities and businesses have banned them outright.
>
> http://www.knoxstudio.com/shns/story...2-06-05&cat=AN

Over the summer, when I was still living in the DC Area, I came across
a tour company on the Mall by the U.S. Capitol building that actually
performed the whole tour with Segways (both the guide and the people
touring).