Door locking mechanism

Old October 15th 05, 03:19 PM
Eric Baber

Default Door locking mechanism

Hi all,

A year or more ago someone tried, very ineffectually, to pick the driver's
side lock. (S)he didn't get in, and apart from a cosmetic scratch to the
outside of the lock, there seemed to be no damage so I ignored it. Whether
this is related to my current problem I don't know but I thought I'd mention
it.

Over the past week or two I've noticed the door doesn't always unlock
properly - I turn the key and it feels like the door unlocks, but when I try
to open it using the handle, it won't open. If I turn the key to lock it,
then again to unlock it, that solves the problem and the door opens - until
last night.

I tried the same last night, but the door wouldn't open. I tried the
lock/unlock routine a few times but with no luck. I opened the passenger
side and got in, then unlocked the driver's door from the inside and tried
to open it - but no luck. It therefore seems that while it feels like the
door locking mechanism is unlocked properly (whether unlocking it from the
outside or the inside), something is still locked.

Now, the problem is that because I can't open the door, I can't unscrew the
door panel to look at the locking mechanism. So, two questions. a) Any idea
what the problem might be (and whether it's likely to be a result of the
attempted break-in a year or more ago), and b) any idea of how to get at the
mechanism since I can't open the door?!

Thanks

Eric

Old October 15th 05, 03:39 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Eric Baber" > wrote:

> any idea of how to get at the
> mechanism since I can't open the door?

Hire a locksmith with a slim jim.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old October 15th 05, 05:28 PM
Dana H. Myers

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> "Eric Baber" > wrote:
>

>>any idea of how to get at the
>>mechanism since I can't open the door?

> Hire a locksmith with a slim jim.

You might also try calling the local police dept for a
"lockout" assist, though you'll need to show you're the
registered owner of the car afterwards.

Dana
Old October 15th 05, 11:47 PM
Red

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:28:47 GMT, "Dana H. Myers" >
wrote in :

> Lanny Chambers wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "Eric Baber" > wrote:
>>
>>>any idea of how to get at the
>>>mechanism since I can't open the door?

>> Hire a locksmith with a slim jim.

> You might also try calling the local police dept for a
> "lockout" assist, though you'll need to show you're the
> registered owner of the car afterwards.

Hook your fingers over the top of the window
or press your sticky hands on the window and
and pull down slowly. Works for me on any car that
doesn't have power windows.

Old October 16th 05, 12:08 AM
XS11E

Red > wrote in:

> Hook your fingers over the top of the window
> or press your sticky hands on the window and
> and pull down slowly. Works for me on any car that
> doesn't have power windows.

??? How will that gain him access to the door latch mechanism???

Old October 16th 05, 12:30 AM
Dana H. Myers

XS11E wrote:
> Red > wrote in:
>

>>Hook your fingers over the top of the window
>>or press your sticky hands on the window and
>>and pull down slowly. Works for me on any car that
>>doesn't have power windows.

> ??? How will that gain him access to the door latch mechanism???

The original post contained:

> Now, the problem is that because I can't open the door, I can't unscrew the
> door panel to look at the locking mechanism. So, two questions. a) Any idea
> what the problem might be (and whether it's likely to be a result of the
> attempted break-in a year or more ago), and b) any idea of how to get at the
> mechanism since I can't open the door?!

The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

;-)

Dana
Old October 16th 05, 12:43 AM
XS11E

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in:

> XS11E wrote:
>> Red > wrote in:
>>

>>>Hook your fingers over the top of the window
>>>or press your sticky hands on the window and
>>>and pull down slowly. Works for me on any car that doesn't have power
>>>windows.

>> ??? How will that gain him access to the door latch mechanism???

> The original post contained:
>
>> Now, the problem is that because I can't open the door, I can't unscrew
>> the door panel to look at the locking mechanism. So, two questions. a)
>> Any idea what the problem might be (and whether it's likely to be a
>> result of the attempted break-in a year or more ago), and b) any idea
>> of how to get at the mechanism since I can't open the door?!

The original post also contained:

"I opened the passenger side and got in, then unlocked the driver's door
from the inside and tried to open it - but no luck."

His problem isn't getting into the car, it's getting the drivers door open so
he can remove the door panel. Which is why I asked how will your suggestion
gain him access to the door latch mechanism?

Old October 16th 05, 12:53 AM
Dana H. Myers

XS11E wrote:
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote in:
>

>>XS11E wrote:

>>>??? How will that gain him access to the door latch mechanism???

>>The original post contained:
>>

>>>Now, the problem is that because I can't open the door, I can't unscrew
>>>the door panel to look at the locking mechanism. So, two questions. a)
>>>Any idea what the problem might be (and whether it's likely to be a
>>>result of the attempted break-in a year or more ago), and b) any idea
>>>of how to get at the mechanism since I can't open the door?!

> The original post also contained:
>
> "I opened the passenger side and got in, then unlocked the driver's door
> from the inside and tried to open it - but no luck."
>
> His problem isn't getting into the car, it's getting the drivers door open so
> he can remove the door panel. Which is why I asked how will your suggestion
> gain him access to the door latch mechanism?

You're right, my mistake. But *my* suggestion was to call the local
police for a free slim-jim, which will open the door, same as Lanny's
suggestion to call a locksmith :-)

My apologies -

Dana
Old October 16th 05, 01:12 AM
XS11E

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in:

>> His problem isn't getting into the car, it's getting the drivers door
>> open so he can remove the door panel. Which is why I asked how will
>> your suggestion gain him access to the door latch mechanism?

> You're right, my mistake. But *my* suggestion was to call the local
> police for a free slim-jim, which will open the door, same as Lanny's
> suggestion to call a locksmith :-)

Hey, he's probably got the top down! Think how embarrassing it would be if
he called a locksmith? <G>

Anyway.... so far we've not been able to be very helpful to the OP. I wonder
if a slim-jim could be used to open the latch? I guess it depends on exactly
where the problem might be.

Old October 16th 05, 03:14 AM
Mr Q

I'm not sure what model you've got but if it's an NA you CAN remove the
trim (carefully) with the door closed.

I had something similar happen with mine - not a break in attempt, but
the symptom was the same. It ended up being a small spring on the
locking mechanism which had broken. Cost about 40 cents for the spring
and $20 for the mechanic (who had seen it happen before).

Mr Q