Not shifting

Old September 29th 05, 04:49 PM
Andy Kennedy

Default Not shifting

I know this is a miata group, but hope someone can help.

I am having problems shifting in my car.

1994 Mazda Protege 194,000 miles 1.8 Liter Manual
Transmission

It runs fine when I can get it into gear. (No slippage)
When I push down on the clutch the pressure doesn't feel
right.

My Chilton Manual doesn't have any diagnostics but it did
have sections showing replacement of the master clutch
cylinder
and clutch release(slave) cylinder.

Thanks for any input.
Old September 29th 05, 08:18 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article <433cc3a5.6c4.41@news2>, "Andy Kennedy" wrote:

> It runs fine when I can get it into gear. (No slippage)
> When I push down on the clutch the pressure doesn't feel
> right.

Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder reservoir. If it's
low (possibly VERY low), peel back the rubber boot from the slave
cylinder; if there's fluid in there, rebuild or replace the clutch slave
cylinder.

This is very common in Miatas and cheap to fix. A rebuild kit is under
$10 and easy to install. A new Miata slave cylinder is around $60.

To lengthen the service life of the slave cylinder, flush the system
every year or two.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 29th 05, 08:40 PM
Andy Kennedy

> In article <433cc3a5.6c4.41@news2>, "Andy Kennedy" wrote:
>
> > It runs fine when I can get it into gear. (No slippage)
> > When I push down on the clutch the pressure doesn't feel
> > right.

> Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder
> reservoir. If it's low (possibly VERY low), peel back the
> rubber boot from the slave cylinder; if there's fluid in
> there, rebuild or replace the clutch slave cylinder.
>
> This is very common in Miatas and cheap to fix. A rebuild
> kit is under $10 and easy to install. A new Miata slave
> cylinder is around $60.
> To lengthen the service life of the slave cylinder, flush
> the system every year or two.
>t.html

Thanks.

My car has a line going from the master brake cylinder to
the clutch master cylinder and then it goes to the slave
cylinder. I suppose the clutch cylinder and/or slave
cylinder may need rebuilding or replacement. The brake
fluid level is fine.
Old September 30th 05, 01:02 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Andy Kennedy" wrote:

>> In article <433cc3a5.6c4.41@news2>, "Andy Kennedy" wrote:
>>
>> > It runs fine when I can get it into gear. (No slippage)
>> > When I push down on the clutch the pressure doesn't feel
>> > right.

>> Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder
>> reservoir. If it's low (possibly VERY low), peel back the
>> rubber boot from the slave cylinder; if there's fluid in
>> there, rebuild or replace the clutch slave cylinder.
>>
>> This is very common in Miatas and cheap to fix. A rebuild
>> kit is under $10 and easy to install. A new Miata slave
>> cylinder is around $60.
>> To lengthen the service life of the slave cylinder, flush
>> the system every year or two.
>>t.html

>Thanks.
>
>My car has a line going from the master brake cylinder to
>the clutch master cylinder and then it goes to the slave
>cylinder. I suppose the clutch cylinder and/or slave
>cylinder may need rebuilding or replacement. The brake
>fluid level is fine.

I don't understand. You are saying the brake and clutch use the
same fluid? Is that even possible? I cannot imagine how.

The Miata and all other cars I know have separate hydraulics.
On the Miata, the reservoir for topping up the clutch fluid
tends to get a black wall where the fluid used to be. The only way
to check the fluid level confidently is to take off the cap and
look inside.

For some reason this does not happen to the brake fluid reservoir.
I assume the reason is fear of law suits.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 30th 05, 08:34 AM
alex

yes the clutch and brake fluid share the same resevoir on the proteges. if
no fluid leaks suspect warn clutch try bleeding the lines to the slave
cylinder that would be my first step.

Old October 3rd 05, 07:12 PM
Andy Kennedy

> yes the clutch and brake fluid share the same resevoir on
> the proteges. if no fluid leaks suspect warn clutch try
> bleeding the lines to the slave cylinder that would be my

Replacing the clutch master and slave cylinder solved the
problem.

Bleeding the lines took longer than expected. Though there
was no more bubbles present, the clutch pedal "stiffness"
wasn't like before.

I decided to drive the car and it shifted fine and the
pressure returned.
I think it needed the work of the booster which required the
car being
on.
Old October 8th 05, 03:03 AM
Gary

What did that cost you, parts and labor?