97 wrangler temp gauge problems

Old June 23rd 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bspear78

Default 97 wrangler temp gauge problems

Had a question. Every time I drive my Wrangler after about 5-10 min.
the temp gauge goes all the way up to the red, then comes back down to
normal, even below halfway on the gauge. Then it stays there. Does
this sound like a thermostat issue? Gauge issue? Thanks

97 TJ
Old June 23rd 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:37:40 -0700 (PDT), bspear78
> wrote:

>Had a question. Every time I drive my Wrangler after about 5-10 min.
>the temp gauge goes all the way up to the red, then comes back down to
>normal, even below halfway on the gauge. Then it stays there. Does
>this sound like a thermostat issue? Gauge issue? Thanks
>
>97 TJ

Thermostat problem, with a possible entrapped air problem to go with
it. Bleed the system, if the problem still exists, consider replacing
the thermostat.
Old June 23rd 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dale Beckett[_4_]

PeterD wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:37:40 -0700 (PDT), bspear78
> > wrote:
>
>> Had a question. Every time I drive my Wrangler after about 5-10 min.
>> the temp gauge goes all the way up to the red, then comes back down to
>> normal, even below halfway on the gauge. Then it stays there. Does
>> this sound like a thermostat issue? Gauge issue? Thanks
>>
>> 97 TJ

> Thermostat problem, with a possible entrapped air problem to go with
> it. Bleed the system, if the problem still exists, consider replacing
> the thermostat.

Replacing the thermostat is so easy, I'd go with that first. It sounds as
if it's sticking closed, then pops open.

--
Dale Beckett
Old June 24th 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_30_]

"Dale Beckett" > wrote in message
m...
> PeterD wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:37:40 -0700 (PDT), bspear78
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Had a question. Every time I drive my Wrangler after about 5-10 min.
>>> the temp gauge goes all the way up to the red, then comes back down to
>>> normal, even below halfway on the gauge. Then it stays there. Does
>>> this sound like a thermostat issue? Gauge issue? Thanks
>>>
>>> 97 TJ

>> Thermostat problem, with a possible entrapped air problem to go with
>> it. Bleed the system, if the problem still exists, consider replacing
>> the thermostat.

> Replacing the thermostat is so easy, I'd go with that first. It sounds as
> if it's sticking closed, then pops open.

In general I like to replace the cheap stuff first. If you're right, you
save a lot of cash. If you're wrong, you don't lose much.

Earle

Old June 24th 09, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:40:39 -0600, "Earle Horton"
> wrote:

>"Dale Beckett" > wrote in message
om...
>> PeterD wrote:
>>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:37:40 -0700 (PDT), bspear78

>>> Thermostat problem, with a possible entrapped air problem to go with
>>> it. Bleed the system, if the problem still exists, consider replacing
>>> the thermostat.

>> Replacing the thermostat is so easy, I'd go with that first. It sounds as
>> if it's sticking closed, then pops open.
>>

>In general I like to replace the cheap stuff first. If you're right, you
>save a lot of cash. If you're wrong, you don't lose much.
>
>Earle

Yes, but isn't bleeding free? <bg> Can't get much cheaper than that!

(But, personally it's been a 50/50 shot in vehicles that I've had this
problem on...)
Old June 25th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Dale Beckett wrote:
> PeterD wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:37:40 -0700 (PDT), bspear78
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Had a question. Every time I drive my Wrangler after about 5-10 min.
>>> the temp gauge goes all the way up to the red, then comes back down to
>>> normal, even below halfway on the gauge. Then it stays there. Does
>>> this sound like a thermostat issue? Gauge issue? Thanks
>>>
>>> 97 TJ

>> Thermostat problem, with a possible entrapped air problem to go with
>> it. Bleed the system, if the problem still exists, consider replacing
>> the thermostat.

> Replacing the thermostat is so easy, I'd go with that first. It sounds
> as if it's sticking closed, then pops open.

And pull the connects to the temp sensor and clean them.
Old June 25th 09, 10:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"PeterD" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:40:39 -0600, "Earle Horton"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Dale Beckett" > wrote in message
>>news:_eidnY7MPegAwNzXnZ2dnUVZ_odi4p2d@earthlink. com...

>>> Replacing the thermostat is so easy, I'd go with that first. It sounds
>>> as
>>> if it's sticking closed, then pops open.
>>>

>>In general I like to replace the cheap stuff first. If you're right, you
>>save a lot of cash. If you're wrong, you don't lose much.
>>
>>Earle

> Yes, but isn't bleeding free? <bg> Can't get much cheaper than that!
>
> (But, personally it's been a 50/50 shot in vehicles that I've had this
> problem on...)

My '95 did that for years. Never figured it out, although I changed the
t/stat, the water pump and the radiator over the years it still continued to
do that once in a while.

--
Old Crow
'82 FLTC(P) 'Mistress Pearl'

Old June 25th 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Old Crow wrote:

> My '95 did that for years. Never figured it out, although I changed
> the t/stat, the water pump and the radiator over the years it still
> continued to do that once in a while.

I remember drilling a small 1mm hole in the thermostat valve to let
air escape. That and making sure any gasket or gasket material
was not squooshed into where the valve was.

Could just be you got a sticky valve. Part of the machineing process
might have left a burr it was catching on.

Or engine gnomes.

--
DougW

Old June 25th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_30_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Old Crow wrote:
>
>> My '95 did that for years. Never figured it out, although I changed
>> the t/stat, the water pump and the radiator over the years it still
>> continued to do that once in a while.

> I remember drilling a small 1mm hole in the thermostat valve to let
> air escape. That and making sure any gasket or gasket material
> was not squooshed into where the valve was.
>
> Could just be you got a sticky valve. Part of the machineing process
> might have left a burr it was catching on.
>
> Or engine gnomes.

Many thermostats come with this hole already in place.

Earle

Old June 25th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 06:46:29 -0500, "DougW"
> wrote:

>Old Crow wrote:
>
>> My '95 did that for years. Never figured it out, although I changed
>> the t/stat, the water pump and the radiator over the years it still
>> continued to do that once in a while.

>I remember drilling a small 1mm hole in the thermostat valve to let
>air escape. That and making sure any gasket or gasket material
>was not squooshed into where the valve was.

Been there, done that too! Some thermostats already have a small hole
(1/8") but a few do not. It (the hole) really helps in keepign the
thermostat from getting air-locked.