Got my '64 Beetle back today

Old July 18th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Shag

Default Got my '64 Beetle back today

Towed it home from the shop and then took about a 50 mile trip in it.
It's running great and somehow it was almost magically cool inside of
the car during the trip even though it was about 92 degrees outside.
Gonna change the oil, adjust the valves, and get rid of the glass fuel
filter this weekend, then might have to take it on some kind of a
trip. Some kind of adventurous trip. Yes... yes... Some kind of
ADVENTURE. :-P

Old July 19th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Shag wrote:
> Towed it home from the shop and then took about a 50 mile trip in it.
> It's running great and somehow it was almost magically cool inside of
> the car during the trip even though it was about 92 degrees outside.
> Gonna change the oil, adjust the valves, and get rid of the glass fuel
> filter this weekend, then might have to take it on some kind of a
> trip. Some kind of adventurous trip. Yes... yes... Some kind of
> ADVENTURE. :-P

uh-oh.

jan
Old July 19th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Michael Cecil

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:40:51 -0400, Jan > wrote:

>Shag wrote:
>> Towed it home from the shop and then took about a 50 mile trip in it.
>> It's running great and somehow it was almost magically cool inside of
>> the car during the trip even though it was about 92 degrees outside.
>> Gonna change the oil, adjust the valves, and get rid of the glass fuel
>> filter this weekend, then might have to take it on some kind of a
>> trip. Some kind of adventurous trip. Yes... yes... Some kind of
>> ADVENTURE. :-P
>>

>uh-oh.

Hide the Sawzall!
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.roadrunner.com/~macecil/
Old July 19th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg

Shag wrote:
> Towed it home from the shop and then took about a 50 mile trip in it.
> It's running great and somehow it was almost magically cool inside of
> the car during the trip even though it was about 92 degrees outside.
> Gonna change the oil, adjust the valves, and get rid of the glass fuel
> filter this weekend, then might have to take it on some kind of a
> trip. Some kind of adventurous trip. Yes... yes... Some kind of
> ADVENTURE. :-P

Bring yer camera.

J.
Old August 7th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Neil

I'm still having a hard time seeing you in a stock beetle. There is
something wrong with that picture. I keep praying for LCB 1.1

Neil

ups.com...

Old August 7th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

a 1.1 is about the biggest engine I'd trust with him... in a 2 ton
truck.

Jan

Old August 7th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Neil

I've been considering building a Squareback baja since shaggie inspired me
all those years ago. I've got the donor car now, along with an NOS 3" body
lift kit. Just a few more pieces and I'll start putting it together. It
ought to be a fun desert car.

Neil

Old August 23rd 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Shag

On Aug 6, 9:57 pm, "Neil" > wrote:
> I've been considering building a Squareback baja since shaggie inspired me
> all those years ago. I've got the donor car now, along with an NOS 3" body
> lift kit. Just a few more pieces and I'll start putting it together. It
> ought to be a fun desert car.
>
> Neil

I had a small adventure on the way to work this morning... I just
sent an email to a group of disturbed people at work to share it with
them. Here ya go...

Funny you should mention that. The VW, that is. I'm taking tomorrow
and next Mon, Tues, Wed off from work because we're FINALLY closing on
the house in Raleigh tomorrow and I'm gonna be NOT in the mood to work
for a few days after that so... When I got up this morning I felt
like today is my Friday and I wanted to have a little fun so I figured
I'd ride the bike in to work today even though the heat is supposed to
still be pretty extreme today. I put on my riding gear (long pants
and t-shirt) and went downstairs to grab my laptop and go when I heard
some NASTY thunder. Hmm... Pulled up the local weather web page and
looked at the doppler and saw some really bad stuff between work and
home. So I figured no bike for today but that I'd drive the VW just
because that's how I roll. Got down the road and the skies opened up
on me. I found out today how waterproof the sun-roof is. Answer:
Not very. When the rain started to really pour down hard out of the
skies, the rain started to really pour down hard out of the sunroof.
I flipped on the wipers (6 volt wiper motor with 12-volt converted
electrical system on the car) and watched them furiously clearing the
rain from the windshield at a rate of 4-5 wipes per minute. That is
until the wiper arm on the driver's side (the side I consider to be a
little more important) fell off and landed on the hood. Oh well, who
needs to actually see where they're going anyway? It was still really
dark outside, but I had my high-beams on so they pierced through the
pre-dawn blackness, illuminating the way at least 6-7 feet in front of
my car (since the front suspension is worn out so the front sags way
down and makes the headlights basically worthless) as I sped along at
about 70 mph on the twisty back-roads, dodging deer here and there.
Eventually I stopped at a gas station, threw the broken off wiper arm
in the back seat, cleaned off the window, sprayed some Rain-X on it
(and SH!T I JUST REMEMBERED I LEFT THE FARKING BOTTLE OF RAIN-X
SITTING ON THE GROUND AT THE GAS STATION JUST LIKE I THOUGHT TO MYSELF
"YOU IDIOT... DON'T PUT THAT DOWN THERE... YOU WILL LEAVE IT HERE
SURE AS SH!T...") and wiped the inside of the car down to get it
mostly dried out. Just now made it in to work and am letting my pants
dry out. Hopefully nobody will walk by here before they dry out and I
put them back on.

--

travis