PCM problem? 99 Accord followup

Old December 20th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
hdieter

Default PCM problem? 99 Accord followup

The check engine light came on 3 times in our 99 Accord LX sedan 2.3L
(152,000 miles) in the last month. First it was just the gas cap, then
the evap canister and other parts were replaced and I was told it must be
something else like the PCM. This was the computer readout from my local
repair shop - code P1457. I then took it to the Honda dealer twice, once
they said it was code P1457 but really P1456 (they replaced the evapconstant
shut valve and a new gas cap, although the car had a new after market gas
cap) and a secondary code P0420 (catalytic converter below threshold),
saying the catalytic converter needed replacing and the second time it was
code P1457 - large evap leak - removed gas cap and reinstalled - system OK,
but still a secondary code P0420. I had the catalytic converter replaced by
my local mechanic Monday and the check engine light came on again today
(code P1457). All parts of the evap system have now been replaced. Where
do I go from here? My mechanic thinks its the PCM, the Honda dealer has
gotten code P1457 a number of times..........

Old December 20th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article >,
hdieter > wrote:

>the Honda dealer has gotten code P1457 a number of
>times..........

Do you know that for sure?

Old December 20th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
hdieter

Yes, it was written on my invoice and the service manager told me that it
was

Old December 20th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article >,
hdieter > wrote:

>Yes, it was written on my invoice and the service manager told me that it
>was

And you believed them?

Old December 21st 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"hdieter" > wrote in
:

> The check engine light came on 3 times in our 99 Accord LX sedan 2.3L
> (152,000 miles) in the last month. First it was just the gas cap,
> then the evap canister and other parts were replaced and I was told it
> must be something else like the PCM. This was the computer readout
> from my local repair shop - code P1457. I then took it to the Honda
> dealer twice, once they said it was code P1457 but really P1456 (they
> replaced the evapconstant shut valve and a new gas cap, although the
> car had a new after market gas cap) and a secondary code P0420
> (catalytic converter below threshold), saying the catalytic converter
> needed replacing and the second time it was code P1457 - large evap
> leak - removed gas cap and reinstalled - system OK, but still a
> secondary code P0420. I had the catalytic converter replaced by my
> local mechanic Monday and the check engine light came on again today
> (code P1457). All parts of the evap system have now been replaced.
> Where do I go from here? My mechanic thinks its the PCM, the Honda
> dealer has gotten code P1457 a number of times..........

Did your garage consult TSBs 02-007 and 03-001? Both have to do with your
P1457 problems. The Honda dealer should have checked for TSBs in any case.

Also, as far as the P0420 goes, did anyone check the ingiter terminal
connections? If those go bad or were not done properly to begin with,
you'll see a P0420. There is a Honda TSB on this, but it doesn't
specifically apply to your car.

Check the exhaust system for an air leak below the primary O2 sensor, and
check the manifold for cracks.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old December 22nd 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
hdieter

Took the car back to the Honda dealer today. No more P0420 code after the
cat converter was replaced. They did get the P1457 which said "Misc pulled
code P1457 (large evap leak) - did evap system check - traced to internal
canister leak - suggest replacement of evap canister." The evap canister
was replaced two weeks ago by my local mechanic. I guess I will go back and
talk to my mechanic again and.............

Old December 23rd 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"hdieter" > wrote in
:

> Took the car back to the Honda dealer today. No more P0420 code after
> the cat converter was replaced. They did get the P1457 which said
> "Misc pulled code P1457 (large evap leak) - did evap system check -
> traced to internal canister leak - suggest replacement of evap
> canister." The evap canister was replaced two weeks ago by my local
> mechanic. I guess I will go back and talk to my mechanic again
> and...

Try reading my previous message more closely: