Accord 2000-4DR-EX-5Spd Fluid Changes

Old August 14th 05, 05:59 PM
SadaYama

Default Accord 2000-4DR-EX-5Spd Fluid Changes

I am in the process of changing all the fluids in my 5-Speed Accord,
4dr, 60,000miles. I was wondering how do I replace the clutch fluid. I
do have the Helm shop manual, but could not figure out where the heck
it is?

Another question: Is it easy to find the Manual Transmission Fluid
drain bolt, underneath? Any pointers, on where to look. Thanks in
advance.

Old August 14th 05, 06:14 PM
Elle

"SadaYama" > wrote
> I am in the process of changing all the fluids in my 5-Speed Accord,
> 4dr, 60,000miles. I was wondering how do I replace the clutch fluid. I
> do have the Helm shop manual, but could not figure out where the heck
> it is?

You mean the manual transmission fluid, don't you?

In my Chilton's manual for my 91 Civic, it's under "Routine Maintenance,"
"Fluids and Lubricants," "Manual Transaxle."

> Another question: Is it easy to find the Manual Transmission Fluid
> drain bolt, underneath? Any pointers, on where to look. Thanks in
> advance.

Look at parts 12 and 15 below.

Part 12 should be a special bolt: You remove it not with a socket but with
the bare, 3/8-inch SQUARE drive of a ratchet or breaker bar. (Breaker bar is
preferred.) So look for a bolt with a 3/8-inch square head on it!

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...p?inputstate=5
&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=2000&catcgry3=4DR+EX&cat cgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=MT+++
+++TRANSMISSION+HOUSING

You should replace both washers when you do this job.

Old August 14th 05, 10:40 PM
Grahame

The maintenance schedule does not list clutch fluid replacement since it is
not as critical a brake fluid, however the clutch fluid reservoir is located
to the right of the master cylinder and the bleed screw is located on the
slave cylinder located at the front of the transaxle. If you have ever bled
the brake system it is a similar procedure.

ups.com...

Old August 15th 05, 01:37 AM
SadaYama

Grahame and Elle, thanks a lot for the info.

Old August 15th 05, 06:05 AM
SoCalMike

Grahame wrote:
> The maintenance schedule does not list clutch fluid replacement since it is
> not as critical a brake fluid, however the clutch fluid reservoir is located
> to the right of the master cylinder and the bleed screw is located on the
> slave cylinder located at the front of the transaxle. If you have ever bled
> the brake system it is a similar procedure.

and definately worth doing every 3 years or so.
Old August 17th 05, 03:11 AM
SadaYama

Grahame or SoCalMike or anyone:

How could I find the slave cylinder. Is it under the hood? I could
locate the master cylinder, under the hood. How far away is the slave
cylinder from the master cylinder. I do have the helms accord shop
manual, and I have seen the description of how to bleed the slave
cylinder, but am not able place the location on where it is under the
hood. Can someone, please help. Thanks a bunch.

Old August 17th 05, 10:23 PM
Grahame

It is located on the battery side just below the starter, tube shaped with a
rubber bellows on the left end with an actuator sticking out attached to the
clutch release arm.
I suggest you get a better manual like Haynes.
Grahame
oups.com...

Old August 23rd 05, 03:26 AM
SadaYama

Hi Grahame:

Thanks a bunch for your clear instructions on locating the clutch slave
cylinder and the bleeding procedure -- which is similar to brake fluid
bleed.

In Helms manual, it says for: Bleed the clutch hydraulic system.
Tighten the bleeder screw to 6lbf-ft -- slowly pump the clutch the
pedal until no more bubbles appear at the bleeder. ???

I am totally a novice and I could'nt figure out how it bleeds when the
first step is tighten the bleeder screw. I took the car to a brake
garage, where I could watch the bleeding procedure, and you are right,
it is similar to brake fluid bleed. I'll check out the Haynes Manual,
also, as you suggested.

Thanks again to you, and to this awesome group of amazing
Honda-car-buffs.