evaporative system

Old December 18th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jcooney

Default evaporative system

Can anyone tell me how to check the evaporative system for a leak. The
engine code indicates a leak. A local mechanic visually checked and could
not find anything.
Thanks,
Jim

Old December 18th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

jcooney wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to check the evaporative system for a leak. The
> engine code indicates a leak. A local mechanic visually checked and could
> not find anything.
> Thanks,
> Jim

You'll have to wait until Psychic Wednesday, or provide details. Year,
model, market (country), CODES, mileage.

'Curly'
Old December 18th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jcooney

This is a Honda Accord with about 150K. U.S. market(not Calif.).......The
mechanic did not give me the code but said he contacted honda and it
indicated a leak in the evaporative system. He could find no visual reason
for the leak.
Thanks,
Jim

Old December 18th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

jcooney wrote:
> This is a Honda Accord with about 150K. U.S. market(not Calif.).......The
> mechanic did not give me the code but said he contacted honda and it
> indicated a leak in the evaporative system. He could find no visual reason
> for the leak.
> Thanks,
> Jim

jeepers dude, what year, what exact model, egr or no egr?... it's not
psychic wednesday yet. and WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING TAKING YOUR CAR
TO SOME IDIOT THAT DOESN'T HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS??? oh, wait...
Old December 18th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"jcooney" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> Can anyone tell me how to check the evaporative system for a leak. The
> engine code indicates a leak. A local mechanic visually checked and could
> not find anything.

It is critically important that you give your car's year, model, trim line,
transmission and engine.

It is equally critical that you give the exact error code observed by the
mechanic. It will be something like "P0456". Generally speaking, that error
code will lead you directly to the cause of the trouble.

In some cases, the error code indicates a known issue for which Honda has
issued a TSB, and the actual trouble may have nothing to do with the EVAP
at all.

You have come here asking for help. We are trying to help you. Withholding
information will not help anyone solve anything.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old December 18th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"jcooney" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> This is a Honda Accord with about 150K. U.S. market(not
> Calif.).......The mechanic did not give me the code but said he
> contacted honda and it indicated a leak in the evaporative system. He
> could find no visual reason for the leak.

Please see my other post. Your attempts at seeking help will reach a dead
end here unless you are willing to divulge enough information to work with.

So far you have told us literally nothing.

If you wish to diagnose the EVAP system yoursalf, you need to buy a Helm
manual. Therein will be the *extensive* procedures for testing the EVAP
system. We cannot tell you here how to do it; it would take pages and pages
to describe everything.

Old December 20th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jcooney

The code is P1457(Evap. Emissions Control leak detected Evap. control
canister leak) This is a 1998 honda accord 2 door, vin #1HGCG3241WA002659.
Odometer reading 150K. Visual check showed nothing.

Old December 20th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"jcooney" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> The code is P1457(Evap. Emissions Control leak detected Evap. control
> canister leak) This is a 1998 honda accord 2 door, vin
> #1HGCG3241WA002659. Odometer reading 150K. Visual check showed
> nothing.

Your VIN tells me you have the 2.3L 4-cylinder.

There IS a known problem with your vehicle and the P1457 trouble code.
Honda has put out a TSB on this issue, updating the TSB over the years. The
most current TSB number I know of is 03-001.

The problem has to do with the EVAP Bypass Solenoid Valve, which corrodes
and becomes non-functional. In some rare cases, the ECU can also be damaged
due to a corrosion-induced short. The cure is replacement of one or both
parts.

If you're very nice, the dealer *may* agree to do the work for free under
"warranty", but don't count on that, as the car's well out of its official
warranty.

You now need to visit your local dealer. Describe your symptoms and quote
the TSB number I gave you. The Service Advisor at the dealer should check
his database for more (or more recent) TSBs having to do with this issue.

The dealer also has *extensive* Honda-specified EVAP testing procedures an
independent garage may not be aware of, just like an independent will not
be aware of TSBs.

Good luck.