puzzled???

Old August 4th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
rene

Default puzzled???

79 super 1.6 fij. It ran well for quite some time now. Died at stopsign
yesterday. Unable to restart.checked spark at cylinder #2 - voltage at
fuelinjector #2 - voltage at coil (1&15), adj pointgap to 0.017.
Swapped ecu, airbox ,resister pack, dual relay with spares - NO LUCK.
Just noticed an oilleak (6 drips a minute) and dipstick shows 1 quart
overfilled (always kept it between the marks). My oilleak over the
years was about 1 drip an hour. Appreciate any input you may have.
Thank you, Irene

Old August 5th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

rene wrote:
> 79 super 1.6 fij. It ran well for quite some time now. Died at stopsign
> yesterday. Unable to restart.checked spark at cylinder #2 - voltage at
> fuelinjector #2 - voltage at coil (1&15), adj pointgap to 0.017.
> Swapped ecu, airbox ,resister pack, dual relay with spares - NO LUCK.
> Just noticed an oilleak (6 drips a minute) and dipstick shows 1 quart
> overfilled (always kept it between the marks). My oilleak over the
> years was about 1 drip an hour. Appreciate any input you may have.
> Thank you, Irene

Yeah, that can be a puzzle.

See if there is 12V at Coil term 15 *both* when cranking
and when the key has returned to "RUN" position.

Next, I would see if there is fuel pump pressure.
You can stick a gauge in place of the Cold Start valve.
Normal will be roughly 30psi.

Or....at least have a helper listen at the pump (under tank)
for pump running during cranking.

There is basic FI info on my web site (Elec section).

Or go to:
http://www.type2.com/

Click on Library
Click on "F" for Fuel Injection.
Some helpful troubleshooting articles.
(Bus has same FI as yours.)

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old August 5th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

rene wrote:

> 79 super 1.6 fij. It ran well for quite some time now. Died at stopsign
> yesterday. Unable to restart.checked spark at cylinder #2 - voltage at
> fuelinjector #2 - voltage at coil (1&15), adj pointgap to 0.017.
> Swapped ecu, airbox ,resister pack, dual relay with spares - NO LUCK.
> Just noticed an oilleak (6 drips a minute) and dipstick shows 1 quart
> overfilled (always kept it between the marks). My oilleak over the
> years was about 1 drip an hour. Appreciate any input you may have.
> Thank you, Irene

Ah. Maybe the oil overfill is a clue!
Could be an injector leaking and flooding the engine.
That may explain why it stalled at the stop sign.

Old August 5th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dennis Wik

I would think your oil is diluted with gas. Smell the dipstick to be
sure. Others in this group can help diagnose injectors function and
cylinder spark better than I can. Change the oil for sure.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=32090944&f="Den's
Dogs</a>

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old August 5th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
rene

Old August 5th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
rene

Dennis Wik wrote:
> I would think your oil is diluted with gas. Smell the dipstick to be
> sure. Others in this group can help diagnose injectors function and
> cylinder spark better than I can. Change the oil for sure.
>
> href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=32090944&f="Den's
> Dogs</a>
>
> href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
> 1977 Puma</a>

Hi Dennis,
Thank you. You are right - makes perfect sense. Got to be a gas/oil
mix. Will change oil first thing am. Had somebody crank engine quite a
few times while I t/s various hardware in engine compartment _ UNLESS -
as Speddy Jim pointed out , a leaking FJ is my original problem.
Irene

Old August 5th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
rene

Speedy Jim wrote:
> rene wrote:
>
> > 79 super 1.6 fij. It ran well for quite some time now. Died at stopsign
> > yesterday. Unable to restart.checked spark at cylinder #2 - voltage at
> > fuelinjector #2 - voltage at coil (1&15), adj pointgap to 0.017.
> > Swapped ecu, airbox ,resister pack, dual relay with spares - NO LUCK.
> > Just noticed an oilleak (6 drips a minute) and dipstick shows 1 quart
> > overfilled (always kept it between the marks). My oilleak over the
> > years was about 1 drip an hour. Appreciate any input you may have.
> > Thank you, Irene
> >

> Ah. Maybe the oil overfill is a clue!
> Could be an injector leaking and flooding the engine.
> That may explain why it stalled at the stop sign.

Thank you SJ,
You helped me out before - quite a few years ago.
This seems to be a real possibility (clue). Also cranked the ... out of
it while trying to T/s different things. I suppose the first thing I
have to do is change the oil in am and dry the plugs.
Irene

Old August 5th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
rene

Speedy Jim wrote:
> rene wrote:
> > 79 super 1.6 fij. It ran well for quite some time now. Died at stopsign
> > yesterday. Unable to restart.checked spark at cylinder #2 - voltage at
> > fuelinjector #2 - voltage at coil (1&15), adj pointgap to 0.017.
> > Swapped ecu, airbox ,resister pack, dual relay with spares - NO LUCK.
> > Just noticed an oilleak (6 drips a minute) and dipstick shows 1 quart
> > overfilled (always kept it between the marks). My oilleak over the
> > years was about 1 drip an hour. Appreciate any input you may have.
> > Thank you, Irene
> >

> Yeah, that can be a puzzle.
>
> See if there is 12V at Coil term 15 *both* when cranking
> and when the key has returned to "RUN" position.
>
> Next, I would see if there is fuel pump pressure.
> You can stick a gauge in place of the Cold Start valve.
> Normal will be roughly 30psi.
>
> Or....at least have a helper listen at the pump (under tank)
> for pump running during cranking.
>
> There is basic FI info on my web site (Elec section).
>
> Or go to:
> http://www.type2.com/
>
> Click on Library
> Click on "F" for Fuel Injection.
> Some helpful troubleshooting articles.
> (Bus has same FI as yours.)
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Hi Jim,
Will spend some time on type2.com
Had no fuelpressure gauge but did the disconnect on the Cold Start
Valve and get a healthy fuel flow (into empty bottle)
Listening test on Fuelpump was also affirmative before the above.
Coil (15) I will test tomorrow as per your input.
Thanks,
Irene