Transmission install, not sure it's in neutral in '69 Beetle

Old August 7th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
kerfoker

Default Transmission install, not sure it's in neutral in '69 Beetle

I was screwing around with rebuilt trans before I put it in the car,
pushed the little
shift end on it all the way in. I moved it back out again a bit before
putting it in but now
I don't know if it is in neutral when I put it in. After putting it in:
1st and 3rd,
2nd and 4th feel very close together but different...but could be my
imagination. So
after I start the car up for the first time hopefully all is normal. If
not I would
guess I'll have to take the hand shift lever out for repositioning?

Old August 7th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"kerfoker" > wrote in message
>I was screwing around with rebuilt trans before I put it in the car,
> pushed the little
> shift end on it all the way in. I moved it back out again a bit before
> putting it in but now
> I don't know if it is in neutral when I put it in. After putting it in:
> 1st and 3rd,
> 2nd and 4th feel very close together but different...but could be my
> imagination. So
> after I start the car up for the first time hopefully all is normal. If
> not I would
> guess I'll have to take the hand shift lever out for repositioning?

as long as you were able to line up the shift coupler to the transaxle and
put the setscrew in, you are fine...not to say the shifter won't need any
adjusting, because it might...there is very little adjustment there, and you
don't have to remove the shifter to do so, just loosen the two 13mm
bolts...try it as is first...

Old August 13th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
kerfoker

Joey Tribiani wrote:

> "kerfoker" > wrote in message
> >I was screwing around with rebuilt trans before I put it in the car,
> > pushed the little
> > shift end on it all the way in. I moved it back out again a bit before
> > putting it in but now
> > I don't know if it is in neutral when I put it in. After putting it in:
> > 1st and 3rd,
> > 2nd and 4th feel very close together but different...but could be my
> > imagination. So
> > after I start the car up for the first time hopefully all is normal. If
> > not I would
> > guess I'll have to take the hand shift lever out for repositioning?
> >

> as long as you were able to line up the shift coupler to the transaxle and
> put the setscrew in, you are fine...not to say the shifter won't need any
> adjusting, because it might...there is very little adjustment there, and you
> don't have to remove the shifter to do so, just loosen the two 13mm
> bolts...try it as is first...

I finished hooking up the motor today and the shifting works fine. I
thought
the directions telling me both the trans and the shifter should be in
neutral
before the install meant I was in trouble.
Thanks!