Shifter extremely tight after ATF change

Old April 15th 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark G7#9

Default Shifter extremely tight after ATF change

On Apr 15, 1:37*am, Brent > wrote:
> On 2009-04-15, MR M.R. > wrote:
>
> > * Oils mix, yes, but some not so well, and some additives not at all. Not
> > thoroughly cleaning the transmission before changing the fluid is asking for
> > trouble sooner or later.

> Draining and filling with the right fluid, then letting it mix and
> draining again will have removed almost all of it. Fill and
> drain again and it should certainly be as well or better cleaned out as
> it would by opening it up and cleaning it. Considering the
> complexity and expense of removing the trans and going into it repeated
> drains and refilling is much cheaper and easier and achieves the same
> goal, removing as much of the gear oil as possible.

This is what a trans tech that changed my clutch told me to do.

As far as the breather hole next to the shifter, why don't I see any
mentions of anyone using it to refill the oil? Most seem to remove the
actual shifter casing (which is a pain in my case).
Old April 15th 09, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-04-15, Mark G7#9 > wrote:
> On Apr 15, 1:37*am, Brent > wrote:
>> On 2009-04-15, MR M.R. > wrote:
>>
>> > * Oils mix, yes, but some not so well, and some additives not at all. Not
>> > thoroughly cleaning the transmission before changing the fluid is asking for
>> > trouble sooner or later.

>> Draining and filling with the right fluid, then letting it mix and
>> draining again will have removed almost all of it. Fill and
>> drain again and it should certainly be as well or better cleaned out as
>> it would by opening it up and cleaning it. Considering the
>> complexity and expense of removing the trans and going into it repeated
>> drains and refilling is much cheaper and easier and achieves the same
>> goal, removing as much of the gear oil as possible.

> This is what a trans tech that changed my clutch told me to do.
>
> As far as the breather hole next to the shifter, why don't I see any
> mentions of anyone using it to refill the oil? Most seem to remove the
> actual shifter casing (which is a pain in my case).

just use a funnel with a hose and the fill hole... it's less difficult
than removing the shifter.

I don't think that rubber breather grommet comes off and goes on easily
and could likely be damaged in the process.

Old April 16th 09, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
MR M.R.

"Brent" > wrote in message
> On 2009-04-15, MR M.R. > wrote:
>
>> Oils mix, yes, but some not so well, and some additives not at all. Not
>> thoroughly cleaning the transmission before changing the fluid is asking
>> for
>> trouble sooner or later.

> Draining and filling with the right fluid, then letting it mix and
> draining again will have removed almost all of it. Fill and
> drain again and it should certainly be as well or better cleaned out as
> it would by opening it up and cleaning it. Considering the
> complexity and expense of removing the trans and going into it repeated
> drains and refilling is much cheaper and easier and achieves the same
> goal, removing as much of the gear oil as possible.

You're probably right, but if it were my car, I'd try to make the idiot
that put the 90W oil in my tranny pay for a teardown and thorough cleaning.
No way would I let him do it though.

Old April 16th 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
habitoid

"MR M.R." > wrote in message

> "Brent" > wrote in message
>> On 2009-04-15, MR M.R. > wrote:
>>
>>> Oils mix, yes, but some not so well, and some additives not at all.
>>> Not
>>> thoroughly cleaning the transmission before changing the fluid is asking
>>> for
>>> trouble sooner or later.

>> Draining and filling with the right fluid, then letting it mix and
>> draining again will have removed almost all of it. Fill and
>> drain again and it should certainly be as well or better cleaned out as
>> it would by opening it up and cleaning it. Considering the
>> complexity and expense of removing the trans and going into it repeated
>> drains and refilling is much cheaper and easier and achieves the same
>> goal, removing as much of the gear oil as possible.
>>

> You're probably right, but if it were my car, I'd try to make the idiot
> that put the 90W oil in my tranny pay for a teardown and thorough
> cleaning. No way would I let him do it though.

Just put his email up and we'll all email him not to do 90W, he needs to
know.

Old April 17th 09, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-04-16, MR M.R. > wrote:

> "Brent" > wrote in message
>> On 2009-04-15, MR M.R. > wrote:
>>
>>> Oils mix, yes, but some not so well, and some additives not at all. Not
>>> thoroughly cleaning the transmission before changing the fluid is asking
>>> for
>>> trouble sooner or later.

>> Draining and filling with the right fluid, then letting it mix and
>> draining again will have removed almost all of it. Fill and
>> drain again and it should certainly be as well or better cleaned out as
>> it would by opening it up and cleaning it. Considering the
>> complexity and expense of removing the trans and going into it repeated
>> drains and refilling is much cheaper and easier and achieves the same
>> goal, removing as much of the gear oil as possible.
>>

> You're probably right, but if it were my car, I'd try to make the idiot
> that put the 90W oil in my tranny pay for a teardown and thorough cleaning.
> No way would I let him do it though.

And just think what an idiot can do when tearing down a trans.... or
even a non-idiot who just makes a mistake.

Old April 17th 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
MR M.R.

"Brent" > wrote in message
> On 2009-04-16, MR M.R. > wrote:

>>> Draining and filling with the right fluid, then letting it mix and
>>> draining again will have removed almost all of it. Fill and
>>> drain again and it should certainly be as well or better cleaned out as
>>> it would by opening it up and cleaning it. Considering the
>>> complexity and expense of removing the trans and going into it repeated
>>> drains and refilling is much cheaper and easier and achieves the same
>>> goal, removing as much of the gear oil as possible.
>>>

>> You're probably right, but if it were my car, I'd try to make the idiot
>> that put the 90W oil in my tranny pay for a teardown and thorough
>> cleaning.
>> No way would I let him do it though.

> And just think what an idiot can do when tearing down a trans.... or
> even a non-idiot who just makes a mistake.

That's why I said there's no way I'd let him do it.
Non-idiots don't make mistakes like that, non-idiots check the specs first
if they aren't sure. Good mechanics also guarantee their work 100%, so even
if a mistake like this one happened, a good mechanic would do whatever it
took to make things right with the customer.

Old April 17th 09, 12:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Repairman[_3_]

Easy way to refill trannies and rears, pick up a pump for outboard lower end
lube.
They just screw onto the bottle and it's the easy cheap way to refill
trannies. It's just a push down plunger pump.
Outboard lower units fill from the bottom drain plug so these bottle pumps
work great and come with a hose that's usually long enough to reach the fill
plug. Outboard lower gear lube is heavy like auto gear lube so it will pump
that and ATF with no problem.
Thats what I use to refill my GT's trannie.

Old April 18th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark G7#9

On Apr 17, 7:47*am, "Repairman" > wrote:
> Easy way to refill trannies and rears, pick up a pump for outboard lower end
> lube.
> They just screw onto the bottle and it's the easy cheap way to refill
> trannies. It's just a push down plunger pump.
> Outboard lower units fill from the bottom drain plug so these bottle pumps
> work great and come with a hose that's usually long enough to reach the fill
> plug. Outboard lower gear lube is heavy like auto gear lube so it will pump
> that and ATF with no problem.
> Thats what I use to refill my GT's trannie.

Well, here is an update (if anyone cares).

1. I swapped out the gear oil with ATF, drove around a bit and did
another change. Using a funnel with a tube through the shifter hole is
fairly easy.

2. Didn't get a chance to yell at the mechanic yet who recommended
gear oil for the T45, and may not do it at all since the kid may get
fired. Just may mention it to him in private so he doesn't repeat the
mistake. I think it's partially my fault too for not doing some
homework.

3. The car shifts fine now. Drove around 150 miles with gear oil so
maybe no damage was done. (Lucky this time).

4. Moral of the story: when going to Quick Lube shops, stick to oil
changes. Tranny stuff is too complicated for some.

Old April 18th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_4_]

"Repairman" > wrote in message
> Easy way to refill trannies and rears, pick up a pump for outboard lower
> end lube.
> They just screw onto the bottle and it's the easy cheap way to refill
> trannies. It's just a push down plunger pump.
> Outboard lower units fill from the bottom drain plug so these bottle pumps
> work great and come with a hose that's usually long enough to reach the
> fill plug. Outboard lower gear lube is heavy like auto gear lube so it
> will pump that and ATF with no problem.
> Thats what I use to refill my GT's trannie.

In a pinch, put some ATF in a heavy plastic bag. Stuff the open end in the
fill hole. Squeeze it in.

In a pinch.....

Al

Old April 18th 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

Big Al wrote:
> "Repairman" > wrote in message
>> Easy way to refill trannies and rears, pick up a pump for outboard lower
>> end lube.
>> They just screw onto the bottle and it's the easy cheap way to refill
>> trannies. It's just a push down plunger pump.
>> Outboard lower units fill from the bottom drain plug so these bottle pumps
>> work great and come with a hose that's usually long enough to reach the
>> fill plug. Outboard lower gear lube is heavy like auto gear lube so it
>> will pump that and ATF with no problem.
>> Thats what I use to refill my GT's trannie.
>>

> In a pinch, put some ATF in a heavy plastic bag. Stuff the open end in the
> fill hole. Squeeze it in.
>
> In a pinch.....
>
> Al

Then head to the showers??? LOL

--

There are LOTS of persons in this world who cannot be civil.
I've met more than my share of them over the years. Seems anytime