Shifter extremely tight after ATF change

Old April 13th 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_9_]

Default Shifter extremely tight after ATF change

Mark G7#9 wrote:

> They changed from Mercon to 90W gear oil (the tech claimed that on
> manuals with over 100K this is much better and he has a few manual
> Stangs). It's still a bit tight when cold but is very smooth later.

Who changed to 90W? Not Ford....There's your answer.
Old April 13th 09, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_4_]

"GILL" > wrote in message
> Mark G7#9 wrote:
>
>> They changed from Mercon to 90W gear oil (the tech claimed that on
>> manuals with over 100K this is much better and he has a few manual
>> Stangs). It's still a bit tight when cold but is very smooth later.

> Who changed to 90W? Not Ford....There's your answer.

Believe me. I'd get that in writing. Put the Ford recommended fluid in it
NOW!

Al

Old April 13th 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

Mark G7#9 wrote:

>>> No. In a T-5, first and second synchronizers are three peice. Look at this:
>>> http://www.mackstrans.com/images/dia...45-Diagram.jpg
>>> Look at 83, 83A and 83B. 83A would be the lined part.
>>> Made me work to find that picture
>>> Al

>> That's a cool web site! Says the t-5 uses a paper lined 1-2 syncro and
>> the t-45 uses a carbon lined friction ring.- Hide quoted text -

> They changed from Mercon to 90W gear oil (the tech claimed that on
> manuals with over 100K this is much better and he has a few manual
> Stangs). It's still a bit tight when cold but is very smooth later.

So, you're saying you have a T-45 and a "mechanic" put 90 wt gear
oil in it??

--

There are LOTS of persons in this world who cannot be civil.
I've met more than my share of them over the years. Seems anytime
Old April 13th 09, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
I'm Back!!!

"Mark G7#9" > wrote in message
On Apr 10, 11:12 pm, GILL > wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>
> >> I've been inside a T-45 but not a T-5 and I didn't notice anything but
> >> solid parts, nothing that appeared coated or bonded... or are you
> >> talking about a surface treatment... like a case hardening?

> > No. In a T-5, first and second synchronizers are three peice. Look at
> > this:

> >http://www.mackstrans.com/images/dia...45-Diagram.jpg

> > Look at 83, 83A and 83B. 83A would be the lined part.

> > Made me work to find that picture

> > Al

> That's a cool web site! Says the t-5 uses a paper lined 1-2 syncro and
> the t-45 uses a carbon lined friction ring.- Hide quoted text -

They changed from Mercon to 90W gear oil (the tech claimed that on
manuals with over 100K this is much better and he has a few manual
Stangs). It's still a bit tight when cold but is very smooth later.

If it were me, I'd be talking to Ford first and an attorney second. It's my
understanding that those trannies were not designed to run regluar gear oil.

Old April 13th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
MR M.R.

"I'm Back!!!" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Mark G7#9" > wrote in message

>> > No. In a T-5, first and second synchronizers are three peice. Look at
>> > this:

>> >http://www.mackstrans.com/images/dia...45-Diagram.jpg

>> > Look at 83, 83A and 83B. 83A would be the lined part.

>> > Made me work to find that picture

>> > Al

>> That's a cool web site! Says the t-5 uses a paper lined 1-2 syncro and
>> the t-45 uses a carbon lined friction ring.- Hide quoted text -

> They changed from Mercon to 90W gear oil (the tech claimed that on
> manuals with over 100K this is much better and he has a few manual
> Stangs). It's still a bit tight when cold but is very smooth later.

> If it were me, I'd be talking to Ford first and an attorney second. It's
> my understanding that those trannies were not designed to run regluar gear
> oil.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the transmission will
need to be completely torn down and thoroughly cleaned before being filled
back up with the correct fluid.

Old April 13th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_9_]

MR M.R. wrote:

> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the transmission will
> need to be completely torn down and thoroughly cleaned before being filled
> back up with the correct fluid.

I bought an 86 GT back in 88 that had gear oil, (I think this was around
the time Ford switched to ATF) but I replaced it with the right ATF and
it was fine for many years. (Just a back yard fluid change)
Old April 14th 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark G7#9

On Apr 13, 2:00 pm, "WindsorFox<[SS]>" >
wrote:
> Mark G7#9 wrote:

> >> That's a cool web site! Says the t-5 uses a paper lined 1-2 syncro and
> >> the t-45 uses a carbon lined friction ring.- Hide quoted text -

> > They changed from Mercon to 90W gear oil (the tech claimed that on
> > manuals with over 100K this is much better and he has a few manual
> > Stangs). It's still a bit tight when cold but is very smooth later.

> So, you're saying you have a T-45 and a "mechanic" put 90 wt gear
> oil in it??
>
> --
>
> There are LOTS of persons in this world who cannot be civil.
> I've met more than my share of them over the years. Seems anytime
> you introduce facts that don't fit in with their pre-conceived
> notion of how things should be, they go into the attack mode.
> Just part of life, I guess. - Mark Edward Marchiafava

The manual says 2000 GT has a T50 D tranny. You guys are scaring me. I
didn't find anything on the web that says gear oil will damage the
T50.
Just to review, I had the original ATF swapped (with tranny flush as
well) for synthetic after 104K. It was very hard to shift when cold
after the swap, so the mechanic (at no charge), put in thicker oil
(I'm not sure if it's 90W, but he called it gear oil). The tech
claimed that all his manual cars (including a nice BMW M3) had gear
oil and it was only tight when they are cold but get very smooth
later. If I go back for the 3rd time, I'm pretty sure I'll get into a
big fight. Do they really need to flush again to put in ATF?
Old April 14th 09, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-04-14, Mark G7#9 > wrote:

> The manual says 2000 GT has a T50 D tranny. You guys are scaring me. I
> didn't find anything on the web that says gear oil will damage the
> T50.

You probably won't find anything that filling it with WD40 will damage
anything as well What you need to look for is some sort of
verification that the 90W is acceptable.

I remember way back people would fill the mustang T5s (and maybe T45s)
with the GM syncromesh (think that's what it was called) fluid.
Purchased right from the GM dealer and was the GM recommended lubricant
for the same transmissions in their cars as I recall.

Old April 14th 09, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

MR M.R. wrote:
> "I'm Back!!!" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> "Mark G7#9" > wrote in message

>>> That's a cool web site! Says the t-5 uses a paper lined 1-2 syncro and
>>> the t-45 uses a carbon lined friction ring.- Hide quoted text -

>> They changed from Mercon to 90W gear oil (the tech claimed that on
>> manuals with over 100K this is much better and he has a few manual
>> Stangs). It's still a bit tight when cold but is very smooth later.

>> If it were me, I'd be talking to Ford first and an attorney second. It's
>> my understanding that those trannies were not designed to run regluar gear
>> oil.
>>

> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the transmission will
> need to be completely torn down and thoroughly cleaned before being filled
> back up with the correct fluid.

That's correct according to what I've been told.

Old April 14th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

Mark G7#9 wrote:
>>> They changed from Mercon to 90W gear oil (the tech claimed that on
>>> manuals with over 100K this is much better and he has a few manual
>>> Stangs). It's still a bit tight when cold but is very smooth later.

>> So, you're saying you have a T-45 and a "mechanic" put 90 wt gear
>> oil in it??
>>

> The manual says 2000 GT has a T50 D tranny. You guys are scaring me. I
> didn't find anything on the web that says gear oil will damage the
> T50.
> Just to review, I had the original ATF swapped (with tranny flush as
> well) for synthetic after 104K. It was very hard to shift when cold
> after the swap, so the mechanic (at no charge), put in thicker oil
> (I'm not sure if it's 90W, but he called it gear oil). The tech
> claimed that all his manual cars (including a nice BMW M3) had gear
> oil and it was only tight when they are cold but get very smooth
> later. If I go back for the 3rd time, I'm pretty sure I'll get into a
> big fight. Do they really need to flush again to put in ATF?

Ok, I'm not touching that, I'd be glad to tell you what I would have
done instead, but that's water under the bridge. If it were me I would
make 1000% sure it had ATF in it.