battery washers - how long do they last (prevent corrosion)

Old March 23rd 05, 01:01 AM

Default battery washers - how long do they last (prevent corrosion)

I have been getting alot of blue-green corrosion around my battery
terminals. It still happened after I replaced my battery. It seems that
this is caused by the tin wearing off on my battery terminals exposing
the copper. While I will consider replacing my terminals at some point,
I currently have been using those felt battery washers. Does anyone
know how often they last before they need replacement? Any other ways
to prevent terminal corrosion buildup? I hear that vaseline and other
greases are not good as they will leak into the terminal connection.
Thanks

Old March 23rd 05, 07:10 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 06:49:26 GMT, y_p_w > wrote:

>Lawrence Glickman wrote:
>
>> On 22 Mar 2005 17:01:25 -0800, wrote:
>>

>>>I have been getting alot of blue-green corrosion around my battery
>>>terminals. It still happened after I replaced my battery. It seems that
>>>this is caused by the tin wearing off on my battery terminals exposing
>>>the copper. While I will consider replacing my terminals at some point,
>>>I currently have been using those felt battery washers. Does anyone
>>>know how often they last before they need replacement? Any other ways
>>>to prevent terminal corrosion buildup? I hear that vaseline and other
>>>greases are not good as they will leak into the terminal connection.
>>>Thanks

>> There is some spray on stuff that resembles acrylic that will seal
>> things up for you. Comes in a small red can; check auto parts store.
>> Only a few dollars.

>Be careful with that stuff. It becomes really hard, and it's near
>impossible to remove. I spread out one sheet of newspaper, but a
>small amount of overspray was permanent on my garage floor. The
>can said it contained MEK, so maybe some super-nasty MEK brush
>cleaner might do the trick. Acetone certainly wouldn't get rid of
>it. Oh - the stuff I used was marketed by Exide, but someone else
>likely made it.
>
>I've also tried gel-type corrosion inhibitors from Permatex and
>Victor. Those don't dry up - they're still rather messy after
>they're applied.

It appears we have the same "stuff"
My can says: Exide CRO/GARD Battery Protector
with red tint
eliminates corrosion and oxidation

Says it contains:
Toulene
Acetone
Methyl Ethyl Ketone.

IOW, it appears to be liquid "acrylic"

It's on my battery terminals right now, and there is zero oxidation
apparent on either the terminals or cable clamps.

Then again, there might be zero oxidation even without this "stuff"
As one other poster mentioned, outgassing is what is doing this, and
if your battery is excessively outgassing, it is time to look at both
the charging system ( for overcharging ) and the battery itself for
breaks in the seals.

The car battery is IMO one of the =most= neglected pieces of equipment
under the hood of any automobile. Not to say other things aren't
neglected also.

Lg

How long should a battery last? - storage advice? Hugh Mazda 8 December 17th 04 01:21 AM
How long will my battery last? Scott Streeter Mazda 24 December 5th 04 07:39 PM
How long Do AutoZone Batteries last? [email protected] VW air cooled 5 November 22nd 04 09:25 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
Alfa Romeo 156 alarm won't turn off problem Alfie Norks Alfa Romeo 14 October 23rd 04 04:33 AM