740i Transmission CODES

Old June 30th 08, 04:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
avatar2k

Default 740i Transmission CODES

how does one obtain the transmission "codes" for a 1998 BMW 740i. i'm
getting a "Check Engine" light and my transmission is in Fail Safe
mode. is there a computer diagnostics technique that shops use to
determine the exact problem with my transmission? will the codes
relating to the transmission show up via the "OBD" computer
terminal? i don't want to get screwed at the transmission shop.
thank you very much in advance.
Old June 30th 08, 05:21 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

There is a data port along the bottom of the dash board -- if there is cover
over it, the cover will be clearly identified as having a data port -- that
fits the OBD II scan tool. You can visit Autozone parts stores and use the
scan tool for free, or you can buy the scan tool, take it home and pull
codes, then return the tool for a full refund. The OBD II codes will tell
you what hurts.

Aamco -- not the best place to go in my opinion -- will read the codes for
free too, but I have heard some real horror stories about that place.

Old June 30th 08, 05:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"avatar2k" > wrote in message
> how does one obtain the transmission "codes" for a 1998 BMW 740i. i'm
> getting a "Check Engine" light and my transmission is in Fail Safe
> mode. is there a computer diagnostics technique that shops use to
> determine the exact problem with my transmission? will the codes
> relating to the transmission show up via the "OBD" computer
> terminal? i don't want to get screwed at the transmission shop.
> thank you very much in advance.

If the fault is transmission then it will say "transmission" (you might have
to scroll for it).

Does the fault go away if the engine is stopped and restarted?

The most common cause of this is low battery volts.

Old July 1st 08, 04:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
avatar2k

On Jun 30, 9:49*am, "R. Mark Clayton" >
wrote:
> "avatar2k" > wrote in message

> > how does one obtain the transmission "codes" for a 1998 BMW 740i. *i'm
> > getting a "Check Engine" light and my transmission is in Fail Safe
> > mode. *is there a computer diagnostics technique that shops use to
> > determine the exact problem with my transmission? will the codes
> > relating to the transmission show up via the "OBD" computer
> > terminal? * i don't want to get screwed at the transmission shop.
> > thank you very much in advance.

> If the fault is transmission then it will say "transmission" (you might have
> to scroll for it).
>
> Does the fault go away if the engine is stopped and restarted?
>
> The most common cause of this is low battery volts.

thanks for your reply. unfortunately the problem doesn't go away when
the engine is restarted. i bought a new battery but the problem still
persists. thanks!
Old July 1st 08, 04:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
avatar2k

On Jun 30, 9:21*am, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> There is a data port along the bottom of the dash board -- if there is cover
> over it, the cover will be clearly identified as having a data port -- that
> fits the OBD II scan tool. You can visit Autozone parts stores and use the
> scan tool for free, or you can buy the scan tool, take it home and pull
> codes, then return the tool for a full refund. The OBD II codes will tell
> you what hurts.
>
> Aamco -- not the best place to go in my opinion -- will read the codes for
> free too, but I have heard some real horror stories about that place.
>
> "avatar2k" > wrote in message

> > how does one obtain the transmission "codes" for a 1998 BMW 740i. *i'm
> > getting a "Check Engine" light and my transmission is in Fail Safe
> > mode. *is there a computer diagnostics technique that shops use to
> > determine the exact problem with my transmission? will the codes
> > relating to the transmission show up via the "OBD" computer
> > terminal? * i don't want to get screwed at the transmission shop.
> > thank you very much in advance.

I took my 740i to a AAMCO shop for their free analysis. does anyone
know the meaning of the codes?

the following codes came up:
49 Gear Monitoring
54 Gear Monitoring #4
59 Stall Monitoring

any insight as to what these codes mean would be appreciated. i would
like to take my car to a reputable independent transmission shop.
trying to find a good one in Los Angeles is the challenge. any
suggestions? so you've heard horror stories about AAMCO - i guess I
won't be going their for the work. i would like to get the
transmission repaired as opposed to rebuilt.

any other insight/suggestions you might have would be appreciated.
Old July 2nd 08, 02:02 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"avatar2k" > wrote in message
On Jun 30, 9:21 am, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> There is a data port along the bottom of the dash board -- if there is
> cover
> over it, the cover will be clearly identified as having a data port --
> that
> fits the OBD II scan tool. You can visit Autozone parts stores and use the
> scan tool for free, or you can buy the scan tool, take it home and pull
> codes, then return the tool for a full refund. The OBD II codes will tell
> you what hurts.
>
> Aamco -- not the best place to go in my opinion -- will read the codes for
> free too, but I have heard some real horror stories about that place.
>
> "avatar2k" > wrote in message

> > how does one obtain the transmission "codes" for a 1998 BMW 740i. i'm
> > getting a "Check Engine" light and my transmission is in Fail Safe
> > mode. is there a computer diagnostics technique that shops use to
> > determine the exact problem with my transmission? will the codes
> > relating to the transmission show up via the "OBD" computer
> > terminal? i don't want to get screwed at the transmission shop.
> > thank you very much in advance.

I took my 740i to a AAMCO shop for their free analysis. does anyone
know the meaning of the codes?

the following codes came up:
49 Gear Monitoring
54 Gear Monitoring #4
59 Stall Monitoring

any insight as to what these codes mean would be appreciated. i would
like to take my car to a reputable independent transmission shop.
trying to find a good one in Los Angeles is the challenge. any
suggestions? so you've heard horror stories about AAMCO - i guess I
won't be going their for the work. i would like to get the
transmission repaired as opposed to rebuilt.

any other insight/suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

<JS>
Did they reset the computer and turn the Check Light off?

If not, go to Autozone and ask them if you can use the OBD II (On Board
Diagnostics, Level 2) scan tool. It's free to use.

Plug it into the data port along the bottom of the dashboard, in the
vicinity of where your left foot would be while using the clutch pedal that
you don't have -- pretend you have one, and look there. the OBD II codes
will look like P0nnn or P1nnn. There is a BMW data port that gives (maybe)
more detailed information, butu if the Check light is on, the OBD II system
should know why.

Write down all 5 digits, and report back to us.

</JS>

Old July 2nd 08, 02:04 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"avatar2k" > wrote in message

I took my 740i to a AAMCO shop for their free analysis. does anyone
know the meaning of the codes?

the following codes came up:
49 Gear Monitoring
54 Gear Monitoring #4
59 Stall Monitoring

<JS>
I do not know what these codes mean.

Old July 2nd 08, 03:16 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Smitter

"avatar2k" > wrote:
> i would
>like to take my car to a reputable independent transmission shop.
>trying to find a good one in Los Angeles is the challenge. any
>suggestions? so you've heard horror stories about AAMCO - i guess I
>won't be going their for the work. i would like to get the
>transmission repaired as opposed to rebuilt.

Not LA, but Carl at La Jolla Independent BMW used to
repair transmissions. If he no longer does, or if La Jolla
is too far, give him a call and ask for his suggestions. He is
one of the most highly regarded BMW mechanics, and
is listed in the tech section of Roundel Magazine.

Old July 4th 08, 12:02 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

wrote:
> "avatar2k" > wrote in message

> > how does one obtain the transmission "codes" for a 1998 BMW 740i. i'm
> > getting a "Check Engine" light and my transmission is in Fail Safe
> > mode. is there a computer diagnostics technique that shops use to
> > determine the exact problem with my transmission? will the codes
> > relating to the transmission show up via the "OBD" computer
> > terminal? i don't want to get screwed at the transmission shop.
> > thank you very much in advance.

> If the fault is transmission then it will say "transmission" (you might
> have
> to scroll for it).
>
> Does the fault go away if the engine is stopped and restarted?
>
> The most common cause of this is low battery volts.

thanks for your reply. unfortunately the problem doesn't go away when
the engine is restarted. i bought a new battery but the problem still
persists. thanks!

Probably a real fault then :-((

Old July 4th 08, 05:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"R. Mark Clayton" > wrote in message

> "avatar2k" > wrote in message
> On Jun 30, 9:49 am, "R. Mark Clayton" >
> wrote:
>> "avatar2k" > wrote in message

>> > how does one obtain the transmission "codes" for a 1998 BMW 740i. i'm
>> > getting a "Check Engine" light and my transmission is in Fail Safe
>> > mode. is there a computer diagnostics technique that shops use to
>> > determine the exact problem with my transmission? will the codes
>> > relating to the transmission show up via the "OBD" computer
>> > terminal? i don't want to get screwed at the transmission shop.
>> > thank you very much in advance.

>> If the fault is transmission then it will say "transmission" (you might
>> have
>> to scroll for it).
>>
>> Does the fault go away if the engine is stopped and restarted?
>>
>> The most common cause of this is low battery volts.

> thanks for your reply. unfortunately the problem doesn't go away when
> the engine is restarted. i bought a new battery but the problem still
> persists. thanks!
>
> Probably a real fault then :-((

Yes sounds bad :-((