P0340 -- Cam Shaft Position Sensor

Old June 30th 09, 08:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

Default P0340 -- Cam Shaft Position Sensor

A friend has an '00 323 that has stalled twice in recent weeks, once today,
and the Service Engine Soon light comes on during the event, but then goes
out again and remains out.

She pulls to a stop sign, waits her turn to proceed, then the car stalls
when she attempts to go. The symptom set she described to me sounded as if
there was a problem delivering fuel, but since the Check light flashes on, I
elected to check for stored codes before lining up my wrenches. The only
stored code is P0340, which translates to a failing cam sensor.

She also says that under load -- freeway driving -- on long inclines, the
car does not hold its speed as well as it once did, and she feels a need to
put her foot into it more than she remembers, and this prompts a downshift
that she describes as very harsh. I don't know what this means because a
single gear change from 5th to 4th shouldn't be a memorial event, but if the
car was dropping from 5th to 3rd, that would be something to write home
about. She does not mention that the Check light comes on during this kind
of event.

Obviously, if the cam forgets where it is then the engine is not going to
run well, and this could explain all of the symptoms with a single cause.

Where does the cam sensor physically live on the M52 motor? What is the
price range for a new one?

Old June 30th 09, 10:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Smitter

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote:

> Where does the cam sensor physically live on the M52 motor? What is the
> price range for a new one?

I can't give exact locations, but there are both an intake and exhaust
sensor. They are different, but both retail for right at $110 US each.
You should be able to find them in the $50 to $70 range.

Old June 30th 09, 11:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Bob Smitter" > wrote in message
> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
>
>> Where does the cam sensor physically live on the M52 motor? What is the
>> price range for a new one?

> I can't give exact locations, but there are both an intake and exhaust
> sensor. They are different, but both retail for right at $110 US each.
> You should be able to find them in the $50 to $70 range.

My local Stealership has them in stock for $131.14, + tax.

Turns out, the intake cam sensor lives right next to the Oil Filter
Canister, and is easy to replace, if the directions I downloaded are
accurate. There is one screw holding the sensor on, but the screw is hidden
so other stuff has to come off first -- basically a hose or two and another
screw. The guy that did the write-up says an hour for the first time,
quicker after that.

Thanks.

Cam Position Sensor Scott Hughes[_2_] Mazda 6 September 27th 07 05:04 PM
Position sensor McNick Jeep 3 March 19th 06 02:38 PM
Is it possible to bypass the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor, Crankcase Position Sensor) Erich Jeep 16 January 30th 06 12:12 PM
AWA [OFFER] Wheel sensor;Crankshaf position sensor;camshaft sensor;knock sensor;phase s [email protected] General 0 January 10th 06 12:51 PM
P0340 Cam position sensor Jake292 Saturn 5 August 15th 05 07:23 PM