Running like new

Old October 14th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33 \(Life2Death\)

Default Running like new

Finally I got around to swapping my plugs out and switching to a better
synthetic -> 7500 mile Mobile 1 (Cheaper than the standard stuff, oddly!) I
also put a whole bottle of MMO in my tank when it was 1/4 full and gave her'
hell down the road, and for the first time my Saturn actually ran like new
and I could do a dry burnout.

Holy ****, AC Delco plugs own over trashy Bosch.

List of improvements in the past 3 months:
New plugwires (Autolite Pros)
New Plugs (ACDelco)
Oil Change (x2)
New battery
Degreased my engine
Switched to 89 Octane gasoline only
Switched oil filters back to ACDelco
New air filter (no need to mention this, since its a **** napa one that I
had to wedge in there. Total crap)

Needed upgrades:
New tires! I've never put new tires on this car, period. It has two tires
that came with it, and two used but decent tires put on.

Switch to a better air intake.

Old October 17th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33 \(Life2Death\)

A newer update. After driving it 14 hours this weekend (To Chicagoland and
back from Eau Claire, WI) it still runs great. Perhaps now I can invest more
money into more fun with my Saturn

Old October 18th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_6_]

"HyperCube33 (Life2Death)" > wrote in message
> <snip> List of improvements in the past 3 months:
> <snip> Switched to 89 Octane gasoline only

<snip>

Why 89? Why not, say, 93 (or even higher, if you can find it)?

Old October 18th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

Why waste more money? If the car was designed to run on 87 octane and has
fixed engine timing, then what purpose other than wasting money is served?
say this since I do not believe a 1997 Saturn SC engine can advance the
timing. (The OP did not list the vehicle either, so another assumption on
my part it is his '97.)

Note, I am not advocating using lower octane in vehicles designed to take
advantage of higher octane fuels.

Bob

Old October 19th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_6_]

> "Steve" m> wrote in
> message
>> "HyperCube33 (Life2Death)" > wrote in message
>>> <snip> List of improvements in the past 3 months:
>>> <snip> Switched to 89 Octane gasoline only

>> <snip>
>>
>> Why 89? Why not, say, 93 (or even higher, if you can find it)?

"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
. ..
> Why waste more money? If the car was designed to run on 87 octane and has
> fixed engine timing, then what purpose other than wasting money is served?
> <snip>
>
> Bob

Precisely why I asked. This has been discussed before here and there was
some disagreement, so I wanted to see what made the OP go for 89.

Old October 27th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33 \(Life2Death\)

Alright, good response. What is the model of filter you suggest I use?

My car has heavy deposits. I just noticed I didnt get the website suggested
oil (75,000 High milage or some****) I got the 7500 long life oil. But, I
must note that I have seen a drop in oil consumption to less than 1qrt per
400 miles (now using ACDELCO plugs - I am working on getting better ones
). from the hellishly high 1qrt every 200miles (with Bosch plugs as well)

Old October 27th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33 \(Life2Death\)

Well I read that it helps stop knocking or timing retardation.

Plus around here it used to not be any more expensive (that is until the
****ing corn farmers ran out of corn and whatever, and ethanol went up in
price.)

So I figured "what the hell."

Old October 27th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

As the earlier response noted, use Purolator Pure One (silver box). These
are pretty much the best filters available. You can find them occasionally
on sale and stock up. If you want to go with OEM equivalent, the Purolator
regular filters (blue box) are pretty good as well.

Bob